• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canvas extension color from Checkered to white?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to change the canvas extension to white from checkered.

I have learned how to add a border around a photo by adjusting canvas size. 

In that dialogue box, the "canvas extension color" down arrow is not clickable.

The color box at the very bottom left currently shows two overlapping white boxes.  Changing either of these two colors has no effect on the border.

I am working in RBG mode.

Thanks for your help.  Trying to send this photo to the printer....

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Go to Image>resize>canvas size. 

In this dialog you can define the extension of the width & height. Note the dropdown to access the scale, e.g. inches, percent, etc.

If you wish to extend just one border, use the Anchor button

At the bottom you can select the color to suit.

If this is not what you are after, let us know,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Image>resize>canvas size. 

In this dialog you can define the extension of the width & height. Note the dropdown to access the scale, e.g. inches, percent, etc.

If you wish to extend just one border, use the Anchor button

At the bottom you can select the color to suit.

If this is not what you are after, let us know,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thanks for this response.

That's exactly what I'm after, but if you notice, in my original note, I said that the "Canvas extension Color" is not clickable.  It shows "background" and nothing happens if I click the little down arrow to the right.  

Does the fact that my image is png. format make any difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the Canvas Extension Color to be active your image needs to have a Background Layer.

You can go to Layer>Flatten Image or make a Background from the selected layer by going to Layer>New>Background from Layer.

canv.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeff!  After I figured out how to make a background from a layer, it worked like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe this only works with jpg files. I have a png file, and whenver I increase its canvas the only extension color is checkered and there is no way for me to make it my preferred white background. But, if I save the png to a jpg, then I'm able to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JPG's can't work with transparent layers.   It's all based upon your original canvas you set up. 

Let's say you got the transparent backgroun when you expaanded your canvas- just add a layer and flood fill it with white.

Lets say you work with a jpg on a canvas- and you exapnd the canvas: it's gonna be white:  JPGs cant have a transparent background- so it's white.

2024-01-17_110655.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This link explains the jpg  png stuff in very simple terms.

https://www.glenncuneo.com/jpg-vs-png.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Glenn, I appreciate the response. I took screenshots of my Facebook stories and each was automatically saved to my iPhone as a .png. In Photoshop, I want to expand their canvas size, but when I do the default background is checkered whereas I'd like it to be white. The default for .jpg is white but I'm unable to change this when the image is a .png. I've searched tutorials and played around with settings and can't figure it out. Any help would be much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2024-01-17_155531.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Usually I just add 1 layer and make it white using the paint bucket tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines