• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Please add AVIF file support

LEGEND ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With AVIF being supported in modern web browsers the need for AVIF as a save as option or export to option would be very helpful.  For those of us that still use Photoshop as a primary graphic editor (even for simple web sites) this will become more and more important as JPG's are replaced.

Idea Under review
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

We are evaluated adding support for AVIF to Photoshop.

Status Under review

Votes

Translate

Translate
44 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your comment. I changed this to an Idea so others can vote on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am also interested to know an estimated release date for supporting export to the new image standard for web : avif.

Best regards,

Romain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the image version of the AV1 video codec AVIF becoming standards and already being supported by Windows, Chrome, Firefox, Opera and even some android devices and browsers.

I am getting more and more requests from clients to deliver AVIF due to the superior compression and color options.

Also, I have never seen any new codec be adapted and pushed this much. It looks like the development and integration is surprisingly rapid for avif with even WordPress and others already announcing native support.

It would be nice to see Photoshop not falling behind and adding support asap for what looks to be the new standard codec for image content delivery online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is definitely necessary; AVIF is quickly becoming a standard format on the web. Note that GIMP has already added AVIF support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Gladamas it certainly has gained a ton of interest and attention. Not sure I'd  go as far as calling it a standard. It does provide a lot that ppl would want in a modern image format though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super curious as to why they might wait to implement AVIF. Adobe is part of the AOM as one of many supporting partners, and we are seeing support today from much smaller (and maybe more nimble?) apps (GIMP, Squoosh!) and some CDNs.
But added and in a separate convo but one about modern formats, I'm also curious to see if they have plans about the JPEG XL. This is being supported by the JPEG committee, and promoted by google x cloudinary (format authors). A format with very modern features, and support from Adobe would also go a long way. TBC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rick  Chrome added support for Avif, Windows 10 added support for Avif,

I converted all my photos to Avif, but I still can't open Avif in Photoshop.

is it enough voting for Avif? 🙂

Would you please add Avif support to Photoshop, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome/Chromium based browsers has supported AVIF for a long time, and you can enable it in Firefox betas. Looks like Mozilla are going to support it officially in Firefox from version 86 (ETA 2021-02-23): https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1682995

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rocklanddk 

AVIF spec was finalized, and 1.0 was launched Feb 2019, so it’s 2 yrs old next month. Chrome added support in 85 which was released August 2020 (desktop) , Opera added it the following month. Firefox has it going stable next month indeed in 86 (which is now where Nightly is at btw). So March will be 6 months of stable AVIF support from 2 Chromium based browsers on desktop. Edge is working on it ( https://twitter.com/ericlaw/status/1343797396422144001?s=21

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rick Hello Rick. Even Netflix is using AVIF format to speed up their online videostreaming catalog. I guess their designers are forced to rely on external programs/plugins since Photoshop lacks AVIF support.

Just a thought.

Edit: the link i gave is worth reading,

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please! I've been converting my images online so far in converters like https://avif.io/, but an inbuilt solution for Photoshop would be much appreciated!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I developed a Photoshop file format plug-in for AVIF images.

The plug-in supports loading and saving single images using 8, 10 or 12 bits-per-channel, image sequences and animations are not supported.

Lossless RGB compression is supported when saving 8-bits-per-channel images, the plug-in considers all bit-depth conversions to be lossy.

Photoshop edits 10-bit and 12-bit data as 16-bit which then has to be remapped to the 10-bit or 12-bit range when saving, and converting 8-bit data to 10-bit or 12-bit will cause a loss of precision.

https://github.com/0xC0000054/avif-format

The plug-in is currently only available for Windows, but it should be possible to port it to macOS.

It uses libheif with the AOM decoder and encoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool. looking forward to try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For general information. Release of AVIF support in Firefox was postponed. Mozilla are going to add/fix support for colorprofiles first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Status Under review

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need AVIF support too.  I just got asked for this as well, and I need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This shouldn't even be a question. The question should be, will AVIF and WEBP format support be available in the next upgrade or the one after that? My websites are all getting dinged by Google now in terms of searchability because my images aren't uploaded in one of those two formats. I go to create a workflow to convert all images and find that I can't do it with my (very expensive) Adobe Creative Cloud tools.  What gives, Adobe?  Too busy deprecating my hardware and tinkering with your 3D options?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 3rd-party file format plugins that provide support for AVIF and WEBP.

I wrote an AVIF file format plugin for Windows that I mentioned earlier in this thread:  https://github.com/0xC0000054/avif-format

Google provides a WEBP file format plugin for Windows and macOS: https://github.com/webmproject/WebPShop 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is third party software for pretty much everything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting ridiculous that this isn't in here yet, so much of the web is now WEBP or AVIF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @strawbo13 

Any news?

In other news: Apple just announced they are adding AVIF support to iOS, MacOS and Safari.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's crazy that behemoths with huge resources at their disposal, are so slow to follow even after 2 years the evolution of the DIGITAL DESIGN STANDARDS !

Dear @strawbo13, I unsterstand that a behemoth like Adobe has a lot of complexity in its producing, but 2 years man, really??

After 2 years that industry top players like Google started to intergrate a new & better file format, and still no news from Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man, that took you guys so long and you've been so aloof and unresponsive about it.  Not a great look, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A year on from the offical 'correct' answer from Adobe, and this format is still not supported.
That's some serious evaluating you guy are doing. Especially as Adobe is an active member of the Alliance for Open Media, which developed the codec in the first place!

Votes

Translate

Translate