• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I need to use Gotham font type but it not listed as an option. How can I get this font?

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to use Gotham font type but it not listed as an option. How can I get this font?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Hello tarap65303526,

I assume that when you tried to edit the text of a PDF "Gotham" does not appear in the drop down list of fonts. In most instances you do not have the font installed on your system.

Gotham Fonts by Hoefler & Co. are not standard fonts you would find in your system. These fonts must be purchased from the company website here: Gotham Fonts | Hoefler & Co.

Once you've completed your purchase. Download the font pack and install. The font should then be available in the drop down

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate , Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Hi Tarap,

The entire family of Gotham Fonts is available as a FREE download from https://www.dfonts.org/fonts/gotham-font-family/. They can easily be installed on your computer and will then be available to use in PSE.

And, regardless of what @kimamel & @defaultbxvyrzs66r50 say about it not working, it DOES work in both Photoshop Elements and Photoshop. Here's a screenshot of it being used in PSE 2022.

2022-03-10 06_53_22-Untitled-1 @ 66.7% (Gotham Rounded Bold Italic, RGB_8) _.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello tarap65303526,

I assume that when you tried to edit the text of a PDF "Gotham" does not appear in the drop down list of fonts. In most instances you do not have the font installed on your system.

Gotham Fonts by Hoefler & Co. are not standard fonts you would find in your system. These fonts must be purchased from the company website here: Gotham Fonts | Hoefler & Co.

Once you've completed your purchase. Download the font pack and install. The font should then be available in the drop down list of fonts on your next Acrobat restart. You can refer to this article here for installation: How do you install new fonts to Adobe Acrobat Pro XI?

Hope this information helps.

Joffre  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have Gotham, which I purchased and downloaded. It works in other Adobe software, such as Illustrator, but not Photoshop. I haven't found a good answer, so I just edit in Illustrator and pull the file into Photoshop. Not the answer you're looking for, I'm sure. But this happened after a Photoshop update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me and I have tried absoulutely everything imaginable to fix it and nothing is working. I have Gotham downloaded and installed, its in my systems Font Book and works on literally every other software excpet Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I can see all the Gotham variants in every single software (Adobe and others) except Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultu6zlmvrlwu16,

It DOES work in Photoshop!

2022-05-27 16_57_15-Untitled-1 @ 43.8% (Lorem Ipsum, RGB_8) _.png

--
Walter in Davie, FL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might have a Type 1 version of Gotham. Support for Type 1 fonts ended in Photoshop with version 23.0. They will be phased out in all Adobe products January 2023.

Best get OTF versions of your font library before then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karim, thanks for the warning about Type 1 fonts in Photoshop. BTW, I am using the OTF versions of Gotham.

--
Walter in Davie, FL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Walter your instructions worked perfectly for me first time, thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tarap,

The entire family of Gotham Fonts is available as a FREE download from https://www.dfonts.org/fonts/gotham-font-family/. They can easily be installed on your computer and will then be available to use in PSE.

And, regardless of what @kimamel & @defaultbxvyrzs66r50 say about it not working, it DOES work in both Photoshop Elements and Photoshop. Here's a screenshot of it being used in PSE 2022.

2022-03-10 06_53_22-Untitled-1 @ 66.7% (Gotham Rounded Bold Italic, RGB_8) _.png

--
Walter in Davie, FL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Walter_H this worked! I appreciate you sharing the link!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me as of today! Thank you, Walter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you a lot it worked for me. Walter! I just got the Gotham Fonts here too for free. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank Walter, you were a real help!

Tip: Select all fonts at once(command+a) and then open all(command+O) to have them all installed at once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although it doesn't mention it on the website provided, other sources say that Gotham is not open for commercial use, only personal. Just want to make sure that's noted for professionals who are looking to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you reference the source is here so that others may you? I have seen Gotham used for a commercial purposes several times from major corporations to entertainment to presidents. The usage rights may depend on the typographic provider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, great ask!

First, it's not that you cannot use Gotham for commercial use; it's that you need to buy a commercial license. Hoeflinger&Co is the orginal licensure for this font. The link above has an option to download for free; thefore, it is not licensed. If you download the font for free, you do not have a commercial license for it and can only use it for personal use.

Here are the sources and option to buy commerically: 
Commercial License: https://www.typography.com/fonts/gotham/styles
Hoefler&Co's EULA: https://www.typography.com/policies/eula 
Resource on Commercial vs. Personal Use: https://www.hitchcockpaper.com/blogs/news/fonts-commercial-vs-personal-use#:~:text=If%20you're%20tra... 

Resources on Gotham's commercial use:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/gotham-font-download/7f87f5dd-5d3d-4a51-a433-...
https://cofonts.com/gotham-font/ (Check under license [Freeware, Non-Commercial])
https://freefontsvault.com/gotham-font-download-free/ (Check out license information [Free for personal use])
https://www.sarehprice.com/blog/2019/6/15/do-you-have-the-rights-to-that-font 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham_(typeface)  (Proof of Hoeflinger&Co's ownership.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the comment. I see how my original response was misleading. My bad! 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines