• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Akamai NetSession Client safe?

Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2014 Mar 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded photoshop elements 12 bundle and when downloading it gave me the choice of using Akamai NetSession Client or other, so I used Akamai.  After installation of photoshop elements, no problem.  After installation of premiere elements, a notice came up from Window Security Alert advising a firewall has blocked features of the program.  Is Akamai NetSession safe?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you downloaded Akamai from Adobe website then it is completely safe.

Akamai is basically a download manager that allows users on slow

connection to download big files slowly and in steps without worrying

about corruption.

Now this is the theory behind Akamai but some people have complained

that their download is corrupted. The days of Akamai are almost

numbered now that people have fast broadband connection and browsers like

firefox and Internet Explorer have better system to deal with large

files. Downloading a 1.5 GB file takes less than 20 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great to hear. The corrupt files issue is interesting. When I had initially downloaded photoshop with this program I had to duplicate the albums in the category the system had converted because I could no longer remove photos from the album. I'm thinking it's best to download using the alternate choice and delete the previous downloads with Akamai if I don't need to work with the slow connection and hopefully avoid having to change all of my albums with the different categories.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The NetSession Interface is protected and doesn't contain any spyware, adware, or infections. As per the designers, the product doesn't ...I got a security alert Windows, illuminating them that Windows Firewall has hindered a few highlights of Akamai NetSession Client on open ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Waltard

I have found that use of the Akamai NetSession Interface is prone to firewalls issues whether the download is Firefox or Internet Explorer. And, if I am forced to use it, I make sure that I disable the antivirus and firewalls before use.

I have never gotten any antivirus alerts, only firewall alerts.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks ATR. I did notice that Windows did say it was a firewall alert and under more info suggested that each time you allow access, it weakens your firewall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Akamai NetSession Interface Safe?

The Akamai NetSession Interface is a secure application that may be installed on your computer to improve the speed, reliability, and efficiency for downloads and streams from the Internet. It is used by many software and media publishers to deliver files or streams to you.

The information that Akamai does capture is similar to a web server and that information is utilized for troubleshooting and network performance monitoring only.”  That means that NetSession continually sends information about your computer to Akamai.

What is Akamai NetSession Interface used for.png

They say that NetSession will only use your computer when it is “idle or utilizing minimal network resources.”  That means that NetSession is constantly monitoring your network use, and sending that information to Akamai.  And since bandwidth usage varies from second to second, that info must be sent up to Akamai a lot.  Wait a minute, didn’t they just say they only captured the sort of info that web servers capture?  Web servers don’t capture info on bandwidth use.  What other information does Akamai capture?  I could not find any specifics on their site.

So if you install NetSession, you will be joining a peer-to-peer network, and allowing Akamai to deliver files from your computer at times when Akamai deems you to be utilizing your bandwidth minimally.

I also have a security concern about the files I am receiving from NetSession.  It seems like it would not be difficult to download a file using NetSession, modify it to carry a virus payload, and then leave that computer idle, and wait for NetSession to transmit the infected file to other NetSession users.  I would hope that Akamai has taken steps to address this concern, but I can’t find any information on that.

Source - Akamai NetSession

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Many of us think Akamai Netsession is a virus but let me clear out on the thing.

Akamai Netsessionis NOT spyware nor any kind of malware. It’s installed with your permission on your PC (Comes with Games, Softwares, Adobe Products, etc) and you are at freedom to uninstall it at any time you want. The Function of this interface is to help you in making the downloading speed high.

Akamai Net session allows you to transfer files seamlessly. There is no Physical connection to your PC but, it is more like a Door Way into a virtual Storage pit that your computer transfers files to and from.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2019 Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Akamai netsession interface is a download manager that helps to increase speed and quality of downloads done through the internet. It is a tool that will help you enjoy faster, more reliable application, data and media downloads from a variety of sources you choose. When you download software from companies offering PDF files, documents, and media streams, there’s a good chance that download is powered by Akamai NetSession Interface.

You can read more of it at Is it safe to keep akamai netsession?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Akamai NetSession Interface is a secure application that may be installed on your computer to improve the speed, reliability, and efficiency of downloads and streams from the Internet. It is used by many software and media publishers to deliver files or streams to you.

For more info:

http://www.akamai.com/client/

https://winerrorfixer.com/akamai-netsession/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This could be safe or not depending on the situation. fix

Sun sin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines