• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Please let us change the Pen tool path size and color

LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2011 Mar 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes the whole "shades of grey" thing just doesn't cut it, and becomes very hard to follow.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017
FYI everyone, the latest release of Ps CC2018 now has path color and thickness options!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 110 Replies 110
110 Comments
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you lent your support to the existing Warp-Feature Request thread/s? 
Personally I expect little development there as Illustrator’s Envelope Distort offers a work-around not within Photoshop but within a »sibling«-application. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course - multiple times. My take on it is adding Bezier curves warping like you are using the path tool and have it inside something like Liquify so you can save and load meshes.
I do not use Illustrator nor do I own (rent) it. If similar features are available in a sibling application - why should it be so difficult to add to PS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While something working in one application certainly proves that it is possible to achieve it may not be at all easy to transfer the functionality into another application that has a different code-base (not sure that term is correct here, though). 
And adding or improving or even fixing any feature should mean an expenditure of resources in coding and testing, so I guess there is something like a »natural inertia« to overcome each time. 

I would welcome an improvement of Photoshop’s Warp functionality but I think I understand why it may not happen any time soon ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably an aged old issue with photoshop.  Is there any plan to have options for the pen path tool?  I am going blind working with it on the mac.  The path line is so thin it blends into the image.  The following two features would be nice.

1.  Have the option to change the color of the pen path.
2.  Have the option to change the thickness of the pen path as it's being created.

I have searched and it seemed like there are also tons of other users requesting these features.  Do developers actually read these forums or it's just a place for us to rant?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(since this wasn't carried over in the merger...)

It is indeed an old issue that Adobe has flat out ignored. From 6 years ago, Adobe's Chris Cox on this very forum: Please let us change the Pen tool path color
As explained above, we cannot go back to the way it was in CS3 because the blend modes we used are not available in OpenGL, or in the Cocoa API for MacOS.
It's the "...because the blend modes we used are not available in OpenGL..." that kills me. Adobe wrote code that isn't compatible with OpenGL, a universal graphics standard? Who's fault is that? I mean honestly Adobe, just make a new blend mode already for God's sake!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... 6 years on and the situation remains unchanged. I am struggling to compose a response that doesn't involve swearing. In any case this neatly demonstrates that Adobe have precisely zero interest in meeting the needs of their users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't see paths on imac lines too thin and light

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

**DEVELOPERS ONLY RESPOND/ normal user responses not needed thanks!**
**IF YOU ARE NOT A DEVELOPER PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS POST!**

Photoshop New Feature Suggestion: Anchor size display increase

Dear Adobe, I don't want to come off rude, or toxic to you. However I am quite angry with your product at this point in 2017.

I am using an older version of the product Adobe PS CC 2015.

It is old, but new enough, It should have some pretty modern features.
I am very surprised at the current generation, of PS, and its current lack,
of ability to communicate with its frustrated users, and improve its product.
How is this done effectively and efficiently? COMMUNITY COMMUNITY COMMUNITY.
Products are best improved through the open suggestion and features, and bugs forums, of the user community, not through bug testers, or whatever current broken system you have now.

Finally, I have arrived here, to tell you about this feature that should have already been in my current version of adobe cc 2015, yet should have come 10 years ago.

because you are not getting a regular and strong daily/monthly/yearly feedback from the millions of users on your product, it simply has never improved in the areas it needs to.
dead essentially.

The feature we all know and use everyday the pen tool. 
Problem: Anchor display size is not customize able.
Please fix the issue, and create a back update for all previous versions of photoshop.

Personally, since this BUG should have been fixed 10 years ago, I should be calling this a bug, and not a new feature suggestion. However yea that is me just being nice.

regardless of all my negativity. I am glad to finally have found some place on some official forums sending a msg to adobe.

Furthermore: I am very frustrated, when I am seeing automated responses from your company leading to a solution, that does not solve this what should be a very simple and quick fix.

Instead I am hearing things like, oh add this layer, and name this bla bla bla bla, FIX THE ISSUE!
or..
Oh just import to illustrator......
yea again.. I dont want to use illustrator.. fix the problem in PS.
Other people differing to another product or faulty work around, is a huge sign your product is broken. meanwhile. your product is losing in todays market, because it has stopped evolving and changing, and paying attention to the current market trends.

Instead of improving, you continue to make 50 million useless products that nobody needs.
I prefer to do mostly everything I can in PS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pen Tool would allow us to easily change the path (Control line ) thickness and color change.
because they are problem on big screen;( like a Imac 5k retina display ) pen tool control line visibility is very poor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Path UI improvements are on the horizon. Stay tuned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great to hear, Jeff. Thank you for the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey,

I'm the original poster of this request (different name after getting married), and I'm absolutely thrilled to hear that there are improvements coming for the tool that I use more often than any other in Photoshop.

Thank you for the update. =0)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally! Great to hear it, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI everyone, the latest release of Ps CC2018 now has path color and thickness options!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

woohoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing! It's hard to believe that it's been seven years since I first suggested this, and that it's finally come together. I'm going to wait a few days to install the update (because that's just good practice), but I'm very much looking forward to seeing the changes in action.

Thank you Photoshop dev crew!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to have a potted inside dummies history of why and how this took so long. I'm sure there are reasons but I'd kinda like to have some insight into this kind of industrial history. I mean was it all technical or were there some internal politics or what? Where you digital industrial historians of Adobe? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They do keep giving us glimpses into how they work, but it helps to listen to throwaway explanations over years of following along. It's not just technical or internal politics.

It must have taken at least 6-7 years to give me more Color Samplers from the time I first started asking, and fix it so I didn't have to change the color mode of each sampler individually. It wasn't at the top of enough lists. How many of you use the Info panel extensively to edit images and complain about it constantly? It's used mostly with Curves, and everyone still calls Curves "advanced." We Curves users haven't had a Curves panel redesign ever—if you don't count adding the Targeted Adjustment tool, and I don't.

Think about the new Brush preset management. I know that's been at the top of my list for seems like a decade. I've complained constantly about trying to use the presets we easily create, find free on the web, purchase, only to have them all tossed into the same drawer never to be found again. Now I'm finally getting not only Brushes, but Tool Presets fixed. Still have nothing for Swatches or Layer Styles, etc. But  I'm at least hopeful again, and Brushes were the worst.

I'll bet, though, if you polled every one of the millions who use Photoshop, better selection tools would come in way ahead of better preset management. I'll bet you most users don't have 1000+ brushes, or even more than ship with PS. So they're going to work a lot harder to improve their selection tools than they are on revising brush management, which worked well enough, unlike the selection tools, but was very, very inconvenient. They're still working on the selection tools, but they always try to give us something else fewer users want, but that will make enough of a difference to enough of them to go forward.

To me, not being able to find my vastly improved Color Samplers is more important than colorful paths and big anchors and handles. While you all finally got those paths (and I'm glad for it for you and myself for when I do use paths in PS instead of AI) I'm still playing Where's Waldo with color samplers LONG after I stopped playing it with my kids.<G>

I don't know what Adobe can exactly tell us about their process than they already have. I know that every time I think something we should have is so obvious, 10 other people immediately tell me they never do what I do and really think something I haven't been bothered by is what's missing. So we just keep asking and eventually that feature that makes a huge difference in our own workflow may get implemented. They conduct surveys, collect usage data, listen to us here, and research the direction the industry is taking. They're not going to be any more transparent with us than that, but it's not as simple as "how easy can it be to do this one thing." There are simply too many things when you're remodeling to make them all equal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am finally using CC 2018 after the healing brush was fixed so I can now use the new color stroke for the pen tool. FINALLY! How many years did we have to wait for this? About 8? I think it was the change from CS5 to CS6 where we couldn't see the path line (allegedly Apple's fault). Why do essential fixes like this take so long? I am happy to use it now but it has been so frustrating for years. The pen tool is not an obscure feature for pro users - I have to use it everyday! Sorry I have nothing new to contribute to the discussion I just had to get that rant off my chest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the change? All I want is a thicker line and larger anchor points. I can't see if a point is black or white or the plus and minus signs are visible. I just talked with text who said can't be done. Please someone post an easy work around. HOW HARD IS THIS PROBLEM TO FIX CONSIDERING THE NEW CURVATURE MUST HAVE TAKEN A YEAR TO DEVELOPE. DOES EVERY ONE AT ADOBE HAVE THE EYSIGHT OF THE 6 MILLION DOLLAR MAN?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a thicker line and it's much better than in previous versions.  What version of PS are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it helps, making sure the pen tool is selected, go to the top of the screen and click on the little cogwheel settings button.  You can set the stroke and colour values for the pen tool there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

with selection option the the wheel is greyed out. Only works with shapes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest version cc2109.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try looking in Preferences> Guides, Grids, and Slices. (I know, not exactly intuitive). Almost at the bottom there's a Path option where you can set up to a 3 pixel width (and the anchors scale with it), as well as a color.

If you need to make changes to either line thickness or color on the fly, it's under the cog wheel on the Options bar when the Pen tool is selected, as Mr. Blacker said. Choose it as soon as you've selected the Pen tool, before you try click on anything else in the Options bar. It works for both Shape and Path.

If not, you may have some kind of corruption in your interface, and it would help if you showed a screenshot of the missing Cog Wheel option when either Path or Shape is selected in the Options bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate