• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open catalogue in just updated PSE2023 - Windows 10

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing the updated version of PSE2023 (offered within the application), my most used catalog won't appear, won't open (was working fine, until the upgrade).     I did find the catalogue browsing in "custom location".  I tried to run the "convert" process, and it failed.  Please help!!  

TOPICS
Organizer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Idea#2:  I have created a PSE2023 backup of the problem catalog, on an entirely different external drive.  If I "restore" from this, some recent photos will be lost - perhaps a fair price to more easily end the problem.

Yes, try that solution

In that backup file, in addition to the photos, I see some types of "system" files, but NOT "catalog.pse21db".  I presume that is normal (??).

Yes, because a backup folder is not a simple copy. The saved catalog database is renamed 'catalog.buc' wh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A free update does not require a conversion. Once you have found the custom location of your catalog, have a look inside the catalog folder and double click the file

catalog.pse21db

to open the organizer with the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to the catalog location, found the file you referenced, only it is catalog.pse19db, not catalog.pse21db.  Nevertheless, I double clicked it, and a Windows system message popped up:  "This file does not have App associated with it for performing this action.  Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page.

I went to that page in my computer/Windows "settings", changed the default app for "photos" to PSE Organizer 2023, then went back and double clicked the file you indicated - with the same pop up Windows message.  Since this did not help, I've gone back to default apps settings, returned "Photos" it as it was, to the default Microsoft app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further, after the notes (below), I went again to Default Apps Settings, now seeing option to search actual file extensions; found .pse19db - with no associated app (below it, .pse21db HAD Photoshop Elements 2023 associated) - I cliked it, and pop up said "There is no installed app for this type of file or protocol" (gave the option to seach Microsoft, which gave NO results).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further, after the notes (below), I went again to Default Apps Settings, now seeing option to search actual file extensions; found .pse19db - with no associated app (below it, .pse21db HAD Photoshop Elements 2023 associated) - I cliked it, and pop up said "There is no installed app for this type of file or protocol" (gave the option to seach Microsoft, which gave NO results).

By @josephunit2n

Let's start with what happened when you received the warning of a new update for your current PSE2023 (which is version 21).

From your previous posts I see that you ran the update successfully (no error message) at least for the editor, but you lost the connection to your current catalog.

My post was to make clear that an update keeping the current version number (21) did not change the format of the catalog database and did not require a 'conversion'. You have found the location of your catalog folder, which contains the catalog.pse21db database file;  if the update was really successful you only have to tell the organizer to start with that catalog. Two ways to do that:

- as indicated, double clicking the catalog.pse21db file

- or starting the organizer while keeping the shift key pressed, and from the contextual menu, navigating to the found location.

The option to double click supposes that the association is right. It should be associated to the organizer, not the editor.

MichelBParis_0-1681973124115.png

That's what I have now after the recent PSE2023 update.

Side note: my catalog and photo files folders are on an external drive shared between two computers by plugging alterntively to each one. The catalog will be recognized even if only one of my PSE2023 is updated. No need to convert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your latest reply contains a misunderstanding.  In the problem catalog, ONLY catalog.pse19db is found (not catalog.pse21db).  In my Windows Default Apps Settings page, the extension .pse21db IS present, with PSE 2023 associated, I presume because other catalogs do open correctly, and THEY have the catalog.pse21db file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S - I ran the update on Organizer AND Photo Editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to me, the problem is the "catalog.pse19db" file, in the problem catalog.  If it must be updated to "catalog.pse21db", how may that be done?  I am puzzled how this catalog was functioning without problem, in PSE 2023, UNTIL the program update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to me, the problem is the "catalog.pse19db" file, in the problem catalog.  If it must be updated to "catalog.pse21db", how may that be done?  I am puzzled how this catalog was functioning without problem, in PSE 2023, UNTIL the program update.

By @josephunit2n

The catalog.pse19db database file is in its own catalog folder,  created with pse2021. The catalog.pse21db file should be in its own different folder. There are never two database versions in the same catalog folder. The organizer can't open if it has not found or created a catalog of the current version. If the organizer opens with an empty catalog, which is normal if you have not accepted the prompt to convert the previous catalog, you can find the catalog name and location from the menu Help > System info of the organizer.

You can rename a catalog or move the folder anywhere else, which means renaming the catalog folder, but the database file will always be named after the version number. So scanning your computer for catalog.pse21db files will find all instances of a catalog created by PSE2023 (version21).

If the organizer opens with an empty catalog, you can use the button to 'convert' the old version 19 catalog to the pse2023 (version 21) format. As a result, a new catalog folder will be created with the same catalog name, and the old version 19 catalog will be kept and renamed with a -1 suffix. It will work with pse2018 as before and can be converted again if necessary.

I hope this will help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm now confused.  If possible, please list steps for me to take. 

*I did a system search for "catalog.pse21db" in Documents - none found (although I see this in at least one other of my catalogs, on an active, connected external drive).

* I just opened another catalogue without problem, listed under "catalogs available to all users", then, I navigated to the catalogue file, and inside found only the older "catalog.pse19db" !!

* I don't understand your reference to "Help -- System info":  there, I only see info. about the currently open catalogue (which, obviously, is not the problem catalogue).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2023 Apr 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*I did a system search for "catalog.pse21db" in Documents -

By @josephunit2n

There is no reason to search in Documents. By default Adobe stores the catalogs under the master folder:

C:\ProgramData > Adobe > Elements Organizer > Catalogs

When searching for catalogs (that means catalog folders), users generally do an Explorer search including all their drives. If they know what PSE version they are after, they search for the database file catalog.pseXXdb, XX being the PSE version. For instance, you'll find all the catalogs for PSE2023 searching from "catalog.pse21db". You may find several instances of those catalog folders. Looking for dates and size of those catalogs, you may get an idea of which is what you want.

* I don't understand your reference to "Help -- System info":  there, I only see info. about the currently open catalogue (which, obviously, is not the problem catalogue).

By @josephunit2n

The reference is simply to remind users of how to search for the location of the currently opened catalog on your drive. The command to "manage" catalogs has only options to search for catalogs to convert, which often implies checking different options to widen the search scope. With catalogs on custom location, you'll probably need to do an Explorer search anyway.             

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!  Explorer search found a list of "catalog.pse21db" catalogs.  None match even approximately the size of the subject catalog (I even opened a couple of those closest in size).  Also, yes, in the path on the C drive you gave, I found multiple catalogues, not the one in question.  This has stopped me.  I must get back to photography work.  I have a couple of ideas, would highly value your opinions before I attempt any.

** This actual catalog has no particular value to me, only its contents.

Idea #1:  Could I "copy" all the .NEF (and, .XMP ??) files in the catalog, create an entirely new catalog, "paste" these into a formatted/clean external flash drive (which Organizer has always recognized in "Add Photos from Camera or Card Reader"), THEN add all these to the new catalog, using the (external drive) storage location I normally use?  

** IF this would work, I don't want multiple copies of the same photo files on the same external drive.  Is there a means within PSE to "delete" a catalogue?  If not, should it be safe for me (once the new catalog/new name is successfully created) to manually go to this external drive storage location and "delete" the catalog that had been causing these problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Idea#2:  I have created a PSE2023 backup of the problem catalog, on an entirely different external drive.  If I "restore" from this, some recent photos will be lost - perhaps a fair price to more easily end the problem.  In that backup file, in addition to the photos, I see some types of "system" files, but NOT "catalog.pse21db".  I presume that is normal (??).  If I use the "restore" function, I do not want to run this catalogue from the backup location.  How would I move it to the external drive I do use for all active PSE catalogues?  I've used "copy/move to external drive" to move individual photos - would I use it to move an entire catalog?  Or, should I manually "copy/paste" the entire catalog to the new, desired external drive - disconnect the external drive/backup drive, from which it had been "restored" - then in Organizer search the drive where I "pasted" it (from there, will it open?  need I first "convert" it?).

** I guess, if this method is used, I could then go the the failed original catalog (before I permanently delete it) and "copy" all missing photos, add them back to the new, restored catalog.

**Another concern: If I "restore" to the same external drive holding the original, problem catalogue, what will happen?  Will I be asked if ok to overwrite the original?  Before the "restore", should I modify the name of the original problem catalog (then, I could later extract any missing photo files, then finally delete this catalog)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My last thought might have beeen mistaken.  I believe "restore" does not allow designation of a new location, only restores the catalog IN the backup location.  If so, I would then have to move it to the external drive I use for active catalogs - and my question about how to move the catalogue, remains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Idea#2:  I have created a PSE2023 backup of the problem catalog, on an entirely different external drive.  If I "restore" from this, some recent photos will be lost - perhaps a fair price to more easily end the problem.

Yes, try that solution

In that backup file, in addition to the photos, I see some types of "system" files, but NOT "catalog.pse21db".  I presume that is normal (??).

Yes, because a backup folder is not a simple copy. The saved catalog database is renamed 'catalog.buc' whatever the version of PSE.

If I use the "restore" function, I do not want to run this catalogue from the backup location.  How would I move it to the external drive I do use for all active PSE catalogues?  I've used "copy/move to external drive" to move individual photos - would I use it to move an entire catalog?  Or, should I manually "copy/paste" the entire catalog to the new, desired external drive - disconnect the external drive/backup drive, from which it had been "restored" - then in Organizer search the drive where I "pasted" it (from there, will it open?  need I first "convert" it?).

** I guess, if this method is used, I could then go the the failed original catalog (before I permanently delete it) and "copy" all missing photos, add them back to the new, restored catalog.

**Another concern: If I "restore" to the same external drive holding the original, problem catalogue, what will happen?  Will I be asked if ok to overwrite the original?  Before the "restore", should I modify the name of the original problem catalog (then, I could later extract any missing photo files, then finally delete this catalog)?

By @josephunit2n

The backup folder is not a catalog folder copy. Imagine it's like a "zipped" version storing both the image files and the catalog. It can ONLY be used to restore (unzip) both the photo files and the catalog. to the new location you decide. It is usually on the internal or external drive you have chosen. It's not impossible, but a bad idea, to restore on the same external drive as the backup folder on a new master folder outside of the backup folder.

If you decide to restore on the original location, you'll get prompts and warnings to ask you what you want to do, overwrite or skip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I send you my sincere thanks for all your time, attention to this issue.  Without your help, guidance, invaluable information, I would not have reached any success.

In fact, I moved on my own thoughts, before your last reply was posted.  Working many hours, all night, now a bit groggy, I'll try to recap.

**I again searched for "catalog.pse21db" and found a modest list of these.

**Opening each one, I found all catalogs.

**In the Organizer, I moved those in "custom location" to "everyone's access"

**I ran "repair" on each (no repair seemed to be needed)

**I ran fresh backups of each catalog, to the usual external drive I use for backups, overwriting the existing backup file for each (new backup file for the "missing" catalog);  I did this even for older, "static" catalogs, where no changes have been made in a long time - just to have an up-to-date, fresh backup.

**In the end, all is fine EXCEPT - the original "problem" catalog is back, active, only when I attempted to run a backup, around 20 photos had no source.  I did extensive searching, all drives and even my "trash/deletions" before final deletion, could not find the source .NEF files.  In the end, I had to delete this group from the catalog, to run a successful backup.

Before all this, I did try to "restore" the problem catalog from its backup.  This failed, not all photo files were available, which raises a question (you started to address this in your last reply):  In a "backup" file, are the actual photo files stored (I think not) - or - is this just a list of links to the photo files' locations?  If the latter, any change, moving, of source files would corrupt/defeat restoration from that backup.

Final question:  after all this was done, I again ran a search for "catalog.pse21db"  and now find a much longer list.  I opened/viewed each, to find multiple such files for a single catalog.  All seems to be working fine - is this of any concern?  Any further action needed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

P.S.   I just looked in "C:\ProgramData > Adobe > Elements Organizer > Catalogs" and only ONE instance of each catalog is present, each with the correct "catalog.pse21db".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines