Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Raw and JPEG not stacking

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2024 Jan 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elements 2024, Windows 11, Canon RP

I've used Lightroom for many years and now I'm trying out Elements as I don't want to pay a monthly subscription.  When I import files from my camera or from a folder on my PC, either in bulk or by selecting them all, they are imported OK, but they do not stack as I expected.  I don't think it was even an option in Lightroom - the Raw and JPEG appeard as a single photo in the organiser.  That's what I want in Elements.

I have ticked the option in Preferences | Camera or Card Reader (APD) to Automatically Stack Raw and JPEG, but it makes no difference.  Also, if I read this correctly, the stacking doesn't work for Bulk Import, which is bonkers - if I want to import many days' photos, they are all in different folders so even if it did work, I'd have to do each folder separately.

Finally, the option of import From Files and Folders has an option to Get Photos from Subfolders, but this is greyed out.  It appears to be ticked but it doesn't work as I can't select a folder to get all the images below it.

To be clear - I don't want it to suggest Stacks of similar images.  I want every image imported to be a pair of CR3 raw and JPEG.

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Organizer , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Participant , Jan 14, 2024 Jan 14, 2024

In addition to the Preferences - 'Camera or Card Reader', is ‘Automatically Stack Raw and JPEG’ selected via File - 'Get Photos and Videos' - 'From Camera or Card Reader'?  (see attached screenshots).  I tested a bulk import and they stacked ok on my machine (Mac,  Elements 2023, Nikon).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 14, 2024 Jan 14, 2024

Just to be clear, you cannot stack jpeg/raw files except when importing new files from a camera or card reader.  However, if you use the Find>By Visual Searches, it may make it easier to stack the raw/jpeg files that should always be found together.  Admittedly, it will also suggest similar files, e.g. those shot in a burst.  But you have the option to select a pair of files and stack them both within the dialog and also in the main grid. 

For many years, I have been requesting that Adobe allo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to the Preferences - 'Camera or Card Reader', is ‘Automatically Stack Raw and JPEG’ selected via File - 'Get Photos and Videos' - 'From Camera or Card Reader'?  (see attached screenshots).  I tested a bulk import and they stacked ok on my machine (Mac,  Elements 2023, Nikon).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, yes, I had also ticked that box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear, you cannot stack jpeg/raw files except when importing new files from a camera or card reader.  However, if you use the Find>By Visual Searches, it may make it easier to stack the raw/jpeg files that should always be found together.  Admittedly, it will also suggest similar files, e.g. those shot in a burst.  But you have the option to select a pair of files and stack them both within the dialog and also in the main grid. 

For many years, I have been requesting that Adobe allow jpeg/raw files to be stacked automatically from any Import module.  But I'm not holding my breath for any change in this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I see.  There's a separate dialogue for Import from Card Reader or Camera.  I've never done this in any app - I prefer to be in charge of moving files around so I have scripts to physically copy the photos from the card reader to the PC, then I run the import process from the filestore.  It's irritating but I understand how to do it at least.  Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm, I wonder if I can fool the PC into thinking that a sectoin of filestore is actually a memory card.  I had stopped my Pixel from shooting in raw because my old Lightroom couldn't process them, but I had wondered about using it again.  However, I usually download the photos from Google Photos rahter than directly from the phone.  I'm not even sure where the phone stores photos.  More experimenting to be done ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can copy files to a memory card or thumb drive (or some portable drives) and then use the Adobe Photo Downloader to import them to your catalog (and save them to your hard drive with a variety of naming schemes).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines