Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

backup organizer albums

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have PSE 2022 on a Windows 10 Pro machine. When I installed PSE 2022 there were already problems with starting the Organizer from PSE 2018. I told the new install to update the catalogs. I have lost all my albums (both from the 2018 and 2022 versions.). I have made several changes to my photos since the last full backup. My plan is to install an earlier image of my system from when it was working correctly with all the albums and then export my albums. I then plan to reinstall my current system image and then pull the albums in. I have made several changes to my photos since the last full backup so I don't want to just export the old catalog and then restore it after returning my system to its current state. Is this possible? i.e. Export albums from an old image:  then import the albums into the current system.

Thanks for any help you provide.

TOPICS
Export, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Two misconceptions here.

1 - Backups only deal with catalogs and the catalogued photo files. Not to 'albums', formerly called 'collections' as they are now called in Lightroom. Albums are only 'playlists' of selected files. They are lists of pointers to the image files references in the database. They point to the 'top of stack' or 'top of version set' of selected images in the album list. You can include the same image in many different albums: they all point to the same image file. The result is that if you 'export' from albums, you only export the 'top' item and you may export the same photo files several times if they are referenced in different albums (creating exported duplicates).

2 - If you want to copy and re-import files in another catalog, you won't recover your albums, stacks, version sets; at best you'll recover tags and captions if you have 'written metadata' to files. The only way to recover everything in the catalog is to use the full backup and restore process. If you update a to newer PSE version, you only need to 'convert' the catalog to the newer version from the catalog manager. You don't lose your albums or anything, a new catalog is created without overwriting the older one.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines