• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opened PDF in Photoshop Elements 2022, but background is Grey Checkerboard, what do I do?

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 2022 extensively for specific tasks, but overall I'm no expert. Reciently, I had a task were I wanted to do some easy editing to instructions for a product. Those instructions are in PDF format. I understand that Photoshop Elements 2022 has the ability to edit PDF files.

I found and followed the instructions for opening a PDF in Photoshop Elements 2022 at the following URL. Opening files in Photoshop Elements (adobe.com) I scrolled half way down that page to that section, followed those instructions and was able to open the PDF in Photoshop Elements.

However, Photoshop placed all teh images and text of the single page PDF onto a Grey Checkerboard Background! I don't know what this means? There is nothing in the instructions at that point that talks about it? Attached is a screen shot of what I'm seeing after opening the PDF file.

Questions:

1) What does the Grey Checkerboard Background mean?

2) How do I get rid of it?

3) How do I edit the PDF product instructions?

I'm stuck, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I wish the Adobe instruction writers would assume that we customers are new to the product and would write help instructions that are complete and actually help. They know their product, and tend to assume we do also and as a result they leave out 80% of the steps that would actually be helpful.

James

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The checkerboard is just telling you "This part of the canvas / background is transparent."  You can turn it off if you want. It does not print.

2022-10-20_175346.png I'm a bit confused as to what you mean "editing the pdf product instructions."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, photoshop elements is not the ideal pdf editor.

Something like the free online Adobe PDF Editor would be better:

https://www.adobe.com/acrobat/online/pdf-editor.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you know that Microsoft Word can open PDF files?  The positioning of the text and pictures is not always great but you can then edit and save back as a word or PDF file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Questions:

2) How do I get rid of it?

James

By @jamesbtex

Menu Edit > fill layer;  in the new dialog, select White, mode Darken, opacity 100%, don't tick 'preserve transparency'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It worked for me.  Many Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jamesbtex,

You've received quite a few suggestions from our wonderful community members. Please let us know if these help in answering your queries. Should you have any follow-up questions, feel free to post them in this thread.

Regards,

Medha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines