• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe PhotoShop Elements Organizer - Is there a way to copy IPTC dat between fields?

Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to move my photo collection from another organizer into Adobe Elements Organizer 2022.  In my old organizer, it saved the captions to the Document Title IPTC field.  It appears that Elements uses the Description IPTC field.  Is there any easy way to copy the data from one field to another?

I have some PowerShell experience if there is a way to do it programatically.

Thanks for any input anyone can provide.

TOPICS
How to , Organizer , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to move my photo collection from another organizer into Adobe Elements Organizer 2022.  In my old organizer, it saved the captions to the Document Title IPTC field.  It appears that Elements uses the Description IPTC field.  Is there any easy way to copy the data from one field to another?

I have some PowerShell experience if there is a way to do it programatically.

Thanks for any input anyone can provide.

By @yoodlethenoodle

There is no way in the organizer to manage exif and IPTC data like in Exiftool or similar management softwares which allow batch copying some fields to other ones.

You can 'write metadata to files', which writes the data in the catalog into the metadata section of your photo file (or in the sidecar xmp file of your raws).

You can batch apply some constant fields in the IPTC (author etc.) from templates you save for that use. That's about all.

I suggest you look for good (possibly free) exif and IPTC management tools for your own requirements. By the way, I suppose that other readers here might be interested with the reason of your choice of fields for the captions.

You can use the free Adobe Creative Cloud desktop software together with Adobe Bridge which is also free. I don't use Bridge very much myself, but my understanding is that it has the right tools for IPTC management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I didn't actually choose the fields for the captions.  I previously used software called Fototime, which, unforunately is now out of business and no longer supported.  I captioned some 10,000+ photos with it, so I don't want to have to go through and do it again.  It appears that it was saving the captions to the "Document Title" IPTC field, so when I look at the picture in Elements, I don't see the caption, since it is looking for it in "Description".

I did check out the free EXIFTool, and it does appear that I should be able to program it to do what I want it to do.  It is not the most intuitive interface though, so it's going to take a bit of trial and error.  I also looked in Bridge, but I didn't see anything for copying from one IPTC field to another.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  I'll let you know how it goes, and if I come up with some scripting to do it, I'll post it here in case anyone else has the same question in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines