Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE flattens layered PSD files

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've sent layered PSD files to some teammates to use in Elements, but Elements has been flattening the them. Anyone know the fix for this?

Thanks!

Michael

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Mac , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you save the file in JPEG format the layer structure will not be preserved.

"Elements has been flattening them." There has to be some intervention in your work flow for this to occur.

What is the method of transmission to your teammates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I save them as PSD files from Photoshop, zip them then send them via Sharefile.

Shoud I try sending them one at a time unzipped?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, send a single unzipped PSD file as a test. Please let us know how you make out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using photoshop cc?

If so, some layer types may not be recognized by photoshop elements and also make sure you send the files as 8 Bits/Channel, since photoshop elements will not open 16 Bits/Channel documents as layers.

In the above cases photoshop elements should offer to convert the image to 8 bits/channel to preserve the layers or essentially ignore the unsupported layer type by rasterizing the layer(s) to maintain a layered document.

Screenshot-(571).pngScreenshot-(572).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OP states that he/she is using PSE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just tried that. Same issue. I was told that their versions of Elements are all requiring an update. Would that be a cause or contributor of the problem?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

I checked and the files and layers are all 8-bit RGB. I'm using CC 2022 - just updated the other day.

The only other thing I can think of is that I'm on an iMac and they're on PCs, but I've send layered PSD files like this before and not had a problem.

Thanks!

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are any of the layers Gradient Map adjustment layers?

It might be much easier and faster to identify the issue if you downloaded a trial version of photoshop elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

No adjustment layers. Just soem type and images. Pretty basic and simple. The teammates I'm workign with here don't have much if any experience with Photoshop, so I've kept it as simple as I can. Background image, and 3 type layers, that 's all.

I've got the latest version of Elements on my machine, and the PSD fies are importing without any issue. That's what makes this issue so curious.

Thanks!

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly they are using File>Open in Camera Raw instead of File>Open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when one of team members sends a layered (test) file to you?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looks like I've found the answer, or an answer - at least for now. The PSD files had 2 layers that were locked. whem I unlocked them, my teammates were able to open them unflattened in PSE.

Not sure why this is, but I'm going with this for now.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines