• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I've recently installed El Capitan, and now Photoshop Elements 11 Editor cashed when I try save my files

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2015 Aug 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently tried the beta version of El Capitan on my MacBook Pro 13 mid 2012. I keep it up to date, installing all updates when available. Since I've being using the latest OS X, Adobe photoshop elements 11 Editor crashes when i try to save my file. All other aspects of the app appear to work perfectly, however the app becomes unresponsive when i click save as in the file menu. No options will work, and i cannot cancel the action. My only option is to force quit the app.

I bought this version of photoshop from the mac app store, and there are no updates available.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2015 Aug 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

El Capitan has not been officially released yet, so you're using a beta preview of the OSX. It's difficult for any program to offer support for an OS that's still a work in progress.

It might be best to direct support issues for this RC OSX to Apple and its operating system program administrators for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2015 Oct 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem with the official version of El Capitan that was released on the Sep 30th.

When I try to save my file it doesnot respond.

Please philiph429864 let me know how you solved the problem... if you did.

Thank you in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem with the official version of El Capitan that was released on Sep 30th.

When I try to save my file it does not respond.

Please philiph429864 let me know how you solved the problem... if you did.

Thank you in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi hcrespob‌, though I have still not found a solution to this problem, I have found a way around it. So, if you're planning on editing a photo, copy the photo to a new folder (just to avoid making unchangeable edits to the original file). Then, open photoshop, on the menu bar select 'adobe photoshop elements 11 editor', and select preferences, and then general from the dropdown menu. A window will open. Here select "saving files". Change "On first save" to 'Save over current file'.

This allows you to save any edits you have made over the file you have open. Its not a solution to the problem however. If you choose save as, the program will freeze once again. Also, though you can finally save files again, you cannot rename them, or change the file type within adobe photoshop - incredibly annoying!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

philiph

I am surprised to see this thread in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum since the issues presented in this thread are for Photoshop Elements Mac on Mac OSX 10.11 El Capitan. Might not this discussion profit from taking advantage of the specialized expertise in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum? What version of Photoshop Elements Mac are you using?

Yesterday a Premiere Elements 13 and 14 Mac user reported on good results so far with these programs on Mac OSX  10.11 El Capitan

Mac 10.11 WARNING - You may want to hold off on updating

in spite of the problems with that operating system and non Premiere Elements programs.

It was interesting to note that the System Requirement for Premiere Elements 13 and 14 do not include 10.11

Premiere Elements 13.....10.8 through 10.10

Premiere Elements 14 (just released)....10.9 or 10.10

System requirements | Adobe Premiere Elements

Note that the Photoshop Elements 13 and 14 System Requirements are the same in this regard.

System requirements | Adobe Photoshop Elements

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌i see now that this post was on the wrong forum. I'm not familiar with this site, or posting on forums in general. appologies for that mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

philiph

Thanks for the reply. No apologizes needed. I just wanted you to consider the best possible information to avoid generalizations and to get to specifics that would be available to you in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum.

It would take a moderator to move this thread that we are in now to the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum. Since the thread has been here in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum since August 2015, I am not sure when and if a moderator will take the time to move it to the Photoshop Elements Forum.

It will be interesting to follow the compatibility issues of Elements versions on Mac OSX 10.11 El Capitan so that the user can distinguish from workflow problems and Mac operating system issues.

Best wishes

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hcrespob

Please see my post replying to philiph (post 5).

What version of Photoshop Elements Mac are you using?

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2015 Oct 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop Elements 11 Editor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2015 Oct 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

herespob

Thanks for the additional information.

I am strictly and Elements Windows user and spend most of my time in Premiere Elements.

Even there I am not seeing reports of issues with Premiere Elements 14 Mac and MacOSX 10.11.

Now that this thread is in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum I think that the issue of Photoshop Elements (whatever version) and Mac OSX 10.11 will benefit by the specialized expertise here.

We will be watching for your progress and that of others.

Best wishes

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something to try:

http://barbarabrundage.com/2014/10/17/a-reminder-for-mac-folks-upgrading-to-yosemite/

In case you have trouble with the link, here is what it says and also really applies anytime you upgrade os x over os x and any versions.

A Reminder for Mac Folks upgrading to Yosemite

If you use a Mac and Photoshop Elements and plan to upgrade to Yosemite (OS X 10.10)  right away, just a reminder that in all recent versions of OS X, it has been critically important to delete all preferences before running PSE.

If you have once run PSE it is necessary to also delete the saved application states.
So you would need to go to your user library and delete:

com.adobe.PhotoshopElements.plist
Adobe Photoshop Elements < version > Paths
Adobe Photoshop Elements < version > Settings
com.adobe.Elements Organizer. < version >.plist
com.adobe.ElementsOrganizer< version>.plist

and any lockfiles with the same names, then (if you’ve used Elements in Yosemite) go to Saved Application States (at the same level as preferences) and delete any for PSE, then repair permissions and launch PSE again.

To see the User library, click the Go menu in the Finder and hold down the Option key and it will appear below the little house for your user account.

I’m not using Yosemite myself yet, but I would not be surprised if some of the older versions of PSE that work fine in 10.9 no longer work in 10.10, so I would suggest that if Elements is important to you, be sure you have a good clone of your system somewhere so that you can revert it if necessary.

EDIT 9/19/2014: Some people are having a lot of trouble with Elements 12 in Yosemite, especially the tools in the Enhance section and layer behavior, so if you are using Elements 12 and don’t wish to upgrade to PSE 13, you might want to stop and think before going to 10.10 if PSE is important to your work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2015 Oct 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

R_Kelly

Great follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue and am very frustrated! I uninstalled/reinstalled Photoshop Elements 11 and still have the same crashing issues when I go to save a file.  My biggest culprits have been panoramas.  Getting nagging memory issues that I also never used to get as well. There are no Adobe updates available from the app. I have OS X El Capitan final version. What can we do to regain compatibility? Having purchased this App at full price, I'm not about to repurchase a newer version when I love everything about this one. One of Adobe's easy troubleshooting guides is make sure you are running the latest version of OS X. We surely can't be faulted then for upgrading but still deserve a product that works.  Adobe, if you are reading this, please provide us a patch/fix/workaround or upgrade us to a newer version.

Thanks.

Kris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See post 4. From philiph429864

Not a fast solution but a way to keep using PSE 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I don't already have an initial save to save over. I'm saving for the first time, and wanting to save as a JPG, not save in the default Photoshop format.  That isn't really a workaround for me.  Adobe needs to fix this.  I also tried going into the performance settings and maxing out the memory as described in another possible solution above and that also didn't improve things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem! All of my CS 6 app won't work. Finally resolved the issue by loading the Java SS 6 pack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you mind providing a direct link to what you're referring to? I see a Java SE 6, or the latest Java JRE which seems to be at 8.x.  I don't even see an SS? What exactly did you install? And was it the crashing on file save that you were having issues with?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem, Adobe - please please answer and provide a fix for this problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That topic is about a MacOS 10.11 bug that cause the OS save dialog to not finish/exit on Elements 11 bought from the app store only.

It does not involve crashes, and appears unrelated to this topic.

Adobe is working with Apple to determine what went wrong with the MacOS 10.11 code to cause the OS Save dialog issue.

Also, if you are crashing, please post a crash report (the long, detailed text that shows the crash details).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox a écrit:

That topic is about a MacOS 10.11 bug that cause the OS save dialog to not finish/exit on Elements 11 bought from the app store only.

It does not involve crashes, and appears unrelated to this topic.

Adobe is working with Apple to determine what went wrong with the MacOS 10.11 code to cause the OS Save dialog issue.

Also, if you are crashing, please post a crash report (the long, detailed text that shows the crash details).

Chris,

I mentioned the discussion in the feedback forum about the inability to save in the Apple store version of V11 with El Capitan. That is one of the questions asked in the present Elements discussion.

"When I try to save my file it does not respond."

Yes, there are different issues with Elements 11 and El Capitan, and I am glad I am not a Mac user .

That said, I admire your patience...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on this? We are a business that uses Elements frequently. I saw that there was staff that are providing support on a customer by customer basis and was wondering if we could be included?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having exactly the same issue with Adobe photoshop Elements. Haven't used it since upgrading to El Capitain. Used it today for the first time and after I spent an hour or so editing a file went to save it as a jpeg and the save and cancel buttons were unresponsive. Had to force quit then tried several times but encountered the same problem. Is this something that is being worked on with Apple? If so how long before a fix is going to come out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2015 Oct 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with PE 11 on El Capitan.  I re-insalled my old PE 9 and it works.  I was able to design and save a file using PE 9 on El Capitan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines