• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements 2023 cannot retrieve RAW (CR3) files from my Canon R6

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, just had Elements 2023 installed on my Windows 10 PC. Just like Elements 2021, it tells me that

the RAW CR3 files are not in a format recognized by Elements.  Jpeg files can be retrieved without any problem.  Adobe support centre has looked at this a couple of times, and have yet to find a solution. Any ideas out there?

TOPICS
Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

That would explain your trouble since the EOS R6 Mark II needs at least camera raw 15, which you can get and install by following the directions on this page:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/camera-raw-update-not-available.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By default photoshop elements 2023 doesn't ship with the camera raw plugin, so in the photoshop elements 2023 editor you need to go to Help>Install Camera Raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that already. Didn't work. Just downloaded and installed Adobe Camera
Raw 12.4. And finished installing through help. Still not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checked what the ACR plugin version is under help. I'm actually at 14.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get a solution? I am having the same issue with my R6 Mk2 as well 😞 

Elements 2023 as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have an EOS R6 or  EOS R6 Mark II?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EOS Mark 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would explain your trouble since the EOS R6 Mark II needs at least camera raw 15, which you can get and install by following the directions on this page:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/camera-raw-update-not-available.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2023 Jan 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a STAR! Thank you. Too bad Adobe Support doesn't seem to know
this yet.
I have tried the process described but I am foiled at the last step.
Computer tells me
the program can't be deleted/replaced because it is in use. Which is untrue
as far as I
can see. But I'll figure it out.

Thanks again!

Jerry Bruch

[Personal information removed by moderator.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have Elements 19.0.0.0 and I installed both of the raw installers (14.5 & 16.2) and neither works.  I still can't see an image on my CR3 files from my Canon Mark II.  Both installations ran flawlessly.  What am i missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WSC33,

What operating system are you using?

Which specific Canon Mark II do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jeff,

I have Windows 10, 32GB memory, tons of storage, Dell XPS computer.

My camera is a Canon EOS R6 Mark II Mirrorless Camera.

Thanks for your help.  I'm eager to move on with my new investment!

WSC33

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WSC33,

1. Install the 16.2 camera raw plugin if that's not the one presently installed

2. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC and copy the File Formats folder

3. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements 19 and move the File Formats folder

to your desktop.

4. Paste the File Formats folder you copied in step 2 in place of the one you moved to your desktop in step 3

Start photoshop elements 2021 (version 19.0) and hopfully you'll have a working camera raw 16.2

that will open your Canon EOS R6 Mark II files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 25, 2024 Feb 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great directions. The replacement folder even has the right date on it (when I downloaded it). Sadly, it failed. PSE still did not recognize the CR3 format. The camera raw.8bi has a 8/2/22 date on it. I did run both the 14.5 and 16.2 patches, if that makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reran the 16.2 patch and repeated your steps.  The date of the 8bi file changed and PSE now recognizes the CR3.  thanks! 

But why did I need the copy step?  Why doesn't the patch work outright?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Please, one more. When I load the CR3 file into PSE, many of the editing options are greyed out. Why is that?  I've never seen that before. And when I try to save it to a JPG format, preview screen is non-standard. The note beside the options in the save box says “Preview and file size are only available for 8 bit images….” What does this mean? Is PSE not really compatible with the new format?  (See attachment)

Thanks for your help and patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WSCC3,

In the camera raw 16.2 window change the Depth at the bottom of the window to 8 Bits/Channel

8bit.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I see.  What do I lose in dropping the bit depth down to 8?  I'm assuming I have to upgrade my PSE to the current version to have it work with 16 bit?  And jpg's don't save as anything but 8 bit, right?  So if I save my work to a jpg, there's no advantage to moving to 16 bit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For the most part unless you do extensive photo restoration or retouching, you won't see much difference if any between using 8 Bis/Channel and 16 Bits/Channel. Camera raw always uses

16 Bits/Channel for processing regardless of the Depth setting and it's only in the Photoshop

Elements Editor where 8 vs 16 Bits/Channel comes into play.

In reality all photoshop elements versions are limited to what can be done in 16 Bits/Channel, so really no need to worry about upgrading to a newer version.

Yes JPEGs can only be 8 Bits/Channel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The patch is meant for Photoshop and not Photoshop Elements, but since the camera raw plugin

is the same, copying the plugin into the photoshop elements file formats folder works.

Glad you got it working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2023 Jan 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restarting your computer should stop any on going programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines