• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Windows 10 creators update, text layers need to be updated, update fails

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the latest Windows 10 update (the creators update) I am unable to open a multi-layer photoshop file that includes text layers.

I receive the message "Some text layers may need to be updated before they can be used for vector based output..."

When I click "update", I receive the message "Selected font failed during last operation."

I was able to successfully open this file several weeks ago, prior to the Windows update.  It still opens fine on a different PC, one that has not had the creators update applied yet.

Resetting the Text tool did not fix the problem.

I am running Phtotshop Elements 14.1 on a 32-bit version of Windows 10:

[When a Staff person asks for private information hover your mouse over their name]

[you may then click the Message option in the popup window to send a private email]

[long crash log removed... please only send a crash log to a technician, when asked]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once a newer version is released, Adobe does not go back and update old programs to work with newer operating systems

Two ideas that MAY work to install and/or run old programs in Windows 10

-RIGHT click the program icon or EXE and select a compatibility mode in the pop up option window

-or Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 to assign FULL Windows permissions may help... says Encore, but sometimes required for ALL Adobe programs (this is NOT the same as using an Administrator account)

If the above ideas don't work, your only recourse is a new program that works with Win10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstalling has worked for some users.

I would suggest as follows:

-Uninstall

-Reboot (re-start your computer)

-Use the latest download from link below for PSE14

-Validate with your serial number

Download Photoshop Elements | 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2017 Aug 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstalling PSE did not solve the problem.

I have since learned that this is a known bug in the creators update, by both Microsoft and Adobe.  Adobe has a recommended work-around.  I have provided it below:

Update on the Windows 10 Creators Update Linked Font Bug

As I previously posted, on behalf of Adobe and its customers, I officially submitted a bug report to Microsoft with regards to this serious problem.

Working closely with one of their Senior Escalation Engineers in their Windows Support organization, Microsoft was readily able to reproduce the problem exactly as I represented it to them.

Good News – Microsoft now acknowledges that this is a bug and that it will be fixed. Apparently the bug was introduced as part of major changes associated with improved security in the boot process.

Bad News – The permanent fix for the bug will appear in the Windows 10 Creators Fall Update, the exact release date TBD. This fix isn't something that is readily exportable as a patch in one of the upcoming monthly updates.

Good News – There is a very reliable workaround, based on a single registry entry, which forces rebuild of the font cache at bootup. The side effect is slightly increased boot time, but if you have a reasonably robust hardware configuration (SSDs, fast processor, a good amount of memory, etc.), this increased boot time should not be that noticeable. (My systems are particularly well-endowed in terms of such resources and also have close to 2000 typefaces installed. I see no noticeable difference in boot times!)

Unfortunately, this forum doesn't provide for attachments and thus, I cannot provide the .reg files directly for you, but if you copy and paste into files, the following should work like a charm:

Use this file
Temp_Fix_Windows_10_Creators_Update_LinkedFont_Bug.reg to install the temporary fix:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\GRE_Initialize]
"DisableFontBootCache"=dword:00000001

Obviously, you will need to reboot your system after having applied this registry change.

Use this file Undo_Temp_Fix_Windows_10_Creators_Update_LinkedFont_Bug.reg to remove the temporary fix (you'll need to use this prior to installing the Windows 10 Creators Fall Update😞

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\GRE_Initialize]
"DisableFontBootCache"=-

Microsoft offered a second workaround which I don't recommend - deleting the fontcache file as part of the logoff process. This effectively accomplishes the same thing with the same increased boot time, but quite frankly, if a system crashes or otherwise reboots without logoff, you can't count on this workaround since a logoff script won't be run.

I'll update this thread if and when I get further information from Microsoft confirming that the fix has been made, tested, and included in the Windows 10 Creators Fall Update (or if miraculously, an earlier fix is made available)!

- Dov Isaacs, Principal Scientist, Adobe Systems Incorporated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Please advice where to install the fixes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was able to fix this issue by copying the fonts from a Windows 7 system to Windows 10. It replaced all the existing fonts, but I no longer get this message. They must have changed the Font rendering with the latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines