• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How does Elements Organizer save files?

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Photo Editor, I have used File:Open, made a few image enhancements, and am ready to save the file. If I don't expect to make further changes, I use Save As and add a character to the filename to identify it from the original, and leave the folder and file type unchanged. I have left the 'Include in Elements Organizer' checked. Does that create the new file with a different name in the same folder where the original was opened PLUS an Organizer file? (Or just the edited file?) On the same note, when I Import files into the Organizer, does that actually create a new file, or just a reference link that Organizer uses it if I choose to re-open it from the Organizer, rather than from the Pictures folder? If I know I want to come back to the file for further editing, I should save the file as a PSD type - correct? That goes back to the folder from where it was opened (if I didn't change the location) - correct? If all the preceding presumptions are correct and I don't import anything new to the Organizer, are the only files in the organizer the ones I have edited (which would be a mix of JPGs and PSDs, depending on how I saved them)?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Organizer simply references the files on your hard drive or connected external hard drive, so your understanding is correct. Saving a PSD is useful if you wish to preserve layers, styles or text. When you import you are not creating a new or duplicate file. You are telling Organizer to manage those files so in future if you move anything, do it from within Organizer otherwise you end up breaking the links.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If all the preceding presumptions are correct and I don't import anything new to the Organizer, are the only files in the organizer the ones I have edited (which would be a mix of JPGs and PSDs, depending on how I saved them)?

Just to be clear, if you do a Save As (in any format), and check the Include in Organizer box, both the original file and the edited file will appear in the Organizer.  You may want to also check the Save in Version Set box.  This will place your edited file on top of the original in a stack.  You can open the stack at a later time and continue editing either the original or the edited copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines