• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Full scratch disks - how do I empty them?

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the current version of PSE and can find no help that is relevant to PSE, just full blown Photoshop. How can I release/remove data that is filling my scratch disks and stopping my Photoshop Elements from functioning? Thanks for any help.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are getting a message that the scratch disks are full, it means that your computer storage is insufficient for Elements to use for a scratch disk.  Go to Edit>Preferences>Scratch Disks, and you can see which disks are in use, which are available for use, and how much storage you have:

Snap_2022.06.06_13h48m53s_002.png

If you don't have enough storage space on your computer, you need to get more or clean up the storage you already have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

NOTE: 4GB of ram installed is sometimes difficult to work with, 8bg and aBove is better. 

Scratch disc data is automatically deleted when you close the program.   A scratch disk is nothing more that a part of your hard drive that is reserved for PSE to use.  It gets used when the ram you have set aside (the default is 70%) gets all used up. 

Your scratch disk area gets used when what RAM you have set up (That 70% default value) in the performance tab in your editor preferences get "used" with temp files.   It's quite easy and somewhat typical for a scratch disk area to hit 10GB--- and it's nothing to worry about. 2022-06-06_140257.png 

Now lets say you just reach and turn your computer off with the power button.
When you look in your drive you have set up for a scratch disk you will see a adobe related temp file which should be the size depicted (In the example above it's a temp file that is 681MB in size:  just locate it, and manually delete it. 

5 bonus points if you can tell me where the pond depicted is located, and it's significance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines