• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

drag and drop in photoshop 2021 and 2022 doesn't work

Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've upgraded to photoshop elements 2022.  In neither 21 nor 22 is it possible to drag and drop images on the elements icon.  This has always been an asset with the elements programs.  What you get now is red circle with a line through it.  I've seen elsewhere that this might be linked to the upgrade from windows 10 to windows 11 but actually nothing official that I could find that identifies this as the problem.  In any event, windows 11 was released in October 2021 and if that were the problem, I would assume a bug fix would have been released as well.  Are there workarounds?  Any suggestions?  I should also note that installing both elements and premiere 2022 was about a three day deal with multiple trips to adobe support.  Not sure if that's part of the problem here as well.

TOPICS
Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what yo uare talking about is with organizer.   HAve you moved the image locations for win 10 to win11?   The red no circle means organizer has lost tract of the image, and doesn't know where to look for it. 

The "3day ordeal"?   That typically is  an end user issue-  that means it's something you have done.   An anti virus, having photoshop , or creative cloud assets open while trying to install pse, it can be any number of things- like having multiple partial installs with remnants of the software sitting around, causing trouble. 

I listen to what a user doesn't say:  their OS, what theve done to try and fix it, have they used any utilities like ccleaner to remove previous installations--- there is a lot you haven't mentioned. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's not an organizer issue.  I don't use the elements organizer.  Never have.  Images are stored in a standard windows folder and have been stored there since the memory of man runneth not.  Until very recently, I could drag and drop an image from the windows folder to the elements icon at the bottom of the display and it would pop up for editing purposes.  I changed nothing; elements simply quit allowing me to do this.  It's not the end of the world, I can futz with the display and set up the display half and half, and then I can drag the image--I just shouldn't have to do that.  I thought maybe this was fixed in elements 2022 but no dice.  

I probably shouldn't have mixed in the installation issues, which were resolved in the end by a very helpful Adobe technician (the second to address the problem).  The diagnosis was a corrupted Adobe program (Creative cloud?).  Again, I've routinely installed the new versions of elements without issue, and have routinely installed other programs, without issue.  It's entirely possible I did something to contribute to this problem.  It's also entirely possible that I didn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's not an organizer issue, but it's not an Elements issue either.

It is a Windows OS issue.

Since drag and drop still works on my Windows 10, I suspect it's one of the small changes coming with Win 11.

However, that can't be considered as a 'bug', since Adobe does not promote this way of opening files. And for good reasons in my opinion. You have to use the menus and shortcuts/icons provided by Adobe to perform exactly what is programmed.

Even if you find it nice to use the 'drag and drop' of an image file over an editing software icon, there may be traps in the process, particularly because the drag and drop metaphor skips opening options which may be useful (open in acr, for instance).

I also suspect that with all OS providers being more and more strict about safety, there may be serious risks of malwares when using non orthodox ways to open files. So perhaps a new choice from Microsoft ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is helpful, thanks.  I viewed it as a bug but I see the argument running the other way; similarly, two factor authentication takes longer, but it's not a "bug."  Ditto here, I guess.   (Although, as an aside, as I'm typing this, I'm noticing the box below in which Adobe says "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach"!).  Maybe Adobe will allow it, maybe not; in any event, I've found elements immensely useful even with this extra step.  Again, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines