• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving layers from one image to another PSE 23

Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2023 Sep 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just upgraded from PSE15 and am struggling with this new version.

I use to be able to drag a layer to the tab of the tab of the other image I want to add this layer to.

I'm doing football players and I'm opening the player image in one tab and when it's ready I'm compliling all the players into one multi layered image file.

Now it seems that I have to do this 'floating window' thing and it's much more clicking and moving of images. Makes me want to go back to the way it was.

Please help, Thank you.

TOPICS
Actions , How to , Organizer , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Ian,

Try this in order to make a composite:

1. Prepare each football player image, e.g.crop, levels contrast, etc., and save them to a folder on your desktop

2. Do the math and ascertain the size canvas that you will need, then go to File>New>blank file and enter the dimensions

3. Go to File>Place, and serially point to each image in the desktop folder, and place.

4. For orientation, you may way want to open the grid. It will not print. You can drag the images around on the canvas and fine tune

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 01, 2023 Oct 01, 2023

In pse 2023 you should be able to drag layers from the document area up to the tab of another document and then drop the layer in.

In the Move Tool options do you have Auto Select Layer checked?

pse2023ml.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not exactly sure why you think the floating window thing involves more work.  But here are a couple more things you can try:

1. With multiple photos open in the Editor, go to the Window>Images menu and select Tile.  This will display all of the images on screen and you can select individual layer(s) from one image and drag them to another.
  2. If you only want to copy one entire (edited) image to another, select the target image so that it is displayed in the workspace and drag the other image from the Photo Bin panel to the target.  (If you want to transfer a single layer from a multiple layer document.  Hide all the layers except the one you want to transfer.)  This method creates a smart layer and it can be resized within the target file without affecting the picture quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting up Tiles is even worse and working with the photo bin and creating smart layers is not what I want at all.

Why can't I do what I could do in PSE 15.

Draging the layer from one to the other was so easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian,

Try this in order to make a composite:

1. Prepare each football player image, e.g.crop, levels contrast, etc., and save them to a folder on your desktop

2. Do the math and ascertain the size canvas that you will need, then go to File>New>blank file and enter the dimensions

3. Go to File>Place, and serially point to each image in the desktop folder, and place.

4. For orientation, you may way want to open the grid. It will not print. You can drag the images around on the canvas and fine tune the sizes to suit. Each image will be on a separate layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion, but this sounds like A LOT more work than what I use to do in PSE 15

I have resorted to the following steps.

While in the player image I Use Ctrl-A and then Ctrl-C

Then move to my multi layer and Ctrl-V

Three steps now, instead of the one simple step that I use to do. Oh well that's what I get for upgrading.

Thanks anyways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the multi layer image open in the main Editor window you should be able to drag and drop the player image from the photo bin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2023 Oct 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry this doesn't work for me, I can't drag the layer I want to the photo bin and can't drag what is in the photo bin out. Especially when trying to copy a layer and it's properties from one psd file to the other.

I really should have not upgraded to this new version. My work flow has only gotten harder and it's taking more time than in the past.

Thank you anyways for your suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off the other layers by clicking the eyeball icon. So that only the layer you need is visible in the photo bin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, I appreciate you trying to help, but this new version is just not working for me and I'm only gettting more frustrated with the fact that I can't do the simple things I use to be able to do. I'm looking at youtube videos and searching the web for solutions and coming up with no answers.

Why can't I easily move a layer from one psd file to another like I did when I was using PSE15? I use to drag the layer I wanted to the tab of the other file and the program would open the other file and drop the layer in. And now I can't seem to do that.

Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other method is to right-click on the source (your player layer) and choose duplicate layer.

In the dialog that opens choose your destination file from the document pull down menu. It should list all open images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, thank you for trying. I have uninstalled PSE23 and have gone back to PSE15.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In pse 2023 you should be able to drag layers from the document area up to the tab of another document and then drop the layer in.

In the Move Tool options do you have Auto Select Layer checked?

pse2023ml.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Jeff, I wish I had waited for your answer to come along. I would say that what you are showing, is pretty much what I wanted to be able to do. Unfortuantley, I have already returned my purchase of PSE23 and have reinstalled PSE15. I guess I'm just too happy doing things the same way I've done them for years and in my short time with 23, I did not see any big difference for what I do.

Thanks again, next time I'll look you up for answers.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff Arola are you able to drag and drop a layer in Windows?  I can't.  When I hover over the target image tab, I get a diagonal line within a circle icon indicating that the drop area is not allowed.  I have tried various preference settings including with and without Floating Documents enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg_S,

Yes as long as i drag from the document area.

Dragging from the Layers panel doesn't work.

This is in pse 2023 on both Windows 10 and macOS Sonoma 14.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg that little symbol appears when trying to drag from the layers pallet. I call it the forbidden symbol. Jeff's  method does work with a little know-how. With the move tool selected click the desired item to move in the main edit window (you can check the correct layer is active in the layers panel) and then drag up to the other image tab (target). That tab becomes highlighted as active and it opens in the main editor widow. Now keeping the mouse button depressed drag down into the target image and your cursor should change to a plus symbol. Then simply release the mouse button to drop the selected layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ian Whitworth 

I did not ask before because:

- I have never used 'tabbed' view (I prefer floating windows)

- I am reluctant to reinstall PSE15...

What is described by Jeff works for me as well as using copy and paste instead of dragging.

What I am curious about is the reason of dragging layers to and from already layered files. I first supposed that was similar to creating a composite collage from different photo files of players, not from some layers. I don't see how that fits in the description of your workflow (which seems to be very repetitive?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm editing player and team shots for my local football association. 50 players per team x 3 teams. I create a 5x7 blank file that has layers for the team name and the current year to be at the bottom left or right, switch based on player pose. I then open the shot I have of the player and adjust it for lighting, maybe remove some thing out of the background. When it's ready I drag its 'layer' to the tab of the other file and it is dropped in and placed in the same order as my shoot sheet. This way if I'm having to go back and look for the player that I shot 24th, I goto layer 24 and there they are.

Other instances include wanting to use a border with effects from ome file to another and all I have to do it drage that layer to the tab of ther other file I'm creating. It's all very fast and easy for me in PSE15.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Ian,

Now I understand why you have to move layers from files which have already been processed to layered files. "Other instances" are common, but not a repetitive task.

Your use of layers to mimic stacks and albums in a single file is original enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff and John.  I was dragging from the Layers panel of the source document which doesn't work in Elements 2023 but did in Elements 15.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines