• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resize Photo Collage - Photoshop Elements 2019

New Here ,
Dec 30, 2018 Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read every line of this help area. It does not show you how to change the size of the collage. The auto collage comes up in 6 by 4 automatically which is rather small and useless if you are going to print a collage. In PSE 2018 the first thing it asked was what size project are you trying to create. When I allow PSE 2019 to create the collage - it does fine except with the size. When I try to save it and then print in say 8x10 or 11x14 - it cuts off the collage to stuff it in the frame or if you chose to "fit to frame" it leaves uneven white spaces around the collage.

Please advise how to size the collage before trying to print it. I am an avid scrapbooker and photo gift maker and so far I am very frustrated with this product.

Aleta Hart -

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2018 Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cltphoto24  wrote

Please advise how to size the collage before trying to print it. I am an avid scrapbooker and photo gift maker and so far I am very frustrated with this product.

Aleta Hart -

If you are doing a lot of collages, you'll be much happier if you don't use the guided mode and invest some time in mastering the expert mode and layers. I do many photo books, which may mean a hundred collages for a single book.

- It's faster

- it's totally flexible

- you can have more options

- you have your own style

- you can save as a project, but it's simpler to save a .psd or .tiff version to be able to reedit any time

Since you are doing scrapbooking, I am sure that you master layers and layer styles, so why not try it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To follow up on MichelBParis's post, I answered an inquiry a few years back. This may be helpful for your purpose.

collage templates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible to save one of the auto-creations as a PSD file as well as a project file. Then manipulate the photo layers and clipping masks after resizing the canvas to your preferred dimensions. Or simply create your own collage manually. I have another YouTube video tutorial which may be useful.

https://youtu.be/MM1Ey3T3o0Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now made a companion video to demonstrate how you can use the built-in templates as a starting point before resizing.

Click on the YouTube link to be the first to view it.

https://youtu.be/SVMxuo-ixeo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have followed the instructions for resizing the collage, but get stuck in using the move tool to resize the mask or the photo.  My move tool simply moves the photo instead of anchoring to the corner to drag it to a biger size.  Please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some things have changed in recent updates. What version of PSE do you have installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSE 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try moving a group layer. I will repeat my previous instructions. It is possible to re-size although it requires some user manipulation of the layers in advanced mode. I’ve never done A3 but have scaled up to 8 x 10. You can also create your own document size and place photos manually although you don’t  get the benefit of the interactive templates. See if any of my YouTube videos help.

How to Make Collages

https://youtu.be/Yx0wgWSPTfE

Resize Collage Templates

https://youtu.be/SVMxuo-ixeo

Manual Collage

https://youtu.be/MM1Ey3T3o0Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.  I am following the instructions on this video https://youtu.be/SVMxuo-ixeo.  Where I run into problems is at 4'30" into the video.  When I click the move tool it does not expand the mask as the video shows.  Instead it moves the photo.  I am quite sure I am doing something wrong, but do not know how to solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have figured this out.  Instead of using the move tool, I clicked Immage/transform/free transform.  That allows the expansion.  Am I on the right track?  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Make sure you have the correct layer selected in the right-hand panel. Or select a layer group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all your help on this.  I successfully resized a collage.  Now I want to bug your further.  The automatic collage feature has some cool backgrounds.  Is there a way to apply those to the resized collage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it should be possible. Make sure you have the background layer selected (highlighted) in the layers panel then click the + icon at the bottom to switch to graphics and choose backgrounds from the top pull-down menu. Double-click on any background thumbnail. The ones with a blue corner icon will need to download.  See image below.

Graphics.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did not work for me, but this did.  Create collage using the automatic feature per your instructions.  Choose a background from the graphics and apply it.  Save as a PSD file.  Close and reopen the file.  Resize the canvas per your instructions.  Highlight the layer called background.  Click immage/transform/free transform.  Drag the handles of the background until the background covers all the 8X10 area.  Save.

I want to thank you for all the help you have been to me.  I learned a lot watching the videos you provided.  Before that I had no clue as to what a layer was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I am curious about something that came up in your video.  What is the diffwerence between a PSE file and a PSD file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSE is Adobe’s project file which normally appears in the Organizer. Project files are created for the standard collage creations, greeting cards, photo books etc. PSD is a file format in its own right. Like tiff, the layers can be saved but tiff files are normally huge. The PSD format is a more efficient container.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines