• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Update to Photoshop CC 2017 I can no longer set open files to Default Program

Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2016 Nov 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened with the last major update Adobe did if my notes are correct (and since they are note and not memory I'm certain they are).

IMMEDIATELY upon upgrading to the 2017 version of Photoshop CC I tried to associate my .jpg files to open (by default) with Photoshop CC 2017.  And, just like last time, the program does NOT even appear.  Now... if I want to associate the same files with Lightroom it shows up.  What gives?  Is it TOO much to ask that you add a bit of code (or a LOT of code) so that these links aren't so difficult to reassociate with?  BTW, when I tried to associate my .PSD files with Photoshop CC 2017 guess what??  I COULD do that!  So the program IS showing up 'sometimes' and is NOT showing up at others???

I'm a photographer and I've faithfully used your product for quite some time... I even teach basic Photoshop Classes.  So, when I go into class next week I'll GUARANTEE one of the FIRST questions I'm going to get is: "Mr. Lonnie, how do I set my .jpg files to automatically open-up in Photoshop?"

I HATE having to tell them, "Well, students... here's the problem.  Adobe, which is a MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR company just put out ANOTHER upgrade without making certain that all the glitches are out of it.  But, don't worry about it... I'm quite certain that the people who work with Adobe wouldn't mind if they took their car into the dealer for an upgrade to their stereo system and when it was returned the gas gauge no longer worked.  In other words, just don't sweat it.  Sure, it's a hassle but HEY -- it looks really snazzy what with the person standing and looking contemplatively into an ice cavern -- or whatever that is."

What I'm trying to say is: HELP!!!!

I've read through EVERY 'help' suggestion in the forum and tried them all.  NOTHING has worked so PLEASE do NOT refer me back to them or suggest the same.

Lonnie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Hi Lonnie,

Rename Photoshop.exe to OldPhotoshop.exe and then try to set Photoshop as the default program.

Other solution which is more permanent requires changes in registries, so i would recommend to perform a backup of registry.

I cannot associate files with Adobe Photoshop CC

Regards,

Gautam

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

use your context menu > select open with.. > and navigate to the default app you want to use.  tick the 'always use this app to open this file type' option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kglad! 

I'm running the 64 bit version of Windows 7 and I've used Photoshop for YEARS.

I SO appreciate you help but, it seems that you failed to read the very last comment on my initial post which was:

"I've read through EVERY 'help' suggestion in the forum and tried them all.  NOTHING has worked so PLEASE do NOT refer me back to them or suggest the same."

So, I went ahead and did every step you suggested BUT this time I took the time (time I'd rather have not wasted) to document the steps I took.  Please look at the steps and tell me what I did incorrect?  I have also attempted to edit the Registry and EVERY OTHER suggestion in the forum.

Photoshop #1.jpg

Photoshop #2.jpg

Photoshop #3.jpg

Photoshop #4.jpg

Photoshop #5.jpg

Photoshop #6.jpg

If you NOTICE... PHOTOSHOP Does NOT appear on the OPEN WITH Folder after following the steps presented.

Lonnie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was just trying to help and while i can see the problem and think i know the solution), i also think it would be best for someone else to try and help you.

good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kglad, I truly am sorry for being so Snarky!  I'm frustrated BUT it wasn't okay for me to take that frustration out on you.  I really, really do appreciate your efforts in trying to help me.  Please accept my apology.  It is sincerely given and I'm embarrassed that I allowed my frustration at something Adobe has done (and continues to do) to come out at you.

Lonnie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and I didn't say what I just said because you might know the answer.  In fact, if I were you I'd probably not give it to me either -- which is quite okay.  Just wanted you to know that I'm seriously contrite and if you know how I can edit my posts I'd be glad to do so.  OR, if you want to use my post as an example of HOW NOT TO RESPOND you are welcome to do so.

Lonnie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kglad! 

I'm running the 64 bit version of Windows 7 and I've used Photoshop for YEARS.

I SO appreciate your help.

I went ahead and did every step you suggested BUT this time I took the time to document the steps I took.  Please look at the steps and tell me what I did incorrect?  I have also attempted to edit the Registry and all the other suggestions I've found in the forum. forum.

Photoshop #1.jpg

Photoshop #2.jpg

Photoshop #3.jpg

Photoshop #4.jpg

Photoshop #5.jpg

Photoshop #6.jpg

If you PHOTOSHOP doesn't appear on the OPEN WITH Folder after following the steps presented.

Lonnie

PS: I am SOOOO sorry for my attitude on the posts prior to this one.  Uggh!!  When I re-read what I wrote I thought to myself -- how could I be such a JERK??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kglad, please check your Messages.

I'm sitting here nearly unable to type because I was such an A**hole to you (I used asterisks because I don't want to offend anyone else).

Lonnie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lonnie,

Rename Photoshop.exe to OldPhotoshop.exe and then try to set Photoshop as the default program.

Other solution which is more permanent requires changes in registries, so i would recommend to perform a backup of registry.

Regards,

Gautam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you GautamHahl-

Renaming Photoshop.exe located in (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017) Oldphotoshop.exe has fixed the issue. Until the next update.

Note: make sure to create a new shortcut in your start menu because it will still be looking for the file name photoshop.exe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks to GautamHahl.  Works.  Let's see what the next update brings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you completely uninstalled the old version of photoshop and have nothing to rename but have this same issue....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kglad!  I am SOOO happy you called me out on how blatantly obnoxious I was being.  Even more I'm grateful as to how you did it so professionally.

I have had an extraordinarily difficult past week (surgery which required 19 staples), lots of pain meds etc.  I know there is NO excuse for my behavior or my attitude... I simply wanted to assure you that I am normally a LOT more cordial than I was to you.  You have my gratitude for so graciously accepting my apology and I hope you know it is heartfelt.

Lonnie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for the apology.  i appreciate that very much and i accept it.

addendum:  you can ignore the following if the adobe staff renaming works for you like the other poster.

(and now i feel like i better help get this solved or i'll have failed you.)  i'm not an adobe employee so please don't blame adobe for my failings (to help you and/or to read your messages carefully).

anyway, if you're comfortable editing your registry: I can't set a program as the default to open a filetype with in Windows 7 - Super User

if you're not comfortable, you should probably see if adobe support will help: contact adobe support during pst business hours by clicking here and, when available, click 'still need help', http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/service-ccm.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kanikas100,

Please check your Message box. 

Lonnie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Updated from Ps 2016 to 2017. Can not associate psd with photoshop. I can re-associate it was any application just not PS 2017. It wasn't to default to Ai. I tried uninstalling 2017 and reinstalling, this did not work. So, next step is to jump into the registry and try to manually do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

was having the same issue. this fixed it for me

had to switch registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5\Photoshop.exe" "%1"

to

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017\Photoshop.exe" "%1"

and that was it. Easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines