• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Save for Web should respect "Save As" to original folder preference

LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Say I'm working on two projects, I have 2 psd's open. If I do save as for web/save as.. it selects the last folder used. Which is actually useful - but sometimes it's a curse. We need an option to turn this "feature" off. To have the option of saving for web/as in the same folder as the current psd.

Let me explain why.
Project_1: Is in C:/project_1/designs
Project_2: Is in C:/project_2/designs

Say i have a psd open from both projects or i switch regularly between the two. If i want to save out a jpg from project1 and then save out a jpg from project2 - when saving a jpg for project2 it will select project1's folder because that was the last used folder. This is a HUGE pain. I have to literary jump through dozens of folders everytime i switch project.(The above was a simple file structure - but the large projects i work on have a more complicated folder tree).

It would be a HUGE HUGE HUGE help if there was an option that would turn OFF "remember the last saved folder" and instead save in the same folder as the psd...because at least even if i keep my jpgs seperate from my psd, it's faster for people to navigate from a relevant project folder than a folder in a completely different project.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
24 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you want Save For Web to respect, or behave like Save As does, when the preference for File Handling>Save As to Original Folder is checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 29, 2013 Jan 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too would like this feature. The current "last folder" behavior is useful about hanf the time, and the other half it is a nuisance. Ideally there could be two "save" buttons (one for each option; or current solution with added "save to original folder), or a radio button on the "save for web" pane allowing you to toggle this option.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you add your +1 vote to the topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeffrey! Clearly I'm new to this forum... Now with +2 we're unstoppable 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2013 Sep 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. We need this save in the same folder as the psd feature!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2014 Dec 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it stands right now, when you attempt to "Save for Web", the folder it saves to is the last folder you selected when using "Save for Web" the previous time.

I would like the option to "Save for Web" into the original folder of the PSD, by default. That's the way "Save As" works when you have "Save As to Original Folder" checked under the file handling menu.

Please, please, please, make this simple fix happen. I can't count how much time I've wasted navigating through my folders in order to save a file to the same folder that the PSD resides.

I beg you Adobe, give us this option!

Thanks for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 29, 2014 Dec 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ho my god, I happy to see I'm not the only one losing hairs on this. It's making me CRAZY! 90% of the time my "save for web" images are saved in the same folder as the original file. It's a real nuisance to open the right folder again and again to save the file... are we really the only one with this problem??

I double beg you Adobe!! All the precious time PS saves me is lost with those kind of things...

Thank you :)

P.S. Everyone don't forget to VOTE for this request in order to make it a priority!! (+1 at the top)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 29, 2014 Dec 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey, any development?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2015 Oct 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's so brutally inefficient, I can't believe no one has done anything about it as of yet. It also sounds like a fairly easy one to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be possible to remember the previous "Save for Web" file location of the current file.
Right now, the location of the previous file is remembered by default. Maybe store the location in the PSD file whenever a "Save for Web" is done. InDesign behaves like this for PDF exports.

This would be a huge time saver for me since I export several files to several locations regularly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I'd like this feature too! It could be really useful for me and should speed up a lot my work! Also, the size optimization value could be saved on each PSD. I hope someone will look at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i imagine they thought that Export As would somehow be the fix for this, but then Export was never finished and here we are...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has made me crazy for years. I'm hoping they add a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click "Save for Web", there is an option to save to another folder.  However, a newly created  folder doesn't appear in the list of options.  Once the new folder is made is made to appear in the list of options, (and I can't figure out how to do this), and is chosen once, then  it seems to be used from then on as the default destination.  Can anyone tell me how to get a newly created folder to appear in the "recents" list of options?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys, I can see this has been an issue for you for as long as it has been for me! I'll give you another example why this would be a fantastic feature to have!
At my company we've decided we want the product images listed on magento resized and saved for web manually by ourselves instead of the website doing it automatically from a larger file (also saved for web previously). So the job is now to go into each folder of 1000+ products, drag an image into photoshop and save if for web in the same location. As you can imagine the folder tree for 1000+ items is enormous. So I created an action that, when played, it resizes to specified size, exports 'save for web' and closes the file down. Then I can drag another and press play. But obviously that wouldn't work, so I had to create a folder on my desktop called 'save for web' and that's where I save all my files and drag them from there to the folder I originally used to open the image from. It's a quick fix but very painful! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm simply using DefaultFolder X with this setting, it saved a lot of my time 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop v12 and there is still no any development for this issue.. This is yet another proof of the team of Photoshop development are not aware of users needs and problems. What a shame! Shine the user!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

since we already paid lots of money, they do no longer need to respect our opinions on this topic, we can just assume it is rejected to be fixed and continue to use jsx based solutions for this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's interesting is that if you go to Preferences > Export... there is an 'Export as Location' to 'Export assets to the same folder as location'. This preference is intended for the File, Export, Export As... menu item.

'Save for web..' should have its own tick box since it is different than 'Export as...'. However, ticking the above-mentioned box intended for the 'Export As' command 'fixes' the issue for Save for Web in macOS!! Though it may be an unintentional 'bug'. This is NOT the case when running Photoshop on Windows. So, one of the two is bugged or not running as intended.

It's kinda nice on mac that this option works for Save for Web after like two decades of not having the option! But it would be even better if 'Save for web...' got its own tick box in this section.

I guess for now if you need to 'Save for web...' in the same folder as the original file use macOS with the Export as, at least for the time being on Photoshop 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, a decade later with no fix for this. I've been using "Save for Web"  to export assets for about seven years now, dozens of times per day. The last file location is never needed based on my folder structure, leaving me to search for the correct folder every time. Seems like an easy fix that has been ignored for too long. Thanks for the constant disappointment Adobe. I'll figure out the math and send you an invoice for all the unnecessary time I spent saving files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mikesamson Unfortunately, Adobe abandoned SFW a few years ago and now dedicates their resources to Export As, which has been mostly unusable since its introduction. I don't really understand what their priorities are here, as they're definitely not concerned with people who need to use the tool with any regularity or in a professional environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export as can not be recorded in action, save for web can not save in the original folder. File > Scripts > Image Processor sucks because the quality to size ratio is outrageous. So if you want to optimize images in a folder tree, photoshop is useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2024 Apr 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adding my own desire for such an improvement. I have a repeatable process which requires being able to slice and name files in Save for Web. The next step of optimisation would be a feature akin to this, so the Action and SFW function can be effectively used by both Windows and Mac users, because for now it requires a specific file path.

Votes

Translate

Translate