Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Face recognition re scanning .. Why ??

Explorer ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2021 PsE with organizer.

I installed and the organizer took 3 days to scan the faces.

Now when I open it the whole process is starting again. I dont understand why this is happing again. 

Can I find the catalog that finished and import it into the current one. I have tried looking for help but cant find or understand any answers.

Thanks

TOPICS
Organizer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, we need to have a better understanding of what you have done so far.  The Organizer does not rescan images for face recognition unless you have reset the process, in which case all prior recognition is lost.  (The reset button is in the Edit>Settings>Media Analysis dialog.)

Based on the limited information you have provided so far, the only other possibility is that Elements first face scans all photos and once that has been completed, it begins to scan all videos.  Videos take a lot longer to process.

Based on your specific question about catalogs, I have to ask whether you in fact have created more than one catalog?  The only way that face recognition information gets transferred from one catalog to another is when a conversion of a catalog takes place.  In other words, if you have completed face recognition on an earlier version catalog, e.g. one created with Elements 2020, all of the face recognition information is transferred over to the same catalog when it is converted to Elements 2021.  The old catalog will still exist and can be opened  in Elements 2020, but any face recognition naming you do in the old catalog cannot be transferred to the Elements 2021 catalog unless you convert the catalog again.

So, did you have a prior version catalog that has been converted to Elements 2021?  Have you created more than one catalog in Elements 2021? Without more information from you, I can't help you any further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have only had 2021 on this computer. To my knowledge I have not deleted or asked to rescan for faces again.

The only thing that I can say is that there was a nag screen telling me that the cloud software needed to be updated. I dont use it and think its anoying, but to get it to go away I did update that software. Whether that is connected or not I cannot say. Aditionally I see that there is an upgrade from 2021.1 to 2021.2. But my software refuses to see that there is an upgrade and continues to have the update on the menu grayed out or disabled so I cant click on it. I do find all this account business / Cloud this very confusing and uncessesary. 

Anyway I think I have provided the info you are looking for. I have tryed to look to see if there is one catalogue file but it appears that there are several files used for this., unless Im wrong (Possible) Cause then I could search to see if there is another catalogue somewhere. I also think a tip to my self going forward is to maybe name the catalogue. JoesCat so that when I see it in my files I will know Oh thats my Catalogue.

One other think. I have very few videos. So that should take very little time to catalogue.

Regards

Please advise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so you have only had Elements 2021 on this computer.  But have you restored a backup from an earlier version, using this computer? That would have also involved a conversion.  If you didn't restore a prior version catalogue, how did you import the photos to your catalogue(s)?

What made you think that the face recognition had completed and started again?

@ccm288 said:  Aditionally I see that there is an upgrade from 2021.1 to 2021.2. But my software refuses to see that there is an upgrade and continues to have the update on the menu grayed out or disabled so I cant click on it. 

If the Update menu item is greyed out, it means that you already have the latest 2021.2 version.  Go to Help>System Info . . .  The first line of the dialog should show the following version number:  

Adobe Photoshop Elements Version: 19.0 (20210304.m.156367) x64

If you go to File>Manage Catalogs, do you have more than one catalogue show up in the box?  If not, search your computer for the following file name:  catalog.pse19db.   This is the database file for each Elements 2021 catalogue on your computer.  The file should be found in a folder with the same name as the catalogue that appears in the File>Manage Catalogs dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had an older version of PSE on another computer.

I did not upgrade the sofeware but bought a new copy. The pictures came from a usb drive that I used both on the old CPU and on this new one. eg Drive G. It is not the C drive. So all that I did was import the photos from G. Which I asume does not have the catalogue on it.

The reason I believe it restarted is because I could see the numbers of the files in the organizer Right Hand Side bottom anylysing photos. and counting them off. untill a couple of days later it finished. Now the numbering has started again.

The version of PSE I have is . 19.0 (20210304.m.156367) x64 You seem to be telling me that his is the current version 2 of 2021. Oddly I did not install this or upgrade it. Maybe it did it automatically.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you installed at some time after March 4th, you would automatically have received the updated version.  I have no explanation for why the face recogntion would have started again under the circumstances you describe.  It might be interesting to look at the .json files in the following folder: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\[your catalog name]\FaceAnalysis\json.  These files contain the face recognition information.  The things I would be looking at are the dates of the files' creation and modification;  how many files there are; whether there is any gap in the dates of creation other than at the times the computer is not running; comparing the number of json files to the total number of files in your catalog and probably a bunch of other things.   But since you are not complaining about any problem with the actual face recognition and this doesn't seem to be a repetitive problem for you, I don't think there is anything more you want me to say.  As I said, I have never experienced this problem nor seen it reported by anyone else that I can remember.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes well it is still doing the face recognition thing. But you are probably right (I hope) that it is either an anomoly or that I have perhaps through in-expeirnce done something that I was not suppose to do. Hopefully this will not happen again.

I find that the editing software is fine (photoshop) but the ancilery things, like cataloges, various logins and background processes, some designed to sell more porducts are the main problems with photoshop. If they would just stick to the editing then it would be good. I have heard that Corel draw does not do this, and it use  to be the go to editing software. May be cheaper too. mmm now where is my Netscape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, Coreldraw is not a photo editing program and costs several hundred dollars.

I don't consider the Organizer to be an ancillary program.  It has many features that can't be found in other products.  As for the background processes, yes they can take up a lot of resources until all media analysis has been completed, but you can always turn (most of) them off if you are not using the features they support.

If you run into the face recognition issue again, please let us know and we can try to figure out what is happening on your machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I suppose SOME of the options you can turn off? But its not clear how. or I
dont see any automatic options to remove them. Of course that is I think
the way the manufacturer would like it.

Thanks for the update. I will consider this closed.
Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines