• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photo fragments when I change date or add note

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn' t happen all the time and have had tech help but they are a joke! Last guy left never said anything after I asked for a manager. I still have my Elements 11 on my computer and it doesn't have a problem changing dates of the same photo! I purchase my last Adobe product if this is the tech support I get! He claims its a microsoft issue but how does the old elements work and the new one doesn't ????

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a lot of discussions here on what causes a photo "break" or sometimes introduces a colored line streak in the photo. General consensus is that it is in the way the Organizer interprets the metadata or Exif info. Fortunately this error is ONLY apparent in Photoshop Elements. It has been around sporadically for a very long time. As you observed other software may have no issues at all. Quite frankly, 99.9% of the time in my case opening the photo in Editor, doing a smart fix, then undoing the smart fix, then re saving the photo fixes it in the Organizer as well.

I also hold out no hope that it will ever be fixed, hence the work around. Organizer is pretty good, but far from perfect.

If you search the message base you will see other issues. For me particularly annoying is that the date stamp seems to be affected by time zone changes and daylight saving time changes when photo is edited. Hence a series of photos taken at the same time, may now be spread out with many photos separating them when edited. Considering that Organizers's primary sort is by time, if you take a lot of photos, this could be a chore to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for you comments, at least I know its not my computer on Microsoft problem. It sounds to me that it is an Adobe problem since on the elements 11 it was never an issue for me! Now on 18 its all the time no way could I do what you saying you do for all the photo's I add notes too or change dates too. I believe that I will go back to using 11 and hope it continues to work properly as it has in the past! To me this is just bullshit from the Adobe company when you go to their on line support! What a bunch of lies their feeding me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cz35895897  wrote

There are a lot of discussions here on what causes a photo "break" or sometimes introduces a colored line streak in the photo. General consensus is that it is in the way the Organizer interprets the metadata or Exif info. Fortunately this error is ONLY apparent

I beg to differ.

The general consensus is that such display anomalies are linked with display drivers.

Fortunately this error is ONLY apparent in Photoshop Elements.

It may be easy to spot a display problem in Elements, but you can never know or prove if the same issue appears in no other software. What is common is the refusal from Elements (or Photoshop, Lightroom and other pro softwares) to display certain images on account of exif interpretation differences. Most other available tools for amateurs simply ignore the problem, which make people believe not other software has the issue.

If you are wondering if Elements has a lot of issues with exif data, take the time to look at the Lightroom forum or at the feedback forum, where experts like John R Ellis give advice and explanations. There are many more complaints with Lightroom which is probably the less buggy DAM manager around! Especially for dates, where many manufacturers and even Apple are known to use non standard exif features.

On the other hand, I don't know what the OP means in the title of his post:

"photo fragments"

More details are absolutely required to start with: is it a display problem or an exif and metadata problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MichelBParis  wrote

cz35895897   wrote

There are a lot of discussions here on what causes a photo "break" or sometimes introduces a colored line streak in the photo. General consensus is that it is in the way the Organizer interprets the metadata or Exif info. Fortunately this error is ONLY apparent

I beg to differ.

The general consensus is that such display anomalies are linked with display drivers.

If you recall a while back (December thru January timrframe) video drivers were suggested as problematic ( I also posted some "photo fragments" and streaked photos" for one of the ACP's/Adobe people and other than thanks, I never heard back), then one other person had issues (unrelated to fragments) and was told to disable the Nvidia device driver (which worked for flipping between search and grid screens). Thinking this ludicrous that one of the most common video card hardware and "unified" drivers was the cause of the problem I ran an experiment. I removed the Nvidia card and reverted back to the Intel Onboard  video. The same issues of "fragmented" icon appeared in Organizer as before. So much for that.

Then we had another industrious individual who interactively changed the Exif data back and forth (and posted before and after results for everyone to try) with the same video driver showing that it was something in the metadata that was causing the issues.

Hence:

1. My own experiment cleared the driver as a culprit (or both Intel and Nvidia are non compatible)

2. Adobe's own Elements Editor does not have this issue 99.99% of the time

3. Other users posted good examples of where just changing the metadata makes the picture unviewable

4. The more I muck about with tags, dates or faces in Organizer the more likely I am to get the "broken" icon. A mock save in Editor cures it, all while using the same video driver.

So my vote is Exif/metadata Organizer issue vs Video Driver, but I am open to any experiments that show video driver as the cause.

PS As you point out all this may be moot if this is not what the OP meant as "photo fragments"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cz35895897  wrote

PS As you point out all this may be moot if this is not what the OP meant as "photo fragments"

I thought about fragments in the display of the files themselves, not in the thumnail. Now I understand your point.

The problem with troubleshooting failures to open a file (generally jpeg) due to metadata discrepancies is that there is the easy solution is to remove all metadata. That does not tell us the precise differences which depend mostly on the source of the files.

My suggestion would be to implement a different test procedure in the organizer when you try to open such a file with broken thumbnail. This could be a dialog like "This file format is not recognized. Do you want to try to create a copy without the metadata?" If yes, a version set would be created and tested.

3. Other users posted good examples of where just changing the metadata makes the picture unviewable

4. The more I muck about with tags, dates or faces in Organizer the more likely I am to get the "broken" icon. A mock save in Editor cures it, all while using the same video driver.

That's a different kind of problem. The suspected bug must be reapeatable. That' where a forum like this one may help to narrow the search to given conditions. Where a forum does not help is when users repeat 'me too' for totally different issues. Collaboration between many users often brings fast and precise feedback so that the issue becomes repeatable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

MichelBParis  wrote

cz35895897   wrote

My suggestion would be to implement a different test procedure in the organizer when you try to open such a file with broken thumbnail. This could be a dialog like "This file format is not recognized. Do you want to try to create a copy without the metadata?" If yes, a version set would be created and tested.

That's a different kind of problem. The suspected bug must be reapeatable. That' where a forum like this one may help to narrow the search to given conditions. Where a forum does not help is when users repeat 'me too' for totally different issues. Collaboration between many users often brings fast and precise feedback so that the issue becomes repeatable.

I finally found that relevant metadata message, Broken Thumbnails in PSE Organizer 2018 (16.0.0.0) / Workaround included!

That is as close as we got to collaboration, I wish more people would participate. I was able to duplicate his issue quite easily. As a followup to his quick Organizer only workaround; rotating the thumbnail will fix the thumbnail, but the photo will still not open in Organizer. However is you right click update the thumbnail, the photo will then look right in the preview AND open up in the Organizer full screen.

EXCELLENT suggestion

"This file format is not recognized. Do you want to try to create a copy without the metadata?" If yes, a version set would be created and tested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines