• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE 2018 problem with Background Eraser

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use the background eraser tool my it is accompanied by a series of flashing B/W dots - I find this most distracting and makes it difficult to use when cutting out the background of an object for removal.

I have used PSE from about version 2 or 3 and never had this problems before.

Welcome any advice.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Try this:

In Editor, go to the expert tab.

1. Open picture B, the one you posted above.
  2. Use one of the selection tools, e.g. selection brush, lasso tool, to select the flowers. You will see an outline ("marching ants") once the selection is complete
  3. Go to Edit menu>copy to copy the selection to the clipboard
  4. Open picture A with your replacement background,  then go to Edit>paste
  5. Use the move tool to position object from picture B.
  6. In the layers palette you should see picture A as the background layer, and

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there no-one in Adobe who can help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not speaking to Adobe here. You are in a user to user forum, not in an Adobe chat sesssion, so expecting an answer in less than one minute is a bit optimistic.

It will be problematic to answer your question for two reasons:

- we don't know anything about your situation

FAQ: What information should I provide when posting, or What do you need to know to solve my issue?

- Using the background eraser is probably never used by advanced users. What are you trying to do?  My guess is that there may be better workflows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the clarification in respect of the user to user forum  - please accept my apologies for confusing it as an Adobe help facility.

Although I have used PSE for many years I would not describe myself as an advanced user – my process, on this occasion, was the placing of a photo in another photo and removing the majority of the background.

When I use the background eraser tool and commence erasing at each point of contact there is a circle of B/W dots and I find this really irritating as it obscures my line of sight on the parts I wish to erase.

I have never experienced this problem in all previous versions of PSE.

Many thanks for your response and I would be pleased if there is an answer able to be provided by one of the community users.

Bill Connor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It mat be easier to use the quick selection tool to outline the object. Then press ctrl+j to create a new layer. Turn off the background layer by clicking the eyeball icon. Your object will be on a transparent layer and you can place any photo or solid Color below it.

The background eraser needs to keep the plus icon of the cursor entirely on the color to be erased.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are they three little dots that replace the regular cursor?

Are you able to provide a screenshot or short screen recording video that shows what your seeing?

What operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff

Please find attached a photo showing the problem. I was not able to insert a video as I use none of the transfer sites referred to.IMG_0735.JPG

I I am on an imac 27inch late 2014  - OS Mohave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

In Editor, go to the expert tab.

1. Open picture B, the one you posted above.
  2. Use one of the selection tools, e.g. selection brush, lasso tool, to select the flowers. You will see an outline ("marching ants") once the selection is complete
  3. Go to Edit menu>copy to copy the selection to the clipboard
  4. Open picture A with your replacement background,  then go to Edit>paste
  5. Use the move tool to position object from picture B.
  6. In the layers palette you should see picture A as the background layer, and object B on a separate layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply hatstead.

I previously have been using the following method:

Opening 2 images in PSE and then opening the background image and placing the second photo within the image - then using the  free transform  feature and using the eraser to remove parts of the second image I do not want.

I appreciate that for advanced users this will be seen as a down and dirty fix but I have never mastered the use of layers.

I have bought Rick Petersen's tutorial on using layers and do intend when other priorities permit to give this a viewing and hopefully some practice so I can do what the big boys do lol!

I have not been too skilful in using the selection tools in the past but I will try your suggested method.

Many thanks for your input to my query.

I would still like to know why I am getting the spinning B/W dots which follow me around like a swarm of wasps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You 're welcome. Glad to help. We look forward to your progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the solution here about adding photoshop to Accessibility.

Of course you will substitute photoshop elements 14 and point to the Adobe Photoshop Elements Editor.app in

/Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 14/Support Files

Known issues - Running Photoshop CC on macOS 10.14 Mojave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff

Thanks for that workaround - unfortunately it did not work on Photoshop Elements - looks like it only applies to Photoshop itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HI Jeff

Tried the procedure and, I don't know how, but it worked this time - amazing - no more annoying dots following the eraser around.

Thank you for your help it is much appreciated.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines