• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting catalog on new computer - photos in Microsoft365 cloud

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am about to purchase a new Win10 computer to replace a 6 year old machine with PSE12 on it.  I'd like to upgrade to PSE2021 on the new machine.  All of my photos are in structured folders in the OneDrive app, and mirrored in the Microsoft365 cloud.  From prior posts, I understand that I will need to Backup the catalog and then convert it in the new version of PSE. Questions:

Is it possible for the backup to be located in the M365 cloud (which the new machine will be able to see)? 

What about all of the photo files?  If the new machine's OneDrive system brings all the files in the cloud down to the local machine, will the Catalog, when converted, be able to find and recognize those photos?

Thanks,

Chris

TOPICS
Download and install , How to , Organizer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't help you with your actual question. But i do want to post a warning for you regarding onedrive and ms photo's. 

i don't know the sort of photo's you have in your catalog but if they are regular and (for you) normal photo's beware that the microsoft algorythms check it all . If they find anything that could possibly against rules they will block your account and you will not get back conttol. 

if you have kids and made pictures of they as babies in bath for instance, this could get your account blocked.

So believe it or not, but be very VERY sure that you have a backup of all your photo's on another place than the microsoft cloud (or any cloud) service

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am about to purchase a new Win10 computer to replace a 6 year old machine with PSE12 on it.  I'd like to upgrade to PSE2021 on the new machine.  All of my photos are in structured folders in the OneDrive app, and mirrored in the Microsoft365 cloud.  From prior posts, I understand that I will need to Backup the catalog and then convert it in the new version of PSE. Questions:

Chris

By @Southern Gardener

Yes, Chris.

That means you backup at the same time both the catalog folder containing the database and all your photo files under a common 'backup folder' generally created on an external USB drive. From that backup folder, the 'restore' function of the organizer can re-create everything on a different computer, drive, partition or even a new master folder.

Is it possible for the backup to be located in the M365 cloud (which the new machine will be able to see)? 

Chris

By @Southern Gardener

That would mean doubling the space of your current photo library within OneDrive. Theoretically possible, but it makes more sense to create the backup on an external drive for more safety, flexibility and process time.

You may think about storing your current catalog folder (the database) in the OneDrive system folder. It's a good idea and it's even necessary if you have to restore in the same drive after losing its contents. Unfortunately, the main idea with using a catalog is that you can copy or move the catalog where you want (including the OneDrive folder), and its contents are not changed. So, if you use the catalog on a different drive with an exact copy of the file tree, the catalog points to the files on the original drive and not on the new drive with the photo copies. The catalog shows all files as 'missing' or 'disconnected'.

Storing a copy of the catalog folder does not take much space, so I recommend doing it regularly in your case. You find the location of your catalog from the menu Help >> system information of the organizer. I would not store the actual folder, only a copy to avoid performance issues of syncing while you are continually altering your catalog.

Your specific problem is at the same to migrate to a new computer and to upgrade your catalog (the database) to a new version. I can't see a really easy and satisfying solution, so my suggestion would be:

- to install the latest PSE version on the old computer.

- to use the the 'convert' option of the catalog manager or that version to create a new catalog.

- to create the backup folder on an external drive. This allows you to restore everything into a new computer, including in the OneDrive dedicated folder. In that case, the catalog folder itself would be restored under the OneDrive system folder. I would use the catalog manager to move it back to its default location outside of the OneDrive system folder to avoid the syncing issues I mentioned above. I would only keep a copy of that folder as a safety.

Keep in mind that the catalog points to the files on your computer, not to the files in the Cloud. It's the job of OneDrive to make the 'sync' between both.

What about all of the photo files?  If the new machine's OneDrive system brings all the files in the cloud down to the local machine, will the Catalog, when converted, be able to find and recognize those photos?

Thanks,

Chris

By @Southern Gardener

No. The catalog will point to the old location of the files on your old computer. All your files in the catalog would be disconnected, and reconnecting manually may require a week or more...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines