• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In Photoshop Elements - How can I change the default to save as a jpg & not keep psd

Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop Elements - How can I change the default to save as a jpg & to not keep a psd file unless I specifically request it? Please give very specific answer. This problem is wasting an enormous amount of my time. Thank you.

Moved from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to the correct forum... Mod
To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open a JPEG image in the Elements Editor and don't create any more layers (apart from the default Background layer which is created for you), then you will be able to Save or Save As the image as a JPEG by default. This would be the case when you do something simple, like Enhance > Auto Smart Fix.

However, as soon as you create an additional layer, then the Elements Editor will default to saving the image as a Photoshop PSD, as JPEG images don't support multiple layers.

When you're working with images which contain multiple layers it's always a good idea to save the image as a Photoshop PSD so you can open up the image again and change each individual layer (maybe edit the text, change the settings of an Adjustment Layer, or change the order of the layers). Otherwise, you would have to create the image all over again.

In addition, saving the image as a JPEG means the image will be compressed each time you save it. This means that the file size will get smaller as the image quality starts to deteriorate.

If you want to save a JPEG version, say for sharing on the Web or via email, then you can do that as well as saving it as a Photoshop PSD. If you use the Elements Organizer to manage your images, there is the Version Sets feature, which allows you to keep multiple versions of the same image all together, for example, the original photo, the edited PSD, and the JPEG version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but the information you sent is not responsive to my query. I should clarify that my query was solely about images which do not have any layers added. Yes, I know I can "select" save as to jpg  --- but that is not my question.

Typical scenario:

I open Photoshop Elements

I go New -- and paste in a screenshot

I (immediately, without any editing) go save as -- and I MUST manually select jpg or it DEFAULTS to a psd file.

OK, but then I can't close the file or close the program with out answering the pop-up -- "Do you want to save...psd?' The answer is always NO, BECAUSE I ALREADY SAVED IT AS A JPG which is what I want. This extra step causes me wasted time. ***THAT is the little problem I"m writing about.***

For my usage, I want to save as psd as an EXCEPTION not as a default.

I am working with images with no added layers and I simply want to change the default to save as a jpg, end of story.I am not asking how to save as a jpg when it is not the default. I want to be able to simply close the file after saving to a jpg without any additional queries from the system.

The current defaults assume that there is still something left to be done after I already saved it as a jpg, and sends me questions to answer,  because the default is a psd.

I hope this clarifies my question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification 🙂

In the use case that you're describing, what you're actually doing when you choose File > New > Image from Clipboard is creating a new Photoshop document, not a new JPEG image. The fact that the clipboard contains a JPEG image is irrelevant... it could be any type of image that Elements supports. That's why when you come to save the image Elements naturally assumes you want to save it in the Photoshop PSD format.

I'm assuming you're using Windows 10. If that's the case, why not take the screenshots with Microsoft's Snip & Sketch app? Snip & Sketch automatically captures the screen in the JPEG format, so all you have to do is click the Save icon and the app will have already chosen JPG in the Save as type field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I'll try that! I wasn't aware of that App.

I do realize that Adobe Photoshop (even the Elements version) is way overkill for such a simple operation. Sometimes I need to crop it a bit, but your point is valid, that this is not the best app for this particular need.

These days, during the pandemic, our entire life is on Zoom - so I find myself making screen shots really often -- not to mention business needs from time to time (pretty often).

Glad to learn something new. Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I see to resolve your problem is to simply close the file rather than doing a save as or save.  You will be asked whether you want to save the file and when you respond yes, the Save As dialog will open.  Once you save the file as a jpg, the psd version will no longer be open and you will not have to do anything further with that file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, that's a good idea too! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines