• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

want to batch smart fix

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to be able to select hundreds of pics in Organizer and Smrt Fix them in a batch. It took all night but it was still worth the time.

Now I have Elements 19 and I can only Smart Fix 1 pic at a time. Was the batch capability removed or am I missing something?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

You'll need to be in expert mode for it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this will produce identical results but go to File >> Process multiple files ... and note the options available to you in upper right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding. I see that option but I cant seem to access it. It's not "highlighted" in my menu so i can't click on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need to be in expert mode for it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The capability still exists in the Instant Fix tool.  Make sure you have the Show All Photos button toggled on:

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.01.02_19h55m44s_004_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this thread, the batch smartfixing within the Organizer and the Editor are both discussed. Simple question: Which one produces better results?

Background:

Maybe I am the only one, but I would expect both ways (i. e. within the Organizer and the Editor) to produce exactly the same results, even though I admit that the term "smartfix" is not really clear and distinct, but they are both called "smartfix" within the very same software bundle (Adobe Elements) and both also have the same goal of "smartfixing".

However, the results are, at least for some pictures quite different. I tend to like the results which the Editor produces more which is somewhat a pity as I like the workflow that the Organizer offers more compared to the workflow needed for smartfixing with the Editor.

So does it depend on the picture or personal preference or are there more people with the impression that the Editor delivers better smartfix results (or the opposite)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Organizer's tool is actually called Instant Fix.   If all you want is a single-button click, then all of these features probably have a similar result.  But the Organizer's Instant Fix, and the Editor's Process Multiple Files>Quick Fix options are different.  Instant Fix is newer and is a better tool in my opinion.  There is no ability to preview the results in the Editor's batch processing, and you only have one option toggle for each of the parameters (levels, color, contrast and sharpen).  The Organizer's tool allows you to make adjustments on a sliding scale, using the preview sliders and the adjustments will be applied to all of the selected images.

Beauty, as they say, is in they eyes of the beholder.  So, it is very difficult to provide a definitive comparison. But given the advances that have been made in certain aspects of the tools involved, I would think that the newer one comes out better in most comparisons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the names:

(a) Organizer: I'm sorry, Greg, the tool bundle is called "Instant Fix", but within this bundle, there is a button called "smart fix" (mouse over) and it does the one click optimization the OP was asking for (if you click "auto").

(b) Editor -> Quick mode: It's also calles smart fix, but produces (maybe not with all but with many pictures) different results than (a).

(c) Editor -> process multiple files: This is indeed called quick fix, as you mentioned, and not smart fix as in my posting. Sorry for that, I mixed it up with the name of (b), but my point is still valid:

(a) and (b) have the same name but produce (maybe not with all pictures but with many) different results.

I did a small comparison last night with 10 pictures out of a Samsung Galaxy S10 compared to (a) to (c). Pictures were quite different, but all of them people pictures in different conditions (backgrounds, light etc.). As you said, eyes of the beholder. My wife and me came to the following conclusions (she decided but didn't know about the whole experiment conditions and what it was all about):

1. In 6 out of this 10, the original one was regarded as best.

2. In 2 out of 10, (b) was best.

3. In 2 out of 10, (c) (with all four boxes checked) was best.

4. In 10 out of 10, (a) with "auto" was regarded as worst, sometimes clearly, sometimes not a big difference.

On first sight, 4. seems to be a contradiction to what you wrote, but I guess, you were referring to better controls, sliders etc. and not directly to the one click auto smartfix. So maybe this is the conclusion:

If you want

(i) batch processing with auto optimization, go for Editor -> process multiple files. The result is not identical but on a similar level compared to single pic-by-pic processing with smartfix in the Editor (cf. (iii)) and better than smartfix in Organizer. As in 60% the original was best for me, I will not include this in my standard import workflow, as some others do apparently.

(ii) batch processing with advanced controls and previews, go for Organizer -> Instant Fix (cf. Greg's posting)

(iii) single pic-by-pic auto optimization, go for Editor and smartfix but the only advantage compared to (i) is that you can better manually select the pictures you want to optimize, but it takes more time.

(iv) single pic-by-pic processing with advanced controls and previews, both Organizer -> Instant Fix and the Editor are fine.

What do you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you have found, the results mainly depend on your taste.

They also are very dependent on your display conditions: are you using a decent, hardware calibrated display in good lighting conditions? Otherwise it's impossible to compare anything.

The enhancing algorithms only try to give you easy 'pleasing' results, not strictly true colors for display or printing. No reason at all to use the same settings for a 'quick' and automatic fix or to provide the best 'negative' for further manual editing.

The best tool in Elements for 'automatic' and advanced results is the ACR raw converter. You can use it not only for raw files, but also for jpegs. The 'auto' setting is mainly optimized to start with the best information you can before editing each file or a given set of the opened files. So, Elements has four ways to batch auto-correct files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, of course, sorry, I forgot to mention my display with respect to my comparison so that you can make sure it is valid: It's a hardware calibrated EIZO EV2785 and it was almost dark around us during the comparison.

Thank you for your hint regarding ACR. I just tried it and extended my comparison with the 10 pictures out of ACR and I think it delivers yet other results but on a comparable level than Editor Quick / Smartfix, so better than Organizer Smartfix. But I don't understand why the jpg-option is not present in ACR as it would be very easy to integrate and make the workflow more efficient, but this is not the main topic here.

So, we found four ways of auto-correcting (Organizer Smartfix, Editor Quickfix, ACR auto, Editor Smartfix) with all of them out of the same software bundle while delivering different results.

You mentioned "four ways to batch auto-correct files". Editor Smartfix seems to me not capable of batch processing, so I would end up with three ways for batch correction. What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I don't understand why the jpg-option is not present in ACR as it would be very easy to integrate and make the workflow more efficient, but this is not the main topic here.

Not sure what you mean by the "jpg-option"?

You can open and edit jpegs as well as flattened .psd or .tiff files just like raws.

If you mean saving the result in jpeg, you simply 'Open' in the editor to save, continue to edit for local tools or layers, then you have all the options of the editor to save in your preferred format. Adobe considers the ACR plugin as only the converting stage in Elements. You can also simply work on a batch of 50 or 100 files, mixed jpegs and raws, select all after editing and a simple click on 'Done'. Then a simple export in jpeg from that batch (an album for instance) and you have your jpeg results.

Also have a look at the Preference dialog icon on top and the section 'default image settings'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean. And I am sorry for being too short on my jpg comment as this is not the main focus of this thread. Anyway, I was referring to the "Save image..." button which gives you only the dng-export option and the pull-down contains dng and DNG. So basically I don't understand why there isn't a third option, i. e. jpg, as this would make the batch jpg export later (also described in your workflow) obsolete.

But the main focus is batch optimizing: Can you quickly comment on the fourth option for batch correction that I am missing (cf. previous post)? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are right that the smart fix in the editor expert mode is not available for batch editing.

However, I would not be surprised if the scripting tool in the very affordable Elements+ would work with that command.

https://elementsplus.net/help/en/batch.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines