• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

elements/lightroom shared catalogue??

Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the Lightroom client, but as a hobbyist, I find that it is way more than I need and don't wish to migrate to the LightroomCC version. My plan is to purchase and download Elements and Organizer client and use that software to manage my photo library. However, I have tagged thousands of photos in Lightroom and don't wish to spend tens of hours retagging metadata in Elements Organizer. (I have edited very few photos in Lightroom and am not concerned about retaining edited photo data.)

Questions:

Can Elements Organizer and Lightroom share the Lightroom catalogue?

If so, does Organizer search the metadata in Lightroom catalogue automatically?

If not, can Organizer be setup to do this?

If I begin tagging new photos in Elements Organizer, will this metadata be saved in the original Lightroom catalogue?

Thanks in anticipation of answers.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

I have the Lightroom client, but as a hobbyist, I find that it is way more than I need and don't wish to migrate to the LightroomCC version. My plan is to purchase and download Elements and Organizer client and use that software to manage my photo library. However, I have tagged thousands of photos in Lightroom and don't wish to spend tens of hours retagging metadata in Elements Organizer. (I have edited very few photos in Lightroom and am not concerned about retaining edited photo data.)

Ques

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Photoshop Elements forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Questions:

Can Elements Organizer and Lightroom share the Lightroom catalogue?

If so, does Organizer search the metadata in Lightroom catalogue automatically?

If not, can Organizer be setup to do this?

If I begin tagging new photos in Elements Organizer, will this metadata be saved in the original Lightroom catalogue?

Thanks in anticipation of answers.

By @Scoop4379

I am sorry, the answer is 'No' to all.

The only 'common' feature is that Lightroom can recover the data in an organizer catalog. There is no syncing afterwards.

What you can do, just like with other third-party photo managing softwares, is to write the metadata to the files themselves before importing those files in Photoshop Elements.

If you look at what you can do with Loghtroom (Cloud based) and Lightroom Classic, you'll see that there is a fundamental structure difference beween Cloud and Computer catalogs. In my opinion, there is a real technical kind of incompatibility between those catalogs which is still more important than marketing choices ("the Lightroom ecosystem"...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just adding to @MichelBParis 's excellent answer:

There's a good training course by Jan Kabili that explains how Lightroom and Photoshop Elements can be used together:

Lightroom and Photoshop Elements: Integration (lynda.com)

You can watch some of the videos for free, and get an idea of what you can and cannot do.

(Note that the course is from 2015 and now lynda.com has become LinkedIn Learning, the course is "retired", but if you sign up to LinkedIn Leaning and dig around, you can still find it 🙂 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines