• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

elements organizer 2019 - some jpg's not loading

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Photshop and Premier Elements 2019 recently.  I've noticed that some jpg's aren't displaying in Elements Organizer, nor can they be opened in Photoshop Elements.  These same jpg's which won't display in Elements Organizer or open in Photoshop Elements display normally in other applications without issue, for example: file explorer, microsoft photo app, google photos, etc.  My OS is Win10.  The one variable I've noticed is that the jpg's that I can't open or view were originally from images shared with me via Facebook then downloaded to my laptop, I know this because the filename starts with FB.  I've imported ~1000 photos to Elements Organizer as a test, so far so good, only the images originally downloaded to my laptop from Facebook are not displaying.   No error messages display, I just get the attached view.  Any ideas?

Capture.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

jsfam  wrote

I installed Photshop and Premier Elements 2019 recently.  I've noticed that some jpg's aren't displaying in Elements Organizer, nor can they be opened in Photoshop Elements.  These same jpg's which won't display in Elements Organizer or open in Photoshop Elements display normally in other applications without issue, for example: file explorer, microsoft photo app, google photos, etc.  My OS is Win10.  The one variable I've noticed is that the jpg's that I can't open or view were orig

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jsfam  wrote

I installed Photshop and Premier Elements 2019 recently.  I've noticed that some jpg's aren't displaying in Elements Organizer, nor can they be opened in Photoshop Elements.  These same jpg's which won't display in Elements Organizer or open in Photoshop Elements display normally in other applications without issue, for example: file explorer, microsoft photo app, google photos, etc.  My OS is Win10.  The one variable I've noticed is that the jpg's that I can't open or view were originally from images shared with me via Facebook then downloaded to my laptop, I know this because the filename starts with FB.  I've imported ~1000 photos to Elements Organizer as a test, so far so good, only the images originally downloaded to my laptop from Facebook are not displaying.   No error messages display, I just get the attached view.  Any ideas?

Capture.JPG

It's a known issue.

Some Jpegs from facebook or other web sites include special items in the metadata header which are not considered as standard by Elements. The workaround is to open and save those jpegs in one of those free editors than don't worry with metadata standards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response.  There are no obvious errors being generated.  I'm a beginner.  Is there a way for me to see which items in the metadata header might be causing the issue?  Or is there an easy way to wipe out all of the items in the metadata header and still be able to view the photo in Elements Organizer and edit it in Photoshop Elements?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened the offending file in Microsoft Photo app and saved a copy through that app.  I was then able to open the new version (the copied file) in Elements without issue.  I'd still be curious to know what the problematic metadata is, but I can deal with the workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just come across the same issue. If I understand your answer correctly I cannot use Photoshop Elements for Facebook pictures which means that my catalogue will be incomplete. Is that correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to add that in my case even after saving the pictures in Microsoft photos I was unable to import them in Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have just come across the same issue. If I understand your answer correctly I cannot use Photoshop Elements for Facebook pictures which means that my catalogue will be incomplete. Is that correct?"

First, it's not a big issue but keep in mind that you were replying to a thread which is over 2 years old. This means that it's not certain that the participants are still active today. In this case it worked out but it's usually a better idea to start a new thread and if needed refer to the other one. Not because of etics or such, but because you'll increase your chances of getting an answer.

I also came across this issue with some picture collections which I had downloaded from the web years ago and there are more ways to solve this. First, the most obvious, is to try and load then into Photoshop Elements. In most of my cases it gave me a warning / error about the image being damaged or incomplete but it still loaded. I then overwrote the original and done!

Better yet: PE even makes it easy to do this as batch. Just select all the files in the Organizer, then open the editor. Use File => "Process multiple images" (the name should be close enough, I'm using a Dutch version so have to guess what this is called in English) and tell Photoshop to save all opened files to a specific location (or maybe even overwrite the originals if you feel confident). This is what I'm referring to:

image_2020-10-22_160539.png

... that should be a sure way to fix whatever issues these pictures caused. And most will be done automagically.

Second I'd also recommend getting a good image viewer which can do some minor editing and fixing as well. My personal favorite is IrfanView (which I even use as "secondary editor" within Organizer). In this case it's not very useful because as you also noticed: many other tools have no issues with these images, but it can be in some cases (I also had some images which PE refused to open, it triggered a program error, so I used IrfanView to convert & re-save them after which I could use PE again).

Hope this can help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help. In the emantime I have found an easy solution: by saving the photos as PNG files Photoshop Elements is now able to load them without any problem. I will also try the solution you suggested as a permanent fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@corradom33202328 ,

You say:

"I have just come across the same issue. If I understand your answer correctly I cannot use Photoshop Elements for Facebook pictures which means that my catalogue will be incomplete. Is that correct?"

And:

"I forgot to add that in my case even after saving the pictures in Microsoft photos I was unable to import them in Photoshop"

Not all photos from Facebook, WhattsApp or other social media have the same issue. It looks like you can open those files in Microsoft Photos and save them, but Elements (which version?) can't open them? Did you try the other known workaround which is to use the 'Open in Camera raw' file command?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your reply. By playing around with your suggestion I decided to try first with another format and by saving the photos as PNG files I have been able to load them on Photoshop. Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines