• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why am I unable to view slideshow created by Photoshop Elements 2018 Organizer?

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all... I am running Photoshop Elements 2018 in Windows 10.  I do not have two Graphic Adapters.  Also, I followed the instructions to make changes via regedit. I can hear the music playing and the slideshow moving forward but no images are able to be seen.  If I CLICK on the screen I can see the slide in the background but when I release the click on the slide the view of the slide disappears. I have tried this on several created slideshows in Organizer with same result. This is getting frustrating.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mikedjones1128,

Please specify the graphics card you are using.

Also try clearing media cache. For that go to Edit > Preferences > Files. Under Media Cache, Clear Cache.

Thanks,

Yachika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you responding Yachika.  The one graphics adapter I have is Intel HD Graphics 620.  I cleared the media cache but still have a black screen while it is playing the music and advancing. If I press pause the photo then appears.  If i then resume the screen turns back to black.  If I save it (though black screen) and then try to play I still get black screen (no photos).  I repeated process of clearing media cache and still the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please try this one.

Go to application preferences > General and uncheck 'Use Graphics processor for video playback'.

Thanks,

Yachika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see that option here (see below)

...nor here

Please advise.

Thanks

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 1:43 AM, yachikag68482697 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind... please disregard that last reply from me. I found it and

Unchecked it but when I put together a simple 10 photo slideshow the same

thing happened... (black screen while playing but if I hit pause the slide

appears). This is getting ridiculous. .

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 6:58 AM, MICHAEL D JONES <mikedjones1128@gmail.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone from Adobe Customer Support needs to contact me to get this resolved.  I have already tried other Adobe suggestions to no avail.  A slideshow should be a simple feature but I have already spent an excessive amount of time and energy to get this to work to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, using 2018.  I had also LOOKED for the suggested STAFF (?) fixes and found one about media card. did not work.  I could not find a clear cache in the General.  I'm sure it's another PSE problem that will go UNANSERED. jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have exactly the same issue.  Black screen on playback of slide show, and can 'skip' to individual frames - but app may also crash/freeze and have to restart machine.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (single - Intel Graphics 520) with Win 10 (1709). 

I 'did' also have a warning on installation, and after I manually found the log file (as the link in the setup dialog didn't work 😕 (urlencoded) - it seemed it couldn't install Microsoft C++ 2017 redistributable, as I already had a 'newer' version (14.12.25810). 

What gives?  I upgraded specifically for the rewritten slideshow functionality, so this is a dealbreaker.  Will try and get chat support whenever that's available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Removed Microsoft C++ 2017 (14.12.25810)
  • uninstalled Premiere Elements 2018
  • Reinstalled Premiere Elements 2018 (this installed Microsoft C++ 2017 (14.10.25017)

Tried creating another small slide show - same deal

Tried unticking 'use graphics processor for video playback' - no dice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had Adobe support attempt to help then tell me that the Intel HD Graphics 520 (in Surface Pro 4) is not in compatible graphics adapters list.

I then updated to Windows 10 April 2018 update (1803) - just as a last try - and no dice.  Will do some more checking, and report back if something miraculous happens - otherwise will unfortunately be going the refund route

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - so whadya know?  I fiddled a bit more with the Elements Organizer, and something that was nagging at me previously made me check something.  I noticed that when I'd picked some images and selected to create a slideshow, the maximise/restore icons in the top right of the window were somewhat non-functional - and the drop-down menus didn't work.  Pretty much the only thing that worked was to click the 'X' to close the window - or wait for the 'black' slideshow to finish.  The music was pretty jittery to start, but settled down after a couple of seconds.

I tried to manually resize, or 'move' the window, and after the window moved down fractionally - i.e. was no longer 'maximised' - the slide show appeared, and kept running.  This was 'with' and 'without' the 'use graphics processor to render video' option ticked - no difference either way.

It's annoying that I'd have to wiggle it, just a little bit, each time, but realistically this allows me to pretty much get the job done.

There's still obviously glitches (as certain functions don't respond), and I'll decide whether I can live with it - but hopefully this helps someone else actually produce a slide show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  Got the black screen.  I clicked the minimize icon on the top right of the window and dragged the screen a bit to the left, and the video appeared.  Very strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2018 May 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please try the workaround listed at : Troubleshoot slideshow and video playback issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link.  I'd looked at this previously, but had another good look, and tried the registry change (no difference) - but spotted something I missed previously...

• The slideshow preview is blank when auto-hide taskbar is on.

I'd suspected the issue I was having was related to some 'full screen' quirks - and so (after a couple of attempts to get the 'auto hide taskbar' option to stick in the 'off' position (i.e. - taskbar always visible) - I retried a slide show, and it worked just fine.

This is obviously inconvenient, as the Surface has a realtively small screen, and real-estate is valuable - hence usually having auto-hide taskbar 'on'. 

So - my deduction here is that for one or more of the following scenarios:

• User uses Surface Pro 4
  • User uses Windows 10
  • User has auto-hide taskbar switched on

this behaviour will occur, and none of the workarounds listed will fix the issue.  The only 'fixes' are:

• Force auto-hide taskbar OFF
  • Manually move or resize the Organizer window when previewing a slideshow - to 'force' the application to NOT be full screen

This smells like a bug to me - which feels like one of those 'in the middle' ones - as The Surface has a funky graphics card/scaling stuff going on, and the OS can be quirky with the taskbar - HOWEVER - this stuff works fine in PE 15 - so feels like PE16 doesn't cope well with certain hardware/OS/option combinations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VERY VERY nice solution.  It does seem like this could be fixed on a version release if PSE staff are listening to these comments.  One of their pages suggests a registry edit (with poor instructions, I might add) - with the potential disaster looming if the registry is corrupted ---BAD IDEA, Photoshop !!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10, Photoshop Elements 2019, same issue. Slideshow is incompatible with autohide taskbar. Why is this so hard to fix Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for posting.  I have Photoshop Elements Organizer 2020 and changing the auto-hide toolbar setting to disabled worked for me on Windows 10.  Really thought a fix like this would have been included by now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the same on a windows 10 desktop, and it resolved the issue.  The auto hide on the taskbar caused the slideshow to be black during playback.  I agree with the above poster that is seems pretty easy of a fix, and while I recognize the complications of machines, drivers, OS, etc., it seems to be fixable enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines