• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements 2022 Organizer Missing thumbnails - Other Folders?

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed Photoshop Elements 2022 Organizer to sort photos and have imported over 130,000 images.  Most are *.jpg files and not huge files.  I'm missing thumbnails in folders.  Prior to using PSE software, I'd put photo in 1 folder by Month/Year and copy the photos for printing to another folder with wider date range (where I'd print).  I'm finding Thumbnails missing from the folder with Month/year but may be in other folder for printing.  I'd like thumbnails for these pictures to show up in both places.  As far as i can tell, I have not turned on any filters.  During the process, I created My Catalog, Optimized, and Repaired it (and backed up just the structure at 13 GB).  This has not fixed the problem.  Should the software be able to display a thumbnail in 2 or more folders if photo is in multipe locations?   Any guidance would be appreciated.

TOPICS
How to , Organizer , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You cannot import same file twice from 2 different locations as Organizer treats them as duplicate files. As a workaround, you can rename the files at one of the 2 locations to enable import from 2 locations simultaneously.

Thanks,

Somya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the quick reply. 

If Organizer only sees the duplicated photo/file once, how does it determine which folder to user for creating the thumbnails? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the quick reply. 

If Organizer only sees the duplicated photo/file once, how does it determine which folder to user for creating the thumbnails? 

By @Peter_for_PSE

Hi Peter,

You are coming from a folder based organization and going to a catalog (database) based organization.

Catalog or database users consider absolutely necessary to take advantag of the indexing and grouping features to avoid creating duplicates. Duplicates not only take unnecessary disk space, but they are a nightmare when you have to edit and update files. You don't need to duplicate the files when you can make reference to the same media file in different albums (= files playlists) or by finding them by common tags.

So, in your case, the answer is that when you first scan your computer to reference files in the database, there is an important test to compare each scanned file with the contents of the current catalog. If the scanned file matches the identical criteria (mainly date_taken and file size in kilobytes - not necessarily same file name), it is skipped and only the first one to be read is kept.

You could ask for help and suggestions to avoid creating duplicates after the initial import, or how to create voluntarily strict duplicates in different places, but if your problem is with the first bulk import, the normal 'import' feature will skip duplicates and renaming or moving duplicates elsewhere won't fool the dupes filter at import time and you'll get the dreaded message that files are skipped because they are already in the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the explanation that makes sense.  Will have to rethink how pictures are sorted and add more tags/ratings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines