• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: More font-sorting options (Custom Folders, Color Coding)

Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2011 Jun 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i've loaded about 1'683 fonts... (more or less) in fontexplorer Pro i made beautiful sets (folders) to organise all of them. I sorted them by type (serif, sans-serif, pixel, whatsoever) it would be an major advantage that those folder or similar ones would appear in the font-lists.. because the alphabetical order is ok. but with too many fonts activated it's so boring to type you through the abc instead of check all fonts of a similar kind...

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015
You can now specify favorite fonts, and show similar fonts in Photoshop CC 2015.1 update that went out today: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/usi...

Votes

Translate

Translate
38 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2011 Jul 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add a way to categorize the fonts in Photoshop. I want to be able to create categories for all my fonts, like Grunge fonts, Handwritting, Linotype, Serious, Funny, Antique, etc. The list of font I currently have is so extensive that is hard to remember which fonts I have used in the past. If I had them by category it would be much faster. The idea is when I go to the font list, I will see first my 10 or 20 categories instead of 2000 fonts disorganized (or sorted out alphabetically).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2011 Jul 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New Character Panel where I can group my fonts in Folders or tagging them so I can organize better my activated font collection, instead of just scrolling trough all the alphabetically arange list of fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2011 Jul 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea. I'd actually like to have this functionality built into Bridge and based off tags that waterfall through all of my Adobe applications. It would be great to have a field to type in custom text and see it in the Preview window of Bridge with the selected font applied.

Being able to apply descriptive tags like Juan Vela suggested and then even giving out star ratings to the fonts would make it a snap to search through a huge library of fonts across all of my apps like Photoshop, Illustrator, or After Effects.

Even better would be the ability to add fonts into Smart Collections or tag them to specific projects as you begin the proposal phase or style guide exploration at the beginning of a project.

Bridge is such an underrated and powerful tool. I'd love to be able to use it with my font collections!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Aug 07, 2011 Aug 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% agree! I think Bridge would be the best place for a professional font management. Classes, Groups, Folders, Keywords, Tags and so on, of course accompanied by professional browsing features, hence the ability to see fonts in real and standard/sample contexts and so on.

I suggest to add diverse classical categories and other classes and keywords used by Adobe itself - Adobe would automatically classify an every font on our computer - and also offer a good way to create and customize our own classes as we need.

I also think that Bridge is a very important tool for CS users, but I really miss a professional font management. As I think: Bridge is the place for that!

Thanks, Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2011 Nov 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are people out there like me who have many different fonts. Maybe a better way to organize them would make life easier. A simple star next to the font name for every font you like, or perhaps go even further than that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2011 Nov 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any plans to add Font Manager inside CS line
because my system starts work very slowly if there thousands of fonts installed, i assume what those fonts are only be used with Photoshop, I think it is time what adobe guys add this module in future releases!

P.s I also know what there is a lot of third party plugins and tools, but I think they are all needless, it should be in CS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2011 Dec 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be such a big step forward!
Please add some kind of organising solution - or at least grouping - for fonts.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2012 Mar 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every designer computer have thousands of kinds of fonts, each time you select a font is a very troublesome one thing.

Here I do a font rendering of classification. We think this kind of function if come true?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 19, 2012 Mar 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the Font panel in top bar should remain more or less the same.
It should list the fonts which are in a Category (Main Category).
In Character floating panel (or a new Font Manager panel) you should have options to connect to Lintoype FontExplorer or any other font manager and be able to manage font yourself. Activate, deactivate fonts of entire Font Collections (folder) and put them to Main Category.
Or they could implement some sort of mini Font Manager inside Adobe softwares (PS, Ai, ID etc)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2012 Mar 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, i think a mini Font Manager inside Adobe softwares is good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2012 Mar 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 Suggestion - Would like the ability to manage fonts. Organize the font list by something other than alphabetical. Often I like to arrange / use fonts by style - western, gothic, serif, fantasy etc. When working on a project I know what genre of font I want, but not the given name in the list necessarily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2012 Mar 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would also like to hide some fonts that I will never use in thousand years, like these ones:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2012 Mar 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait Adobe to reply...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would love if fonts could be categorized - sans-serif, serif, special fonts, webdings, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it would be a good idea to be able categorize my fonts folder.
being a professional web designer i have hundreds of fonts installed, sometimes i just want to search through pixel fonts, sometimes just serif fonts, the ability to create individual categories would be really useful.

come on who's with me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2012 Oct 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd sure like to be able to somehow organize all my fonts in the font chooser drop down. And be able to create my own "groups" to assign my fonts to. Serif, San-Serif are the obvious places to begin, but I'd like to group in other categories... Serious, Funny, Decorative, Military, Grunge... that kind of thing.

I've seen font managers, but haven't seen anything that plugs into Photoshop. HELP!! I spend WAY too much time sorting thru my huge list!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2012 Oct 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be nice if one could "color coat" different things such as typefaces and brushes much like labeling on a mac. It would be easyer to organize things such as: blue for web, purple for magazine projects, favorites, ect. (would be nice on illustrator too)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 18, 2013 May 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please make a new feature in Photoshop to group fonts into folders. This would make EVERY designer's life so much easier since we all have tons of fonts and we would like to have ways to organize them so we can find the right font faster. The tool presets option for grouping fonts does not work, because it's a huge hassle and it does not let you switch fonts on an already-made layer after typing the text. EVERYBODY vote on this! You all know it will definitely make your lives SO MUCH EASIER!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 19, 2013 May 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Adobe is no longer going to sell apps in the box, I'll probably hang on to my copy of CS6. A third company, create a plugin for Photoshop.... Now THAT I would purchase!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2013 Jul 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there really still no way to group fonts in Type menus? The long single menu of fonts is practically unusable, and is a real productivity killer. How do other designers cope with this glaring problem, and why has Adobe still not addressed it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 11, 2013 Sep 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you enable a way to install fonts directly to photoshop so you would be able to make a custom folder for decent fonts? Like so you can make a folder called "Designer Fonts" and in there, you put very good fonts for design work. Too many times I would have to search for ages down a big list of mediocre fonts untill I end up typing in the one font I remember I like. (Typograph Pro)

Or better yet, you can just click "make custom font folder" and then drag good fonts into there from the drop down list. This would make my workflow much better.

Please consider this, as I don't think it would require much work to do this.

Thank you Adobe.
Keep on being awesome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2014 Feb 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Managing fonts when you have a butload of them is a pain ! It would be great if you would add a window like swatches for fonts, where fonts used in a project are displayed and also a tab where you could save fonts that you think would be good for this project when browsing trough them. Also a better font managing system/ viewer ... gotta have that first 😄 ... maybe then inside like a favourite system ,global and current project. That would do the trick also. And a way to categorize fonts ...idk if the author of the font can add a category or we would do that manually.... thx for reading my suggestion. Keep up the great work,you change our lives ❤️ 😄 Regards , Jaka (Slovenia EU)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2014 Feb 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ability to create folders and subfolders at the top of the font list, and drag & drop fonts into these folders to organize them would be amazing! Three potential types of 'master' folders could exist, 'Program Fonts', 'CS Fonts' and 'Projects'. 'Program Fonts' would contain font folders and sub-folders that only exist within Photoshop. In this way, a Photoshop user could create a "Weddings" font folder that only has fonts that are appropriate to that type of project. Folders under 'CS Fonts' would appear across all CS programs, so a collection of fonts in a 'Favorites' folder created in Photoshop, would also be available/modifiable in Illustrator and AE. The 'Projects' folder would automatically create a new folder for each Photoshop project created and keep track of all fonts used in that project. So should an editor need to reuse the same fonts that were used in another project, the editor could simply reference the font folder with that project name. For maximum usability, the same font should be able to occupy several folders, and font folders would need to have basic functionalities such as: renaming, twirling up/down, deleting and manual sorting.

Why is this feature important to you?
Having zero built-in font organization, is akin to using Photoshop/Illustrator without groups or individual layers. In other words, it's a complete mess. Why should CS users have to scroll through a list of 200+ installed fonts that are completely inappropriate for a certain title, every time they want to locate and compare the 5-10 fonts that are appropriate? Allowing this kind of built-in font organization, with a simple drag & drop interface, just like Photoshop allows users to create Groups and drag-drop appropriate layers into them, would be a God-send and set Adobe apart as the first software company to address font management in this way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2014 Mar 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you already thought about grouping fonts and color swatches? It would be interesting to apply a new font to the text like apply a color selected from pallette. I added concept preview image. Hope it will be useful :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 19, 2014 Mar 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your design is amazing

Votes

Translate

Translate