Highlighted

PS ELEMENTS - problem with the file-format module interface

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo,

I have searched the faQs on the issue described in the title yet there is nothing on Adobe Photoshop Elements.

There is an entry on altering registry keys however it refers to Photoshop CC.

I received a couple of panorama files which were created with Light Room. When I open a file, the screen "Camera RAW 11.1 jpg"  appears. I can see the image, however when I click "open image", there is: "Could not complete your request because of a problem with the file-format module interface".

I've tried the trick with opening the file with the paint and saving it again as .jpg, yet the paint does not open the file, either.

Please, provide help or indicate a link to the solution if I've overlooked it.

I'm using PSE 19 on Win7 64bit.

16 GB Memory.

Waldek

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Jeff Arola | Adobe Community Professional

You can reduce the size of the pano using the dng converter and then pse 2019 should open it.

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Macintosh : Adobe DNG Converter 11.2

The image will be quite a bit smaller, but at least you'll be able to open it.

rd.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

PS ELEMENTS - problem with the file-format module interface

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo,

I have searched the faQs on the issue described in the title yet there is nothing on Adobe Photoshop Elements.

There is an entry on altering registry keys however it refers to Photoshop CC.

I received a couple of panorama files which were created with Light Room. When I open a file, the screen "Camera RAW 11.1 jpg"  appears. I can see the image, however when I click "open image", there is: "Could not complete your request because of a problem with the file-format module interface".

I've tried the trick with opening the file with the paint and saving it again as .jpg, yet the paint does not open the file, either.

Please, provide help or indicate a link to the solution if I've overlooked it.

I'm using PSE 19 on Win7 64bit.

16 GB Memory.

Waldek

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Jeff Arola | Adobe Community Professional

You can reduce the size of the pano using the dng converter and then pse 2019 should open it.

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Macintosh : Adobe DNG Converter 11.2

rd.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 30, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you click the open image button ensure the mode is set to 8 bits/channel and not 16

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

99jon thanks for your response

The 8 bits per channel is a setting by default.

As I mentioned, I came across [in FAQs] a solution based on changing an entry in the registery (PS)

May one has a hint on how to add a lacking/missing (?) entry in the registry?

I can't even understand what is actually wrong, what is missing or erroneous with the file. Is it actually the file or the PSE 2019?

Why am I unable to open the file with paint?

I'm currently using a trial version. My previous, 14, did not encounter this problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The facts are:

1. I am able to open a single camera RAW picture (CR2).

2. I am unable to open a panorama with the layers - Camera Raw window returns: "could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document"

3. I am unable to open a flattened panorama with an extension .jpg

4. Why, when I open a flattened panorama, it is to be opened in Camera RAW?

Waldek

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you did not create the panorama file from Lightroom yourself?

I would not expect Elements to be able to open such panoramas created in Lightroom from multiple exposures.

It seems that you are trying to open jpegs in PSE and that PSE automatically opens the ACR module? Or do you try to open DNG panorama files?

What are the dimensions in pixels of the file?

When PSE automatically opens a jpeg in ACR, that means that the file has already been edited non-destructively in ACR / Lightroom and that the parametric edits have been written in the metadata header of the file. A tag is saved with the file so that next time you want to open the file in PSE, the edits are recognized which opens the ACR module;  then the edits are automatically applied. There is no way to tell PSE NOT to open in ACR,  ignoring the edits. (You would have to open the file in a non Adobe editor which would ignore the metadata and resave it).

I don't know how LR stores the resulting panorama, so I would advise to ask in the Lightroom forum how to export ​the resulting panorama in a photo format without the parametric editing. Otherwise, did you try to open the jpegs in a non Adobe editor?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2019 1
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that the file name is correct e.g. that the extension is .jpg and does not contain ,more than one period (full-stop)

If not, try to re-name or re-save.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/kb/error-invalid-jpeg-marker-displays.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

Thank you for reply.

1. I didn't create the panorama file - it was done by someone else who used Adobe LightRoom and Photoshop.

2. The original pictures, which made up a panorama, are 5472 px X 3648 px at 300 dpi (PSE EXIF) CR2

3. The panorama file (an example) is 36850 px X 7602 px at 72 dpi and a 24 bit colour depth. TIF file. 722 MB,  Adobe CC - these are all Windows Properties' EXIF info. (I have 16 GB RAM and an SSD - I can handle very large files).

4. You are right (line #4), however if I try to open an unflattened panorama file with "Open" or with "Open in Camera Raw"  the same message appears: "could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document"

5. If I try to open a flattened panarama with a jpeg extension, I receive: "Could not complete your request because of a problem with the file-format module interface".

6. I can see a thumbnail of the panorama pic with Windows preview.

7. If I click a plattened panorama file the Camera Raw window opens (you call it ACR?)

8. The answer to your question if the PSE automatically opens the ACR module is "yes" and "no": if I  open a panorama file saved as layers, the message about "the kind of document" pops up, and if I intend to open a flattened file - the ACR opens, I can save the file with PNG, but I am unable to open both - the saved PNG and the original JPEG before saving as PNG.

9. I tried to open the panorama with Windows paint.

I have completey understood your explanation for which, please, accept my sincere and deep appreciation.

Before asking the guys from the LR forum, I'll ask a friend to open my file with a PS full version and save the with 8 bits per channel. 

Michael, VERRY many thanks for your help,

Waldek, Warsaw, Poland

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

99Jon

I double checked file names.

Adobe is telling me: "Buy the full version of PS if you request complete functionality"

Waldek

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2019 0
Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I am pretty sure there is a limitation in the ACR version of Elements for the size in pixels, and that is critical for panoramas. I'll try to find some reference about it...

Thanks for all the details and keeping us informed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2019 0
Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The maximum size for the PSE Editor is described here.  I can't imagine that ACR would allow a higher number.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2019 2
Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg_S.  wrote

The maximum size for the PSE Editor is described here.  I can't imagine that ACR would allow a higher number.

I agree, the limit may be 30 000 pixels on the long side, even if it seems to be 60 000 in Photoshop:

Camera Raw: File Size Limitation | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2019 1
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The originator could export another jpeg from Lightroom resized with the long edge below 30,000px

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The originator can't have in their mind all specs and limitations of the PSE.

IMO, Adobe should in my case provide a hit the nail on the head info: "The maximum file size you can open with PSE is 30000 px by 30000 px at 72 dpi". Dot. Full-stop (period)

I guess, iMac would reply to me using my human language rather than the one of the programmer's.

Waldek

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

99jon

Thank you very much for your valuable help.

Waldek

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2019 0
Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rd.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2019 2
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

I hope it works. Your link directs to a Macintosh DNG Converter. I use a Dell Latitude PC.

Thanks

Waldek

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2019 0
Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2019 0