• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where to restore files from a back up.

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new computer and wait to restore my back up of Photoshop 6.0.  My previous computer c drive was 1 tb.  My new laptop: C Drive is 256 SSD and the D Drive is 1 tb.  I have moved all data files (Pictures, Documents, Videos, Downloads, ect.) to the data drive.  Programs are installed on the C drive. My goal is to keep the C drive as clean as possible.

Where should I restore the back up to?   I have 191 GB of photos.  They are stored on the D drive,  I am not sure what the size of the photoshop files will be when restored.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Thank you for your assistance.

J

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Farley1967  wrote

I have a new computer and wait to restore my back up of Photoshop 6.0.  My previous computer c drive was 1 tb.  My new laptop: C Drive is 256 SSD and the D Drive is 1 tb.  I have moved all data files (Pictures, Documents, Videos, Downloads, ect.) to the data drive.  Programs are installed on the C drive. My goal is to keep the C drive as clean as possible.

Where should I restore the back up to?   I have 191 GB of photos.  They are stored on the D drive,  I am not sure what the s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Farley1967  wrote

Where should I restore the back up to?   I have 191 GB of photos.  They are stored on the D drive,  I am not sure what the size of the photoshop files will be when restored.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Thank you for your assistance.

J

The restore process from your backup restores both the catalog folder and your photo files folders tree. You did need to to move or copy that folder tree yourself; that only results on creating duplicate files or on overwriting the already  copied/moved photo files.

It's easier and safer to create a new master folder as the destination on your D: drive.

Your D: drive is big enough.

When you restore to that master folder, you'll get both your complete image folder tree and a separate folder with your catalog.

To use the restored catalog, browse to its location in the catalog manager or simply double click on the catalog.pse6.db; that will open the organizer with the restored catalog.

Check that everything works as expected.

Now, to save space, you can delete the duplicate image folder trees on C: and D:

The catalog folder is shown as in 'custom' location on D:

You can delete the old catalog on C: from the catalog manager or delete its folder from the Windows explorer.

Just a suggestion:

It's your choice to keep the catalog on D: after the restore, or to use the catalog manager to move it to the default location (accessible for all users) on C:

- on D: frees more space on C:

- on C: does not take up much space and is supposed to be faster.

You can try both solutions to see which is best for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines