Hi...I recently upgraded from photoshop elements 19 to 22 (what a mistake).
Here's the situation. I have a fairly large number of photos (44K) and some number of videos (probably 600). Photos are all JPG/JPEG or PNG, Videos are all .mov or .avi. I already realized I was having issues with HEIC files so I converted all of those (even though it's supposedly supposed to handle them).
Organizer now randomly hanges at various points in time:
* mostly when generating thumbnails from vidoes (videos that I can run fine outside organizer)
* sometimes when importing photos/videos
* sometimes when trying to view a video from organizer
* when I switch catalog files (this happens virtually 100% of the time)
* when I perform backups of the structure (it happened 100% of the time until I removed ALL videos)
Basically, I'm dead in the water and I can only assume it's because the size of my catelog. I've done all of the following:
* reinstalled windows and photoshop elements (without antivirus to remove possibly conflicts)
* turned off all face recognition, media analysis, etc
* optimized catalog
* repaired catalog (with repaired with rebuild indexes checked)
* removed cache
Help please. I'm about to throw this product out the window after wasting many hours over the last week trying to get my catalog up to date.
Crash or freeze
Import and export
Problem or error
I doubt whether your problems have anything to do with the size of the catalog. (I have over 200K files including 10K videos). What are the specs of your computer? Where are your media files stored? (On your system drive or an external or internal non-system drive?) You might try copying the catalog folder, opening the copied catalog, and deleting all of the video files from the copy to see if it makes any difference.
* computer is Intel I7 (8700) with 32 GB memory running windows 11
* all files located on the local SSD
* I only have multiple catalogs because I was experimenting with different things to see if I could figure out why it was hanging
I did delete all videos and was able to get everything else to import fine. Interestingly, I was able to import all videos into empty new project as well. Basically, I can't figure out what could be causing the issue as it doesn't seem to be with specific videos or pictures.
One other interesting thing...
* I changed the video to exlude pictures and the 'problem' videos then imported fine. I plan to do more testing on this.