• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Freezing, cursor stuck when scrolling/flick panning

Participant ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, over the years we've generally found Photoshop to be one of the most stable of all apps we use. But lately, it's been freezing a lot when doing relatively simple editing. We've updated to the very latest version (21.1.2) on a late 2013 Mac Pro with 24GB RAM. 

What seems to be causing the freeze is just scrolling around a zoomed-in image when using the spot healing brush tool on grayscale TIF images that aren't overly huge or complex. But this may just be coincidence since it's a pretty common task. But using the space-bar scroll will just suddenly freeze and the image becomes completely unresponsive. Fortunately, I am typically still able to access menus, including 'File/Save'! Sometimes I'm able to just save & re-open the file to get it to work again, other times I must restart PS.

- Is this common? 

- Anything we can try to resolove (if clearing prefs, any specific - as they seem to be pretty widespread and in multiple places)?

Seems like this has only recently started happening, so not sure if one of the recent updates has caused this. We've never experienced this kind of thing with PS over the years.

Thanks! 

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Go to Preferences > Tools... and uncheck "Enable Flick Panning" and "Animated Zoom". Restart Photoshop. Does the problem go away?

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 147 Replies 147
147 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a problem for a while, where I have a few PSD files open and the one I'm working on will 'freeze'. I can't interact with it in any way - even changing the tool I'm using (ex. brush to wand) won't change the cursor while it's over the document. Thankfully I can save the file and reopen it. Strangely it only affects one file at a time - the other files that are open can still be worked on. It might be worth noting that I usually work in a 2-up horizontal layout with images side by side.

Finally, today I discovered that it seems to be related to flick panning. I disabled it and haven't had the problem since. It's a terrible fix though, given that non-flick panning was slow when it worked well, and has become even worse in the latest version where you must wait for the image to catch up after panning.

Has anyone else experience this and possibly found a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has driven me crazy the last couple weeks also. Every couple minutes I have to save the file and reopen it. It only occurs when I'm flick panning, a feature I didn't realize I could turn off. Giving that a go so thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've given up and gone back to v 20.0.8. I trieid earlier versions of 21.x but they all have different bugs (ex. tool presets vanishing every time you restart PS). So far I have about 30 hours of work done with 20.0.8 and flick panning hasn't been a problem. Hopefully they get a fix for the latest version, but I've heard so little about it I'm not sure if it's even on their radar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, or my image gets stuck in the right bottom corner somehow. I'm on windows, PS 21.1.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a project. Suddenly, the brush tool (but also any other tools) turns into regular "arrow" cursor and stays that way. Since now, I am not able to do anything: I can click whenever I want (tool bar, layers, panels etc, work area) but nothing happens. The only thing I can do is to save the project, close it and reopen so I can continue the work (I dont have to close Photoshop, just the project I work on).

It's been happening since last update, on every project I did, sometimes one time per hour, sometimes more. Reseting Photoshop settings doesn't help. I work on Windows 10 and use Wacom Intuos4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

Does switching to another application and back have any effect? 

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far? 

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After turning off »Use Graphics Processor« everything seems to work. What could that mean?

I would prefer to keep that feature on.

As I mentioned before, it started to happen right after I update Photoshop to its newest version, I also restored the preferences earlier and it didn't fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Argh, just happened again. I was once again zoomed-in a bit on an image and in the process of scrolling (space-bar drag) the image when it just froze. It seems like it is just the image window that is freezing. I can switch tools, turn layers on/off, etc. Even zooming using Navigator 'appears' to work, it's just that the image display does not change at all. I have to Save & Close the image, then re-open to get through it.

- Any ideas? This is starting to happen fairly freqently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I also have a problem with freezing. Good that I'm not alone with it, bad that there doesn't seem to be a real solution for weeks unless you go back a few versions (PS2019). So it's more the program itself than the operating system. I have also worked with competing products (Pix... & Aff...) and both of them are not frozen. But no agency standard yet.

Here are my reports on it from an "f...." expensive Mac Pro from work. On a clean install... just to make sure 🙂

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-21-1-2-freezing-on-catalina-10-15-4...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-21-1-2-freezing-on-catalina-10-15-4-system-freezi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem and have done for a couple of months. I have read multiple feeds of others with the same problem regardless of the layout they are working on. What is Adobe doing to rectify this???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue for the last couple of months already... already made a different post about it but still no fix.

This really slows down the workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First try Edit > Preferences > Performance and check on Legacy Compositing as well as tamping down the Drawing Mode of your GPU under Advanced Settings.PS 2020 Performance.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll add myself to the list of users experiencing this problem when working on large multi layer files. the only saving grace is that I am able to save the file upon freeze close it and reopen it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Really disruptive to work flow. I use PS more for painting than editing so i frequently zoom in and move the viewing area around. i can't quite place what exactly causes it but generally it comes when i do a series of quick movements/inputs. Was never a problem in legacy versions. Hope theres a fix or if i'm missing something please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to comment here since there's no solution posted in this thread. The changes gener7 mentioned, Drawing mode and Legacy Compositing, did not work for me.

I'm using a Wacom tablet (all drivers, windows updates, etc. up to date) and ran into this issue. What finally worked for me is disabling Windows Ink (which has been a source of a lot of Photoshop bugs since 2018). It requires a couple steps but if you google "UseSystemStylus 0" you'll see how to do it. Or this youtube vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nL10xGIA_s

(Edit: or see below)

If any Photoshop devs are reading this, if you want to reproduce the issue:

1. Use a tablet that uses Windows Ink

2. Make a new document

3. Zoom in (so that you can flick pan)

4. Activate the hand tool (H)

5. Rapidly swipe back and forth with the stylus (making it rapidly flick-pan left and right). It will almost always freeze after about 5 or so flicks. 

For me it does NOT freeze when flick panning with a mouse, only with a stylus.

Edit: It's actually only a few steps for disabling Windows Ink so here they are:

1. Open notepad

2. Write a single line that says: UseSystemStylus 0

3. Save the file as: C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings\PSUserConfig.txt

4. Disable Windows Ink in your tablet settings. For Wacom it's under "Mapping" or "Calibrate".

5. Close and re-open photoshop and it should (hopefully!) work now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also happening to me on a Windows 10 machine. Scrolling a zoomed image with either keyboard (space bar) and mouse or a pen and Tablet. I am abe to save the file and reopen, but this is now happening more frequently and is becomming very disruptive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list of people experiencing this! Still no fix??

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have this problem, the cursor is super slow, can't work with this.

Is adobe doing anything about this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also been experiencing this issue as well, my only solution was to roll back the photoshop to before the 21.1 update and I haven't had issues since. Adobe really needs to fix this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLUTION!! 

PixImperfect the photoshop god uploaded a video today on how to fix this, its just a simple click of the button!

Please make sure to give him some love for his help. This fixed the issue for me, thank goodness he figured it out because clearly, Adobe wasn't giving us answers. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNQMsF9hgdM&ab_channel=PiXimperfect 

EDIT: JUST KIDDING, STILL FREEZING, JUMPED THE GUN BECAUSE I WAS EXCITED ugh

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here on Windows 10 64bit, AMD ryzen 3900x, RTX2060

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also add me to the list, this has been very annoying. Always gotta save my work, close the document and reopen to fix it.

Happened to me yesterday 5 times in the matter of an hour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, reported this many many times but still no fix. Just simple scrolling and panning with spacebar and wacom pen causes freeze on working window. 
ADOBE SUPPORT !! WHERE ARE YOU ??
tired of being used as a beta tester while paying for this

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Windows10Home64-bit/IntelCorei7-4810MQ CPU@2.80GHz/16GBRAM/NvidiaGeForceGTX880M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening to me as well, would really like a fix to this. A lot of times I'll save, reopen the document and it immediately freezes again as I'm zooming back in on the spot I was working on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This started happening to me yesterday, and happened twice today. Suddenly I can no longer scroll around - either using the hand tool or the scroll bars. Luckily can still save. Need to exit PS and restart to give temporary fix. I am running Win10 64 bit, AMD Ryzen processor. 

Really hoping for a fast fix as very disruptive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate