• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blue screen everytime i open a file i Photoshop.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From today Photoshop started to give me constant blue screens when I open a file in it. Dosen't matter what kind it is.

I've tried rolling back from the 2019 version to 2018 version with no luck. Installed newest drivers on the GPU no luck either.

9920x

MSI X299 SLI PLUS

980ti

Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz CL16

Samsung 970 EVO PLUS SSD

Windows 10

Built this PC in december. Everything new except the GPU.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the PC actually dies, with a blue screen of death?

Since an app CANNOT do that, you need to look at

* hardware

* drivers

* system

My first port of call would be GPU drivers. I see you've tried the latest, so try an older one. Try to work out what changed at the point of failure

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it started when I installed the 2019 version of Photoshop. But I haven't changed anything else when it started to crash.

And it's only in photoshop it happens. I tried Premiere pro and that worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue?"

This helped to the point i was adding a new layer(picture) to a document. But still crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The point being made by Test Screen Name is that an application cannot directly crash the operating system. However it can use the drivers and they can crash the operating system. Photoshop will make calls to the drivers that other applications do not use. Hence you may only see the driver crash when using Photoshop.

As well as the GPU driver I would look at any motherboard enhancement such as Turbo Boost and temporarily disable it to see if that is causing the crash. I've not seen any issue reported with your particular processor but we have seen issues in teh past which were resolved with MB BIOS updates.

Are you getting any error messages?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No error messages, directly to the blue screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a driver/hardware error - so definitely look at the drivers and temporarily disable any overclocking / turno-boost.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's stock settings in the bios, no overclocking. Will try disable the turbo-boost.

How should i check the drivers? See if there is any updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Yes but don't rely on Microsoft. Go to the manufacturers site to check them.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Driver Booster for drivers. Is that a good choice or should i do something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never used Driver Booster t so I can't comment. I just go direct to NVidia for my GPU - Nvidia allows you to select a Creator Ready driver for many GPUs which forgoes the latest gaming updates and is supposedly more stable on applications such as Photoshop.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okey.

Never seen the option "creator ready". I found it now but there isn't any drivers for that with my setup.

980ti

win10 64bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It appears that creator ready starts with the "10" series.

In that case try the latest Certified driver and be prepared to step backwards if that causes issues. Also when installing choose "Advanced" and then "Clean Install". This will remove remnants of previous drivers which may be causing an issue.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Alright.

I will give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not surprising that a crash happens only with one app. It still CAN'T be the app, because that's Microsoft's promise, but it's what the app asks the system, the drivers and the hardware to do: one of them goes wrong.

If Photoshop 2018 is also showing the same problem something else changed. Windows 10 is updating constantly, so something is always changing.  And it's also possible that you have a hardware fault. What is the blue screen message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The blue screen message is.

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines