M: Photoshop Mobile: Ability to import raw files

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have installed the first version version of Photoshop on my iPad Pro.

The first time i try to open a raw file, i get an error message saying that this type of file is not supported.

Up to now i use Affinity Photo and i have no problem with raw files.

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 11, 2019
Pattie-F Adobe Employee , Nov 11, 2019
In version 1.0, supported file formats for placing photos in Photoshop are - PSD, PSB, TIFF, JPG, and PNG. Raw file import is not currently supported.   Thank you for letting us know what features are most important to you. You can add your vote for this feature here: RAW support for Photoshop on the iPad   You can add and vote for additional features here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop_mobile

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Photoshop on the iPad is available with the limited features, you can add your vote to the following feedback link so that our product team can review your feedback: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-for-ipad-can-t-import-normal-nikon-...

Thanks.

Mohit

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed last night after launch, attempted to import CR2 to photoshop' on ipad, for each attempted import, error message cannot import on ipad  'Filename...' cannot be imported, red flag

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Welcome to the Adobe Community!

Raw file import is not supported on Photoshop fo iPad as of now. You may suggtest this feature here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop_mobile

This forum is directly monitored by our developer, they might look into it for future updates.

Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For real?  Existing Lightroom on iPad supports raw import - what's the rationale for a lesser feature (ability for drawing not photo editing?)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I hate to see anyone else run into this problem it's kind of reassuring it's not just me. Fuji's RAF files receive delayed support usually so I didn't think much of it but if you can't import Canon files then maybe there's hope. Certainly that's too big a usergroup to not garner eventual support. 

I did find that converting to DNG seemed to work to get images into Photoshop, if that's any help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you able to convert it to DNG on the iPad?  Astonished I can't open camera RAW directly in Photoshop for iPad. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, no. I had my laptop handy and just did it there (which, of course, defeats the purpose of a mobile workflow solution). 

I have to assume that Adobe is more than well aware of this (and so many other glaring omissions/bugs) because they've grown extremely quiet over the last few hours aside from the posts where they've had to move new posts and comments to this forum. I assume they'll be in triage mode for a while. 

It does seem odd though, doesn't it? The state of this release? What is Photoshop without Camera Raw, functional layer masks and curves adjustments? It's Snapseed with a monthly subscription. 

Good luck to them. In 48 hours I'm afraid these forums will be a dumpster fire.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ouch

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom for iPad handles RAW so it's very odd that not be available on Photoshop for iPad.  I can't even shuttle a RAW import in Lightroom for iPad to Photoshop for iPad, nor can I export it as a DNG or TIFF then import it.  Right now I can only export a RAW as a JPG from Lightroom ipad then bring that into Photoshop for iPad which is a huge demerit.  Hopefully it will be added soon as it completely undermines the brand.  Also the creative cloud drive isn't even viewable from Photoshop iPad it's using a completely different platform, Cloud Documents.  All very strange for Adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed.

I will mention, though, that I just got the newest Photoshop (2020) installed on my Mac and there are some things that give me hope.

If you aren't in a place to load it up yet, the Home screen looks almost exactly like the Home screen on iPad but under the "Your Work" section, where (my) iPad shows Cloud Documents and Deleted, the desktop version shows Lightroom Photos, Cloud Documents, and Deleted. 

I'm going to hope that's a good sign.

Also, the new Object Selection Tool is ridiculously cool. Doesn't help us with mobile, but at least it assures me that there are still teams at Adobe that know what's up. Here's to hoping.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting.  I tried importing a DNG file (Pentax RAW) and got an unsupported file format error message...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new PS does not import uncompressed Fujifilm RAWs from IPad Pro : Wrong Format! ???

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've moved your post to the Photoshop for Mobile forum

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed the same thing but it's not just us; there's a Canon user who has reported the same issue with their CR2 files. Adobe says Raw files aren't supported...

I did find that converting to DNG allowed me to import them but that's not a step I want to have to add to my workflow so hopefully support is added soon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The two things that are most important to most pro photographers are RAW and having the ability to control export size. Having the ability to control the size like 800x600 or any other size is very important when shooting for different clients. PLEASE ADD THOSE your customers will be trembly happy

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, if you're listening, you've gotta fix this. I can't read any RAW files directly in Photoshop for iPad AND the file structure/workflow is a hot mess.

I naively assumed I could ditch my laptop in the field and replace it with my iPad + Photoshop Mobile. I assumed that I could roughly simulate a typical workflow albeit under iOS's already tricky file structure. But currently, I cannot do any of that. I'm thoroughly confused and disappointed.

Do you want me to edit my RAWs in Lightroom Mobile first then open them in Photoshop? I can't really tell because there's no clear path. So it looks like I'm still lugging my laptop around for now.

To be fair, once I've imported my RAW file as a PSD file (via my Mac), Photoshop for iPad works as expected and the output appears completely faithful to that of my Mac.

Anyway, the fundamental act of being able to open a RAW file directly in photoshop should have shipped in this first version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vote for RAW file compatibility in Photoshop Mobile for iOS, here:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/without-raw-support-this-is-worthless-to-me

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In version 1.0, supported file formats for placing photos in Photoshop are - PSD, PSB, TIFF, JPG, and PNG. Raw file import is not currently supported.

Thank you for letting us know what features are most important to you. You can add your vote for this feature here: RAW support for Photoshop on the iPad

You can add and vote for additional features here:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop_mobile

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was surprised to get an error stating DNG files were not supported in Photoshop for iPad.  That seems too big a deal to be accurate.  Do I need to install another app?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS for Mobile supports only a variety of PSD file. Here's how to get a photo from your desktop machine into PS Mobile: Go to the desktop machine, open the file in Photoshop CC 2020, and Save As… to cloud documents. Now you may edit the photo in PS Mobile. It auto-saves back into the document cloud (which is not part of Creative Cloud). If you want to move the edited file into Lr Classic, open the file from the document cloud in PS CC on the desktop. Save to local disk, then import into Lr Classic. Or you may download the file from your document cloud files to your desktop machine by logging in at assets.adobe.com.

This is, of course insane. PS CC on the desktop needs to be out of the loop. PS Mobile needs to be able to browse one's Lr Classic files from a remote location by filename or keyword, download to PS for Mobile for editing, then re-write them back into Lr Classic. Otherwise, to have one's Lightroom photos available on the road one might as well just carry a MacBook Pro and leave the iPad at home, in which case one doesn't need PS Mobile at all. Or—and this may be what it’s really about—pay a small fortune for sufficient cloud space to hold your Lr Classic collection at full-resolution in Adobe Lightroom (the cloud version).

Even then, as it stands, one wouldn't be finished. PS Mobile can't access Lr Mobile files. Save the full-res file to the iPadOS Photos App and then import to Photoshop for Mobile.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks much, David. I just deleted PS from my iPad. This is not at all what I had in mind when I purchased the iPad because it would "soon" accommodate "Real" PS. Not even close to my needs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is "Real Photoshop for the iPad"?  Not even close.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I doing something wrong or are .dng raw file not supported on the iPad Pro yet?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines