• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot open NEF files since Adobe 2020 update

Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating to Adobe 2020 Photoshop and Lightroom I can no longer open NEF files. I have even gone back to NEF files I was previously able to open before the update and now cannot open these either!
The error is always 

Could not open “filename” because the file-format module cannot parse the file.

I have made sure my Camera Raw is up to date.

Please help!! I desperately need to work on these files. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS. 

I am able to open my files in Capture One so they are not corrupted 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, RAW image processing depends on the camera model, not on the extension, but what is your camera?

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi hi,

I have 2 camera models, NEFs from both are not working, and both which worked previously.

The older model is a Nikon D750, the newer is a Nikon Z6

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Nikon D750 is compatible with Camera Raw 8.7, and the Z6 is compatible with Camera Raw 11.1. So if you are currently using Camera Raw 12.0, it should be compatible with both models ...
It's strange.

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing that I would double-check is that your Camera Raw is up to date. I came across the following link in case it is not able to update.

I've had no issues with the Nikon Z7

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jose,

It's actually since I updated to Camera Raw 12.0 that the issue began

😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

Same exact issue. The files will open in Capture One and Preview (Mac). Updated Camera Raw plugin, which was presumably already up-to-date, with no luck. Tried removing Camera Raw (and Photoshop & Lightroom) and reinstalling, with no luck. Nothing seems to be fixing the issue. These are NEF files from a D800. Were you able to able to find a resolution?

Additionally, the following message occurs in Lightroom when viewing:

There was an error working with the photo.

And, when exporting the photo in Lightroom, the following is in the export results:

The file appears to be unsupported or damaged.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi hi.

I was able to find a solution but not a very satisfying one. I downgrade my photoshop, Lightroom and camera raw to their previous versions.
I haven’t had a single response from Adobe regarding the issue.
Very lame.
Someone told me there are bugs with the new camera raw so I’m hoping it will be resolved with the next update.

I hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frances, there is more staff participation in the https://feedback.photoshop.com forum.

Please start a discussion there, sharing as much info as possible; Ps/Lr/ACr version, how are the files accessed?

I would also try to post a picture somewhere, and post a link to that others can download and reproduce the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Frances,

Thank you very much!

I had tried to reinstall the older versions before, but was unable to get it to work. Camera Raw 12.0 was leaving some additional preference files on my Mac -- preventing the Camera Raw 11.4.1 installer from fully working (the CR plugin would install/finish, but Photoshop 20.0.7 still wouldn't open the files).

For anyone else with the same issue, the Camera Raw files that had to be deleted to reinstall 11.4.1 using the link posted above, search these folders:

/Library/Preferences/

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, suddenly can not read the .nef files from my nikon D850

Importing them in lightroom gives message; "The file appears to be unsupported or damaged"

Photoshop does open them, so not damaged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm usually not the first to shout "bug" - but this certainly feels like one.

The best thing you can do to make engineers aware is to post in the feedback forum. They monitor that. See the link in PECourtejoie's post above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found a solution to this yet? I'm at a loss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, The only solution seems to be running the previous versions of CR, PS & LR. If you do find a way to run the latest versions, please post it here. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

provisionally I have adopted the system of using a free software called "raw therapee" they can be modified as camera raw, save them in jpg and then work with photoshop.
But the boxes turn around a lot since I want the money every month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines