• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements 10 on a Windows 11 - Won't Boot

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to install a download of Photoshop Elements 10 on my Windows 11 system.  I "think" everything went fine.  I was prompted to restart my system to complete instalation.  Now my system won't reboot.  It's stuck on the HP screen, computer manufacturer.  I can't get my computer to load.

What do I do?  Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I hate to think that installing this software killed my system.

Please help!

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

I had the same experience trying to install Photoshop Elements 9 on my new Windows 11 system.  In my case, upon completing the install, I received two error messages stating that "A driver cannot load on this device".  I ignored the messages and tried restarting my system but it hung while trying to start Windows.  The solution in my case was to reboot while holding down the <F2> key; I entered troubleshooting mode and then chose the option to boot to the command line.  Using DOS commands I rena

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i assume you tried Hard shutting it down--(keep the power button pressed until everything turns off)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a hard restart a couple times.  Then the system realized there was an issue.  I eventually was able to reset to the point before the PE10 install.  I'm still not sure what happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with my windows 11 laptop not starting after installing photoshop elements 10. But it works on my other laptop that upgraded from windows 10 to windows 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try booting into Safe Mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem on a brand new win 11 laptop. Crashed when prompted to restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same experience trying to install Photoshop Elements 9 on my new Windows 11 system.  In my case, upon completing the install, I received two error messages stating that "A driver cannot load on this device".  I ignored the messages and tried restarting my system but it hung while trying to start Windows.  The solution in my case was to reboot while holding down the <F2> key; I entered troubleshooting mode and then chose the option to boot to the command line.  Using DOS commands I renamed three files containing the problematic drivers in order to hide them:

windows\system32\drivers\PxHlpa.sys > PxHlpa.hide

program files (x86)\common files\sonic  shared\PX Drivers\pxhelp64.sys > pxhelp64.hide

program files (x86)\common files\sonic  shared\PX Drivers\pxhlpA64.sys > pxhlpA64.hide

After hiding these driver files, I was able to once again start Windows normally.

Photoshop Elements 9 seemed to open fine but at  that point I decided I didn't want to discover other incompatibilities later so I uninstalled Elements 9 and upgraded to Elements 2023 which has a more usable appearance on a 4k monitor anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked great.  Thank you Larry.

The only difference is that one of the three drivers was slightly different for me as I installed Premiere Elements 10.

windows\system32\drivers\PxHlpa64.sys > PxHlpa64.hide

I also booted to Safe Mode instead of a command prompt and renamed the files in Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2023 Nov 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had no luck hiding the photoshop files that keep windows 11 from loading using the command prompt.   Could you tell me where in explorer you found those files?  I browsed the Adobe files and didn't spot them.  Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop Elements 9 seemed to open fine but at  that point I decided I didn't want to discover other incompatibilities later so I uninstalled Elements 9 and upgraded to Elements 2023 which has a more usable appearance on a 4k monitor anyway.

By @Larry31626666xxiv

That was a good decision, Larry, and PSE 2023 is 30% off in the U.S. and Canada until 11:59 pm (PT) on September 4, 2023.

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements/buy-elements.html

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Larry, it worked a treat!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2023 Nov 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I just installed photoshop 10 on my spouse's new HP running Windows 11.  Now the computer will not load Windows but gets stuck on the HP logo.  I entered the command mode and tried to hide the driver files you recommended,  but the command response was that it was an invalid path.  I checked my typing several times for errors and found none.  I  booted succesfully into the safe mode but can't uninstall photoshop in the safe mode and have had no luck getting Windows to start in safe mode with internet.  Suggestions?  Could there be a typo in the driver paths in your reply? (Can't quite make out whether the letter after the "H" is an "l" or a "1")  will Adobe provide support to fix this?  I am desperate as my spouse uses the computer to write a monthly newspaper column.  Thank you for any help you can provide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Larry. I read your post over a few times and then, before taking the next step, I checked to see if File Explorer could find the files you mentioned. Not finding them, and being aware of your <F2>suggestion, I went ahead to shut down and rebooted. To my extreme pleasure, it booted up without the troubleshooting mode. No more old software for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a million, this saved us a lot of reinstalling etc. We had the exact same problem after installing Photoshop Elements 9 on Windows11. 'Hiding' the mentioned Sonic files made the laptop boot again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!! Saved me hours of work!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2024 Jun 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Larry: You saved my life! (I had installed Photoshop Elements 10.)

Should I now delete those 3 files I renamed *hide?

Should I delete the whole Directory called program files (x86)\common files\sonic  shared\PX Drivers\

Thanks in advance to any who respond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2024 Jun 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those 3 Px/px files take up nearly 200,000 bytes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2024 Jun 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well...

Even after hiding those files the computer started doing some quirky things. E.g., I wanted to see if my CD writer would work as before, and it now took forever to copy a disk. Also, it seemed that at certain sleep settings (like 20 minutes) the computer would not shut down, though it would do so when I set it at 5 minutes. I had not had these problems prior to installing Photoshop Elements 10.

So I did a clean reinstallation of Windows 11 and deleted all the partitions I could delete.

Now I am back to the way the computer was when I bought it. So I will reinstall my programs and hope the glitches are gone.

And I will definitely create a restore point before I install any old software!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2023 Dec 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing Photoshop Elements 11 (licensed version) on my Windows 11 PC, I have encountered this problem as well, but I'm not sure that the installation is complete to the point where
I won't be able to reboot. I stopped at the error messages "This app can't run on this device" " PX Engine unknown".  and a suggestion that I might try turning off Memory Integrity. Is there any chance that the installation has stopped and I could eliminate the problem by  making some changes before I shut down and reboot? Reinstallation of my system would be a major problem for me.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Gil Charters

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2024 Jan 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further to my message on Dec. 31, 2023 ... it's Photoshop Elements 13 I'm trying to install. Also, I have not found any evidence of the  px... files mentioned in this thread.   What advice would you give me at this point. I still have not tried any re-boots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having Premiere Elements 2023 and had to turn off Memory Protection to make it work properly. Win 11. No solution from Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2023 is supposed to be OK on Windows 11. I'm surprised you had to turn off Memory Protection. My problem involves an old version ... Photoshop Elements 13

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strongly recommend not trying to load into Windows 11 any version of Elements other than 2023. I loaded "Elements" 10 and it ended up forcing me to reinstall Windows 11. An awful mess that took hours to repair. The 2023 version works fine although I don't like the changes from previous versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2024 Sep 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue with Photoshop Elements 7 installed on a brand new Acer Aspire 5 running Windows 11.  I had to completely reinstall Windows 11 tried again and the same thing happened again and again.  It seems to be a driver that is causing the issue.  After reading everything I could online about this issue and reaching out to Adobe, who were unhelpful and not interested, I unhappily bit the bullet and upgraded to Photoshop Elements 2024.  I know my software was old, but it's considered premium software, so I would have hoped there would have been a fix or a patch from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2024 Sep 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Andrew Painter 99 

Photoshop Elements 7 was released twelve years ago in 2002. You got a good run for your money, and I hope you enjoy the new version.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines