• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrading Photoshop Elements from 12 to 2023

New Here ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have Photoshop Elements 12 on Windows 10.  

I purchased a new computer with Windows 11.  Photoshop 12 will not install on windows 11 so I purchased Photoshop Elements 2023 and installed on the new laptop.

How do I move the catalogs/data from the old laptop? Do I have to upgrade on the old to 2023 before I do the backup and restore to move the catalogs to the new laptop?

Thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Hi Annette.  To answer your specific questions, there is no need to upgrade your old computer to Elements 2023 before restoring the catalog on the new computer.  When you restore the catalog on the new computer under Elements 2023, the catalog will be automatically converted to the new catalog format.  But be patient during the restoration as it can take a long time (depending on the size of your catalog).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Annette29700516q703 

Thanks for reaching out.

Photoshop Elements 12 was an old version of the software, so there is a high chance of having issues with the old catalog. You can try migrating your work to the latest version of the application that you have downloaded and installed.

Here are the steps: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/backup-restore-move-catalog-photoshop.html

Try these out, and let us know how it goes.

Best,

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  The Catalogs transferred correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Annette.  To answer your specific questions, there is no need to upgrade your old computer to Elements 2023 before restoring the catalog on the new computer.  When you restore the catalog on the new computer under Elements 2023, the catalog will be automatically converted to the new catalog format.  But be patient during the restoration as it can take a long time (depending on the size of your catalog).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a slightly different issue. I have Elements 12 on my desktop and now want to upgrade to Elements 2023 on the same machine. I guess I could simply rebuild the catalogue by importing all photo files into the new program but I would lose all tags etc. So I want to restore the Elements 12 backup into Elements 2023 - is this simply a restore in the new program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add on question - I have not reconnected all files in the old program - can I do this once I have restored in the new program or must I go back, reconnect and do a full backup again (rather than incremental)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add on question - I have not reconnected all files in the old program - can I do this once I have restored in the new program or must I go back, reconnect and do a full backup again (rather than incremental)?

By @philipl61442014

Adobe does highly recommend to reconnect before backing up.

On the other hand, in some cases, you may be lucky to reconnect successfully from the restored catalog and media.

Think about it, what do you backup when you have missing files?

- The whole catalog including the recorded location and properties of ALL items, even disconnected.

- The list of  pictures to scan and copy for the backup can't include disconnected files.

The question now is: is it easier to reconnect before or after the restore?

- if you restore in a new computer or drive, the missing/disconnected files may no longer be accessible.

- If after the restore the missing files are still accessible, you may be able to reconnect all or part of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I did reconnect but was told photos already existed - but I couldn't see them. I started up Elements 2023 and was asked if I wanted to convert the catalog found - I said yes. Can I start again somehow? Disconnect this catalog and get photos from folders instead - hoping that existing image tags come along with the photos (or are these only held in the Catalog?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks - I did reconnect but was told photos already existed - but I couldn't see them.

By @philipl61442014

I understand that you started the reconnecting process and got an error message.

Reconnecting  is far from being intuitive and automatic, so I would need more info about that error message. Messages of this kind are more frequent when importing files than trying to reconnect them.

I started up Elements 2023 and was asked if I wanted to convert the catalog found - I said yes. Can I start again somehow? Disconnect this catalog and get photos from folders instead - hoping that existing image tags come along with the photos (or are these only held in the Catalog?).

By @philipl61442014

You can always convert an old catalog again.

Importing again would be a bad choice, since the tags, captions and albums/version sets are not stored by default in the files themselves. You might be able to recover only tags and captions you had voluntarily saved into the files.

However, if you have found the real location of missing files and you have difficulties using the reconnect functions, try to move them from the Explorer to the recorded location in the catalog; in some cases, reimporting the found files may work (no guarantee...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines