I use the picture package in Photoshop CS4 but in CS5 it craches

Idea Under review
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 01, 2012 Nov 01, 2012
Yes, we do read these requests and we are looking at ways to modernize and provide better ways to produce picture packages in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 31, 2012 Oct 31, 2012
Picture Package didn't make the transition to 64-bit in CS6. You could run it in 32-bit in CS5: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

There are a couple of work arounds for CS6:

You can create templates using Smart Objects and the Replace Contents command to populate the template in one swoop. There are a number of tutorials on this method:

http://www.tipsquirrel.com/picture-pa...

http://www.creativepro.com/files/stor...

John McAssey has some nice tools on his site and a script here:

http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/Ph...

Votes

Translate

Translate
33 Comments
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2012 Oct 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did the "picture package" script go? In Photoshop 6, there doesn't seem to be anything that replaces the picture package functionality. I know a lot of folks will miss it, and they'll have to keep an older version of Photoshop around just for that. Very aggravating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used this feature a ton in past versions of photoshop, and now it doesn't appear to be included in the latest version. Any workarounds? Any plans to include it soon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great if picture package could be returned as a plug-in for CS6. I really miss it and judging by the Photosop blog so do many others

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just upgraded from CS4 to CS6 Extended and started out excited to learn all of the new features that this offered. In CS4 I was able to find the Picture Package function that existed before and add it back in. I called today to see how to do this extremely important function to resize my photos for printing and was told that there isn't any way to do it as an action (with Picture Package) like before. Now my excitment of learning all the new features in CS6 just turned to dispair since the lost feature now means litterly hundreds of hours of extra work to make up for what used to take seconds to create. To explain further I create an 8x10 size for my customers and then resized them to various sizes for printing up the package they purchased from me. Examples pages are 2-4x5s and 4 wallets, 4-4x5s, 2-5x7 and 8 wallets. I was instructed to try the function in Bridge but those setup in the Output section cannot be saved so that would take even longer to set them up separately each and every time I print them. I am a bit shocked that this function was lost and cannot help but wonder what others are doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Picture Package didn't make the transition to 64-bit in CS6. You could run it in 32-bit in CS5: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

There are a couple of work arounds for CS6:

You can create templates using Smart Objects and the Replace Contents command to populate the template in one swoop. There are a number of tutorials on this method:

http://www.tipsquirrel.com/picture-pa...

http://www.creativepro.com/files/stor...

John McAssey has some nice tools on his site and a script here:

http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/Ph...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I've said this before (maybe in other topics... crop tool?), but I sincerely feel that Adobe has forgotten that the name Photohop actually has the work 'photo' in it. Whoever made the decision to discontinue picture package has either never worked in a studio setting or has stock in a RIP program. (We've spent enough money paying for Adobe products, there are no funds left for RIP programs - especially considering the enormous cost of one.) We use the picture package script every day - many, many times a day. I have had to go back to using PS5 where at least the script was offered as a goody. Folks have recommended either creating PDF's in Bridge or creating Smart Object templates. Creating a PDF is a pain because you have to save it to get it back into Photoshop to print it. Creating Smart Object templates is also a pain in the rear because you have to create a template for every single option - both vertical and horizontal. Both options add so much time to my workflow that I've been forced back to PS5. Yes, it's fun to have the added features in PS6, but those 'fun' features are not worth the additional time in my workflow. I really, really dislike PS6, and unless things change, PS5 may be the last PS I ever really use. I feel like the upgrade to PS6 was just a waste of money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

........work arounds, schmirkarounds, who has the time and who needs the aggravation to jump through hoops to do something that should have never been eliminated to begin with; the best solution is for Adobe to simply make picture package work in CS6. I haven't used CS6 since I bought it and installed it. THANK GOODNESS I've kept working copies of previous versions because that's what I use every day. Most of the tool improvements with CS6 aren't much to write home about anyway.....I was doing most of that stuff manually with CS4 already and it works better my way anyway. I AGREE with Orazi's post....whoever decided to discontinue "picture package" never worked much in a family portrait studio. Simply put, computers and computer software are supposed to make our lives easier......remember? BY THE WAY, upgrades, by definition, suggest a product has ADDITIONAL features compared to the previous one, not less!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2012 Nov 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do Adobe read this forum. If you do pleas relpay so ve know wath you think.
I use the Picture Package for Scoolpackage and thank you cards se picture.
Sorry about the spelling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2012 Nov 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we do read these requests and we are looking at ways to modernize and provide better ways to produce picture packages in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2012 Nov 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say that this method of getting help is better than calling Adobe directly. I called twice and spent a total of 5 hours on the phone mostly waiting to talk to someone. First guy had no clue what I was talking about and spent the time (hours) searching for it until my phone went to a fast busy but the second guy just said sorry it doesn't exist. This seems to have gotten answers right away and that is supper. I have looked at the solutions suggested and the smart object might work but it will take time to set up time I don't have right now (my goal is to create an action so I just have to play with that idea) .... here is my suggestion and what I will do until Adobe addresses this (assuming they will) ...

First create a new action ... sample for 2 4x5s and 4 wallets (a bit smaller not standard wallet size).

Duplicate the page you have and want to make a pic pack for the two sizes you need to for this 8.5x11 page.

Resize the first duplicate to the the wallet size (note I have created an action to turn the image into a portrait mode if it is landscape so hit that first if needed) and resize one side of the wallet in this portrait mode picture then flatten the image.

Then click on the original document and resize it to be a 4x5 and flatten.

Now create a new blank file 8x10 with the dpi size you use. End the Action.

Then by hand drag the wallet to the blank page and position it; hold the "Alt" key and drag a copy below it and repeat this until you have 4 wallets on the blank taking up that column. Then by hand drag the 4x5 onto the blank and use the "Alt" key to drag a new copy below that one. Flatten all and send it to your printer.

Far more of a pain than a single hit of an action key but it is quite fast and easy to set up. For those who are better at this than I please provide the steps that could be used in the action to complete this process, as I don't know how. One final note. If you set up two 5x7s by example the resizing of the image from an 8x10 would automatically make it 5.6x7 in that case I don't flatten the newly created item as part of the action. This allows you to re-arrange the layers on the 5.6x7 to then crop it to make a 5x7, then I just copy it to the blank, duplicate it to make two then flatten and print it. Hope that makes some sense and I hope that someone can fill in the blanks with other action examples to replace the Picture Package ... that would be worth its weight in gold. One action for all of the standard sizes needed. Let me lay out a challenge to those capable to create it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, I'm too busy (or lazy) to go through all the hassle of setting up actions, etc. to take the place of something Adobe already had as a very simple automated process. Why they didn't include Picture Package in their latest versions of PS, I couldn't possibly guess. Listen to your customers Adobe and put Picture Package back in. Please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.......suggestions are always welcomed but as I've said before, as consumers we've spent the money for the upgrade and upgrades by definition mean ADDING ON to a product, not taking away. Adobe needs to address this picture package issue soon and stop making their loyal customers jump through hoops over something like this. I could understand if it were something that was seldom used. Thank goodness I kept my previous version of CS4.....it's all I use. I'll use CS6 again when Adobe finds a way to add back Picture Package.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben I took the picture package and made an action from them allowing me to create the page I needed for that customer and never leave the screen, send it to the printer. In doing so it was with far less work than actually opening the picture package process. Actions just record the steps you are taking and if you do those steps many times a day you can learn to set up actions and save countless hours of things you do everyday. For me F3 makes an 11x14 (not flattened so I can rearrange the layers to make it look good but then I just send it to the printer. F2 switches it from landscape to portrait. Neither of these examples are a big deal but hitting those keys many times a day saves me hours of work. From a fellow photographer look at your day and see what you do often and then record your steps once and you will save much time after the action is created.

Wayne I agree with you completely but there might be technical reasons why it became more difficult, I for one don't know. If enough complain Adobe will fix it if not then we need a work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2012 Nov 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well here we are again. I sent a follow up to Adobe about this thread and comments. They called me yesterday after I left, this morning I called back and were again told that they removed it in CS6, like they never read my comments. I have tried the Smart Image process and it works well but you need to open the file to create a package from an image and that cannot work using an action or at least I don't know how to.

They suggested I go to Adobe.com and fill out a Feature Request form. Ultimately I ended up back here ... so here is the request for Photoshop to bring back the Picture Package feature, I guess this is the form???

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2013 Oct 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not export individual layers to Lightroom so how do I print these directly from Photoshop like I have always done in previous versions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2013 Oct 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too struggled when I first upgraded as you can note on my comment about a year ago. I have found however that I just needed to get comfortable and change my work flow using the smart images. It took a bit (hour) or so to understand but it works well and I have since set up one for 8 Wallets (note not exact size but based on 8x10 reduction - hope that makes sense to you), one for 2 - 4x5s with 4 wallets, one for 4 - 4x5s. I print on 8 1/2 X 11 paper on an Epson 3880. I was going to upload it here but if I see it correctly it isn't allowed, only pics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2013 Oct 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Thanks for the reply. I would really appreciate it if you could email it to me at ledeane@hotmail.com I really don't know where to find instructions for this and it is really obvious Adobe doesn't monitor this blog. So thanks very much! jc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Valorous Hero ,
Oct 29, 2013 Oct 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run Picture Package with Photoshop CS6 64bit (Windows)
To install download the Photoshop CS5 Optional Plugins from...
http://www.adobe.com/support/download...
Follow the instructions to install.
Then remove the ContactSheetII.jsx from the applications preset/scripts folder.

N.B. This is WINDOWS ONLY.

Doing this fixs the problem of creating your own contact sheet via scripting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2013 Oct 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul I saw your note and it is great that you got it to work. I almost went to the link to get it up and running. I suspect that at some point it may not be possible. Changing to the use of smart images isn't that bad and that fixes the issue for everything in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 09, 2014 Apr 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I download 'picture package' to an iMac using CS6? and why is it that Adobe keeps doing dumb things like eliminating features that numerous people use daily - right now I am continuing to use CS3 on a PC so that I can use this feature...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2014 Apr 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to say Dan that as far as I know the picture package method is history. If you read through this thread you can (fairly easily) set up a photo shop file that uses smart objects. There is a learning curve and you might need to change the work flow you currently use. A pain but in my opinion, it is as easy if not easier than before. If you like I can send you some of the ones I use (I have created 4 of them), just let me know. Good Luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2014 Oct 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use photoshop Picture Package 2 or 3 times a day,
I do passport pictures with them.... why would Adobe not allow it in CC???? it's crazy... I'll cancel cloud and go back to what works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2014 Oct 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too got frustrated when I first upgraded and used it 20-50 times a day, but the new method makes you change your work flow a bit but is truly as easy. If you send me an email I can send you a mock up of 8-wallets, 2-4x5s and 4 wallets or 4-4x5. Keep in mind you loose a bit on the wallets sizes verse normal size wallets but if you have been using Picture Package then your customers are used to the change already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2014 Oct 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i do passports in picture package i can do 2 wallets each for 4 people. Are you able to do this as well? I dont need 8 wallets of one image. Sometimes i have just one person and print only 2 wallets. My email is ker.ink@sasktel.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2014 Oct 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My email is ker.ink@sasktel.net
thank you so much
are you able to put more than one image in the 8 wallet?

Votes

Translate

Translate