• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Photoshop Elements 22 doesn't work correctly with Mac OS Monterey (new OS released 2 days ago)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Adobe Photoshop Elements 22 doesn't work correctly with Mac OS Monterey (new OS released 2 days ago).

Other members in the same case ?

Thank you for your answers. Jean.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Just to update people on here, in conjuction with 12.1 Update from Apple on my Mac, there was an update from Adobe too.  My PSE 2022 now appears to be working fine on my Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Hello,

There is an update available for Elements 2022, which fixes the hang on launch issue.

To Update Elements, Request you to please Launch and Close Elements Organizer and leave your system idle, depending on your interent connection speed - the update will be applied automatically and should fix the launch issue for PSE.

In case if the automatic update fails, Please install the update for E2022 manually from Elements Organizer.

Please refer to release notes for more details around E2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 350 Replies 350
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently trying Affinity Design. Same tools, different interface. It's a challenge.
Peter Malone

[Personal information deleted by Moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't expect a fix from Apple. It's pretty clearly Adobe's bug to deal with. OS 12.1 appears to have blocked whatever PSE was doing to corrupt the copy of the OS in memory. Adobe's competitors are delivering the same funcdtions without a problem. I suspect if you were to insist on a candid response from Apple it would be, buy a fully functional competitive producdt and be happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When it works, PSE 2022 looks, feels, and acts like earlier (even much earlier) versions of PSE. The only reason for updating is that ealier version will not work at all with Monterey. Even if Adobe releases a patch for PSE 2022 (and maybe PSE 2021), it's an intel only product that runs in emulation mode on any Mac with an M1 processor. That means that once Apple releases an OS for M1 that no longer supports Intel (may be several years down the road--it'll happen, but Apple hasn't said when) a further PSE purchase will be required.

I plan to stick with Acorn, or maybe Infinity, both of which run native M1 code as well as Intel, at least until PSE is compiled in universal code and mybe not then. I get more used ot Acorn's foibles every day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not here to cast negative aspersions on other photo editing software, but for those of you that think the grass is greener elsewhere, I suggest you do a little research. It took me about 2 seconds to find the following post on another software's user forum:

If you take the time to look, you will find that DxO is not the only software to be experiencing problems with Monterey. A quick search found that both Adobe and Affinity products also have problems - I didn’t look any further but I think you will find it is very difficult for any software house to get it right when the underlying OS is still effectively in beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working for a long time with Affinity Photo 1.10.4 under Monterey on my Macbook Pro from 2016 - so far without any problems - including the plugins from DxO Nik Filter Colletion and Topaz Sharpener / Denoise. I made my MacBook completely Adobe free today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am trying Affinity Design on my new M1 Max MacBook Pro,  no issues so far, seems to meet all my needs,  I may permanently switch.  I could never get Photoshop Elements to launch, just the spinning ball….

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an fyi: I've been using Pixelmator Pro 2.3.3 on my iMac M1 running OS 12 since it came out (currently 12.1) with nary a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I definitely understand the frustration over Photoshop Elements requiring a computer restart after each time you close it. I had just bought PE 2021 a month before the upgrade to Monterey. I remain hopeful that eventually Adobe will get their act together and issue a fix. In the meantime, I find that restarting my new imac 27 seems to cause PE to work great each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... but unfortunately only as long as you do not have an update to the current version 12.1. from Monterey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been another update on Monterey since  October? I haven't seen anything on my imac suggesting I should update again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated my IMac and MacBook Pro on Tuesday morning to a newer version of Monterey made the situation worse unfortunately 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... if you really need Photoshop Elments then I wouldn't update to Monterey 12.1. Elements does not start at all after the update. It doesn't work anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the bad news. However, it appears that Apple has blocked apps from corrupting the copy of the OS in working memory by doing whatever PSE does. That corruption may or may not be an issue on an Intel Mac, but on an M1 Mac it damages the copy of Rosetta 2 in memory that Intel apps require. Sooner or later (usually sooner) an Intel app then triggers a spontaneous system restart. That we cannot live with.

I had a conversation with Apple's tech support about the problem, and that person agreed that a single app should not be able to crash the OS. I'm happy to see that Apple's systems programmers also reached that conclusion and repaired the flaw in OS 12.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences under the Apple menu and selecdt Software update. It should tell you that version 12.1 is available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up about  not updating to Monterey 12.1. My imac still has 12.01. I went into Preferences and turned off the automatic update so it won't update to 12.1. From what I saw on the display, it was ready to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's nice to write that Adobe is actively working with Apple to solve this issue.

You are in pure communication, followed by no effect.

Meanwhile this problem has been known since late October and there is no solution in sight...
When will this problem be solved ?
(iMac 2019 - Monterey 12.1 with Intel processor and PSE 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand how they continue to sell the Mac version. They could at least prompt the buyer for the version of the operating system on their computers before allowing the download to start. You know, they could put an advisory saying Photoshop Elements is in the process of resolving compatibility issues with certain versions of Mac OS. They could have you provide an email address for notification when the issue is solved. In the meantime, they've got your money and you have to jump through hoops, needlessly, to get a refund.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's nice to write that Adobe is actively working with Apple to solve this issue.

You are in pure communication, followed by no effect.

Meanwhile this problem has been known since late October and there is no solution in sight...
When will this problem be solved ?
(iMac 2019 - Monterey 12.1 with Intel processor and PSE 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless they were deaf, dumb, and blind Adobe knew there was a problem long before October.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has never said, ever, that PSE 2022 is compatible with Moneterey, yet, people still bought it without reading the OS requirements- which to me is mind boggling...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you purchase PSE 2022 through the App Store it claims that it works on Monterey 12.1. I have no idea if that is correct because I have found that PSE 2018 and the latest version of Affinity will not run plugins with th App Store version.

It seems that the only solution is to run an older Mac with Big Sur (or older) for 3rd party programs and a brand new Mac for Apple programs! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've contacted Adobe customer care regarding an issue in which I had purchased PSE 2020 from Adobe, a download version. Several months later I purchased PSE2021 from a third party vendor. When all the mishaps with MacOS 12.1 Monterey surfaced, I had tried restore from backups several times and even reset my MacBook to factory settings and tried re-installing each previous version. And when I tried to go back to reinstall PSE 2021 and was prompted for the registration number and entered it, it came back that the registration number was revoked. I provided this information to Adobe customer care with copies of receipts and the third party vender had sold PSE2021 to several other customers, using the same product registration number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much did you pay?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Product Quantity Price
Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021 - Full license - MAC [Digital Download] 1 $59.99
Subtotal: $59.99
Shipping: Free shipping
Payment method: PayPal
Total: $59.99

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines