• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE 2021 dropped Camera RAW Database?

Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used the database with PSE 2018, but can't find a choice for it in PSE 2021. Am I overlooking something?

TOPICS
How to , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Hi Frans,

The ability to save image settings in a Camera Raw database was deprecated in Adobe Camera Raw 12.3 which was released in July 2020.

Here's Andrew Rodney (aka @TheDigitalDog) on the Camera Raw database vs. XMP sidecar files over on the Camera Raw Support Community:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw/bake-xmp-changed-into-my-canon-raw-files/m-p/11280998#M11672

Not convinced? Here are some workarounds:

- Hide the XMP sidecar files: If you still maintain a folder-based wa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Adobe dropped the database for Camera Raw. I thought that was older than PSE 2018...

I assume it was because practically no one was using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, now I'm going to use XMP and clutter up my folders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Frans2001

Think about it: there must be a reason why everybody finally preferred the xmp sidecar files to the raw database. I absolutely don't mind 'cluttering up' my folders since I use the organizer with its databases and don't care much about folders. You may find discussions about that organizing choice database vs xmp sidecars, but the only discussion about that in the present PSE forum was one I posted years ago. It did not get any answer or comment.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/user-interface-updates.html

Another link:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/camera-raw-and-dng/restore-embed-the-xmp-file-into-the-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Frans2001 wrote:

"Clutter" up folders? No. Convert proprietary raws (assuming you shoot raw) to DNG, all that and more is stored in the DNG. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Frans,

The ability to save image settings in a Camera Raw database was deprecated in Adobe Camera Raw 12.3 which was released in July 2020.

Here's Andrew Rodney (aka @TheDigitalDog) on the Camera Raw database vs. XMP sidecar files over on the Camera Raw Support Community:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw/bake-xmp-changed-into-my-canon-raw-files/m-p/11280998#M116...

Not convinced? Here are some workarounds:

- Hide the XMP sidecar files: If you still maintain a folder-based way of organizing your images, here's a quick video recording I made of a way to hide the XMP sidecar files in Windows 10's File Explorer:

Just remember to unhide them if you're manually copying the image files to another folder/drive/computer or you'll run into the same issues that Andrew Rodney described when he was talking about the Camera Raw database.

- Revert back to Adobe Camera Raw 12.2.1: Use the steps outlined here to replace your current Adobe Camera Raw plug-in with version 12.2.1 which still contains the option to save your image settings in the Camera Raw database:

Update the Camera Raw version on your Mac or Windows machine

Here are some screenshots of Adobe Camera Raw 12.2.1 working in Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021:

Adobe Camera Raw 12.2.1 Splash ScreenAdobe Camera Raw 12.2.1 Splash Screen

Adobe Camera Raw 12.2.1 Preferences DialogAdobe Camera Raw 12.2.1 Preferences Dialog

- Convert all your images to DNG files: if you really don't like XMP sidecar files AND you want to run the latest version of the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in, convert all your images to DNGs using Adobe's DNG Converter:

Adobe Digital Negative Converter

Hope that gives you enough info to help you make an informed choice 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines