• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot backup or restore Organizer 2023 on Mac M2

Participant ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last week I bought a new Mac mini with the latest M2 chip, Photoshop elements 2023, and a new Sandisk SSD drive.  I did a full backup of my old Mac running Organizer 2021, to the new SSD drive.   First I tried restoring this Org2021 backup to the new computer running Org2023, but the restore crashes.  I then installed Org2021 on the new machine and the restore was successful to Org2021.  I then opened Org2023 and was able to convert the catalog ok.  So all the images and meta are now fine on the new Org2023,  and I am able to backup the Catalog Structure ok,  but a Full Backup crashes.  I have forwarded the crash report to Adobe but no response yet.  Any ideas appreciated!

crash.png

TOPICS
Bug , Crash or freeze , Import and export , Mac , Organizer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

What finally worked was I simply copied the Org21 catalog and the files to my new Mac mini, *not* using the backup or restore routine.  I then opened Org23 on my new machine and pointed to the Org21 catalog, converted the catalog, and all seems to be working correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monte307,

Same thing is happening to me. I have full backup of Organizer 2021, from intel macbook pro running Catalina. Just bought new Macbook Pro 16 M2 Pro running Organizer 2023, tried doing catalog restore, crashes at 62%. My catalog is large 700 GB, but had no problem before. I made sure catalog backup had only pictures, no video, no songs, but still does not restore. Did you every get anything to work. Need Adobe to fix this ASAP, so I can move to my new computer. Thanks for responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all kinds of things, like you only pictures, no video, no songs, no special characters in the file names.  Nothing worked, so I finally reingested into a new catalog and am now retagging everything from scratch.   All my restores succeed restoring to Org21, but fail with Org23. 

Even with a clean install ingesting pics from scratch (no restore from a prior version) my Org23 backups crash at around 99%.  I tested a restore from one of these crashed backups and it seemed to work ok.     Based on all these crashes and hours of wasted time I consider Organizer 2023 on Mac M2 a beta version at this point, not ready for prime time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monte,

Thank you for responding so quickly. I don't want to do that from scratch again. I guess I will move everything to my new Mac except my pictures and hope/pray that Adobe gets this fixed soon. Did they respond to you about it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent the crash reports to Adobe, describing what I was doing at the time and providing an email address.  Haven't heard from them yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you try contacting Elements support. You can start a chat session by clicking on the blue Contact Us button under the Help & Support menu at Adobe.com. Or you can contact Support by telephone using the numbers listed here: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html. Hours of operation for Support outside of the United States are limited. See the phone link for details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll give it  a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What finally worked was I simply copied the Org21 catalog and the files to my new Mac mini, *not* using the backup or restore routine.  I then opened Org23 on my new machine and pointed to the Org21 catalog, converted the catalog, and all seems to be working correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2023 May 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monte,

Glad to hear you got it working. Unfortunately for me I can not get it to work. I know this is alot to ask. Can you list your steps what you did. I made a catalog backup from my other computer to harddrive, I then copied that folder over to the new computer (747 GB),  I then launched Org23 on the new computer and selected manage catalogs, I tried to convert the catalog but nothing showed up to select. I know I'm not doing something right, could you please advise me? Thank, you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 13, 2023 May 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't do a Backup / Restore catalog, instead I simply copied the catalog directories, and the image files over to the exact same file structure locations on the new M2 machine as where they were on the old machine.  I then opened Org23, then File - Manage Catalogs, selected the 'Custom Location' button, and hit the Browse button to navigate to the old Org21 catalog I had copied over to the new machine.  It prompted me to convert if I remember right, then opened up and all was copacetic.  Both my old and new machines use the same username, which may be required for a straight file copy to work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monte,

Thanks for the help. I did as you said and copied everything over, I too could keep the same file structure. I went to manage catalog and converted. So, now I have all my pictures on the new computer, seems fine. However, I tried to do a regular backup of the catalog like always, and it will not do a backup. I think this version of Org23 is buggy as heck, it can't do restore, and now can't do backup. How about you? Can you do a backup with Org23 on your new MacBook Pro M2? Thank you for all the advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too get backup failures.  Sometimes they work ok, more often they crash.  I quit using the backup/restore utilities altogether, instead I just do a stright filesystem copy of the images and catalog.  I agree with you Org23 is buggy as heck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Monte,

I had not tried to do a backup or even add photos to my catalog all this time, until last weekend. I was able to do two backups without incident. Did you get it to eventually backup? One thing, I thought I had all none photos off, but I found one video that was on it, it had originally been taken by an Android phone. I deleted this, and then tried the backup and it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines