• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch Processing lighting adjustment

Participant ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to batch process jpg's with adjustment for lighting only in Elements 2023

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Yes, it is possible using the Organizer's Instant Fix Editor or the Camera Raw editor. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Solved batch adjustments of jpg's using Camera RAW but how to save the edits in jpg? When I go to Save (top right in RAW programme) the only option seems to be dng. In order to save as jpg must I first open them in Elements? Can you then select all these images to save as jpg?

(I am using Elements 2023 (latest version) and Camera RAW 14.4)

SOLVED. I save images as dng's out of RAW, open in Process Multiple Files and save as jpg.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is possible using the Organizer's Instant Fix Editor or the Camera Raw editor. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Greg, I'll check these out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved batch adjustments of jpg's using Camera RAW but how to save the edits in jpg? When I go to Save (top right in RAW programme) the only option seems to be dng. In order to save as jpg must I first open them in Elements? Can you then select all these images to save as jpg?

(I am using Elements 2023 (latest version) and Camera RAW 14.4)

SOLVED. I save images as dng's out of RAW, open in Process Multiple Files and save as jpg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After some experimentation, I have established an image lightening (exposure) process that gives me a very accurate result. Might be useful to share ...

Firstly, I use an external IPS LED monitor off my laptop and set the brightness to 30% of maximum which I then use to adjust the image. From a trial printing run of 60 various images, using an external online printing organisation, the returned prints very closely matched this screen both in terms of colour and image brightness. It was important however to ensure that image enhancements by the printing company were turned off.

For adjustment:

Open Elements Camera RAW which also accepts jpg

Open images in this programme and view each side by side (original/adjusted)

Edit one image as a test ... I set exposure slider to +0.3 which was a good enhancement as an average across all images.

If OK, CtrlA to select all images and click on Exp which set all image exposures to +0.03. Check images

CtrlA again and save as dng (screen top right) in folder

When uploading to folder complete, ext RAW via Cancel ... don't save.

Then to convert dng to jpg do the following:

Select Process Multiple Files in Elements and process. 

Since my preference is for printed images with a long side of 13-13.5cm (10.2x13.5), before I process I separate vertical and horizontal images and process these batches separately with either the vertical or the horizontal set at 13. 

When processed images are sent online for printing, the sizes set by me are processed. Each online print firm will of course have their own set up.

This works for me and I have used it for print batches of 600+ images with varying exposure and light conditions. Obviously it is catering for 'the average' and individual adjustments can of course be made ... if one has the time (or inclination!) for large quantities of images to be used in albums and not in competitions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CtrlA again and save as dng (screen top right) in folder

When uploading to folder complete, ext RAW via Cancel ... don't save.

Then to convert dng to jpg do the following:

Select Process Multiple Files in Elements and process. 

By @RonSH

Hi @RonSH 

You don't need to save as DNG.

The normal behaviour of the ACR plugin is to use the 'Open' or the 'Done' button, which results in opening all the selected raw files in the normal pixel editor, where you can use all the available tools, including saving in any available photo format, printing etc. Clicking 'Done' does not open the files in the pixel editor but saves all the edits. Saving individually or in batch is only available from the pixel editor

When you click 'Open', or 'Done' the raw adjustments settings for each member of the batch are saved:

- for true raw files: in a small text file called a sidecar file (extension .xmp)

- for jpegs, psd etc, into the metadata header of each file.

The next time you open your original files, from the explorer/finder or from the organizer, the file opens directly in ACR with all the settings already applied. To batch save or print the already raw edited files, you can use the organizer or the "process multiple files" command.

Only the full ACR plugin of Photoshop has options to save directly from the ACR plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Michael for your input.

Perhaps I should have mentioned in my intro that I do not edit the original images. A copy is made onto a stick which is passed to the ‘boss’. What is not needed is deleted, retaining images that will be used for story book albums. Then the stick is returned to me for editing and uploading to our preferred print house.

Modern smartphones eg Pixel, are very capable … as you will know … giving good colour representation, excellent for viewing on backlit devices. But when printing hard copies they are usually somewhat dark and need this adjustment. The method I used was my way of making this adjustment in a large batch and then resizing for the print sizes wanted in album/s. Further, I did not want any file information retained once the adjusted jpg’s were finalized.

Where editing a special image from e.g. my camera, I would make further use of the many tools in Elements/RAW. But for these ‘quick and dirty’ edits I have found it to be very simple, fast and reliable. Unorthodox yes, but it works.

Apologies for the confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines