• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements Editor 2021 freezes during launch on M1 MacBook Pro 16 at adding extension Multi

Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop Elements Editor 2021 freezes during launch on my new M1 MacBook Pro 16 at adding extension... Multiprocessor Support. This one has Monterey preinstalled, of course. In preparation, I upgraded to Monterey 12.1 on the older system yesterday by clean install with recovery using Migration Assistant. Photoshop Elements worked fine afterwards, so I'm pretty sure the new hardware is at least part of the issue.

I found several posts that refer to similar issues, but some of the facts don't quite match on the posts I've found. Either the system version is earlier (mine is Monterey 12.1), or the version of Photoshop Elements Editor is later (mine is the latest for PSE 2021, I think: 19.0 - 20210811.m.158081).

Is this a problem that already has a remedy or that might have a remedy in the near future? I took advantage of the Adobe promotion on this product last summer, and replacing an aging Mac in the household is now making me regret it. At least Acorn runs fine.

Anyway, thanks.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

I managed to get Photoshop Elements Editor 2021 to run on my MacBook Pro 16 in., but I'm really not sure what precise actions were necessary. What I did was to simply uninstall or delete everything I could find with "Adobe" in its name. Among these were  the ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe folder, as well as every folder in /Applications/Utilities whose name contained "Adobe".

I again attempted to run the uninstaller for Elements 2021, which failed, presumably because I had already deleted it

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

There is a known issue in macOS 12 that is causing the hang in earlier versions of Photoshop Elements (versions 2021 and older) and is being actively investigated by Apple at this time. We'll share more updates on the Photoshop Elements community in due course of time. Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Medha Sharma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I know it's not 12 or 12.1 alone, because I just performed the OS install and migration on my 2018 T2 MBP day before yesterday. It worked fine in 12.1 on the T2, but not on the M1 after I performed the migration from the same backup disk on my new MacBook Pro 16 in. yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to get Photoshop Elements Editor 2021 to run on my MacBook Pro 16 in., but I'm really not sure what precise actions were necessary. What I did was to simply uninstall or delete everything I could find with "Adobe" in its name. Among these were  the ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe folder, as well as every folder in /Applications/Utilities whose name contained "Adobe".

I again attempted to run the uninstaller for Elements 2021, which failed, presumably because I had already deleted items required for the uninstaller to run. Then I just deleted the Photoshop Elements Editor 2021 folder from /Applications.  After that, I reinstalled Elements 2021, and reentered registration data when prompted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant to say, of course, that I just deleted the Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021 folder from /Applications, not the Photoshop Elements Editor 2021 folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

It's good to hear that you were able to resolve the issue. Thanks for sharing your findings on this forum and we hope other users would also benefit from this.

Regards,

Medha Sharma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I still don't understand why Adobe, an enormous, well-funded tech company, does not have a clear answer. Monterey had  been out for months now. Why do users have to come up with the answers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines