• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Surface Book - now pen doesn't work in Photoshop Elements

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last week my Surface Book died; fortunately my workplace policy covered it and I was provided with a Surface Book 3.

On my old machine I'd happily been using Photoshop Elements 13 for illustration purposes. I downloaded this to the new machine but the Surface pen behaves very erratically - making marks that are two inches to the right of where the pen nib touches the screen, and lines jumping wildly, unrelated to where I am drawing.

I've downloaded the trial version of Elements 2021 to see if it is an incompatibility issue with older software but the pen doesn't work at all there either.

I've tried:

- Checking for Microsoft's updates and installing

- Downloading and installing Wintab

- Uninstalling the relevant Human Interface drivers and restarting

None of these have worked.

The pen works in other (non Adobe) programs, eg Affinity Photo, and I can use it for the menus in Photoshop but not for drawing.

I'm half way through illustrating a graphic novel so I really don't want to change the software I'm using and therefore potentially the entire look and feel of my work. Please help.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have experience with the MS Surface screens (other than using a big one at MAX in 2014) and I am wondering if they use the Wintab API?  With Photoshop the tiny Wintab script lives in a Photoshop directory so only applies to Photoshop, and other apps will probably use Windows Ink for Wacom devices.   Windows Ink seems to be the preferred API now, so I wonder if that is the problem with your Surface Book?

Incidentally, you are in the Photoshop forum, and not the Photoshop Elements forum.  If you are not using Photoshop we can move your thread to the right forum.  So is that a yes?

Good luck btw.  I'll be interested to know how this works out for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply and apologies for posting in the wrong forum - yes please, do move it over.

I don't really know anything about Windows Ink and I only downloaded the Wintab files on a hint from somewhere else in either the Adobe or the Microsoft forums, but to no avail. But it wasn't working before, as well as after, so downlaoding appears to have had no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll move the thread for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines