Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Checking box Legacy Compositing issue - Perfomance problem - not working

Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,
I can't turn on Lecay Compositing in Perfomance. No matter I check the box and restart photoshop, even though the check is marked when photoshop is open, this option does not work ie, i just have a new overlay mode preview/hover preview.
Fres installed windows, freshinstalled photoshop.
Download video (90MB 2 min video) to see what am i talking about, an example

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZsOwQ7fstKgzxRd-5hWSJJkt38wB_G0A 

What kind problem this bug is causing me, look at here
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/extreme-banding-in-photoshop-cc-2020-windows-and-macos/td-p... 

I tried absolutely everything, reset photoshop, installed fresh windows, new drivers, turned off graphics in performance, tried various commands ... absolutely everything, so this is exclusively a mistake of photoshop.
Please don't write to me about the drivers, or the graphics card or the display and etc... because that's not a problem.

And I want Adobe support to finally respond, thank you!
Because you probably know how to solve this problem.
Lecay Compositing in Perfomance does not work when it is checked!
(Yes I'm very angry because no one answers from Adobe)
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I ask anyone at Adobe to look at this and tell me what I'm wrong.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read that post in the other thread, but it's still not clear what you mean.

When you check "Legacy compositing", nothing is actually supposed to change - it's just supposed to work properly if it didn't before.

If you have the checkmark in preferences, then legacy compositing is on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it needs to change. Overlay modes preview needs to change. In the new version of photoshop (I think 2019) is a new feature - Hover mouse preview of overlay modes
Chek this video from 5:15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27RMFuzRvlA&t=493s

When Legacy Compositing is on, This new Feature/Option is no longer active ie. hover mouse not working.

EDIT:
You are right, nothing should change

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Yes I'm very angry because no one answers from Adobe"

This is a user-to-user forum. You can try Adobe Customer Care: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html
Click the chat icon in the lower right and type "agent".

Honestly, though, the volunteers who have been answering you have given you the correct information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I respect your efforts and your time very much, from all of you. But I can't solve this problem for a month, And I'm a little impatient.

Thanks for the help, I contacted adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be misunderstanding what Legacy Compositing does.

In the newer versions of Photoshop, the compositing engines are changing and more of the work is being put onto the GPU. The results should look identical whether on or off although as things move forward teh faster processing of the GPU may enable performance improvements.

However, this is a real core change to Photoshop and just in case certain GPUs or their drivers cause visible issues, the Legacy compositing checkbox enables the old compositing engine to be used. An example was an issue (now resolved) with drop shadows that were being cut off with the new engine and worked fine in the legacy engine.

If you are seeing no difference with it checked or unchecked then that means the newer GPU compositing on your machine is doing it's job and replicating the same composite as the old engine. In other words it is working.

Blending mode preview works correctly here whether or not "Use legacy compositing" is checked. That is the way it should be

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tnx Dave,
I am currently being assisted by  Adobe Help Center, I hope to resolve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, 
After assistance Adobee help center, I was able to improve, not completely solve the problem but it's much better now.
So, we disable  ACR 12.1, and install ACR 11.4.1 and setup Cache Level to 8 (in Performance)
I will definitely try ACR 10.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad that support have helped you, but changing the ACR version would not impact the Blending mode preview issue in your posts above at all. Blending mode preview is a Photoshop function and does not use ACR.

Similarly changing cache levels may improve screen redraw speed, depending on your document sizes, but would have no impact on the banding issue in your other post.

So either more items have been changed than those you list, or your description of issues is missing detail.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing with blending is just my illusion that this was a problem,  since I've been trying to solve this problem for over a month ie. extra noise and no soft shadows on raw conversion followed by banding.
Still not perfect, but it is better.
I tried the trial version of Capture one 20 and far better raw conversion, nice and smooth shadows without noise, in general do not have these symptoms that I have with ACR. But I can't pay double, so I'll work on this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went back to the other thread to try and figure out what the real problem is. It seems clear that layer compositing is a red herring. That was never relevant here - it was probably something you got as a stock answer from support. They don't always know what they're talking about. I don't think ACR version is relevant either.

Your three original screenshots (which I downloaded) are jpegs, so there will of course be 8 bit banding in these files regardless of how it originally looked on screen.

Bearing that in mind, I don't see anything beyond the expected. Yes, there is typical 8 bit banding in the two Photoshop examples. In the ACR screenshot first posted there is less - also expected because ACR uses dithering (slight noise) that will hide the banding. This carries over into the screenshot.

I still don't believe that the Radeon RX580 supports 10 bit in Photoshop. If anyone can convince me otherwise, I'm all ears. But it hasn't up till now.

I'm not saying there isn't banding here. I'm saying I can't see any more than what's normal and expected given the circumstances.

Banding is obviously tricky to document here, because even if you did have a 10 bit capable system, any screenshots would be reduced to 8 bit depth in jpeg or png - and then you have banding regardless. The only reliable way I can think of is saving out a screenshot as TIFF or PSD, in 16 bit depth, and attaching it here. I do have a functional 10 bit display system, so I should be able to see if there's anything out of the ordinary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Thank you for your commitment to this issue.

So after my detailed dedication to this problem,  after my research on Adobe Community, Windows, Eizo and finally Canon and direct communication with specific people.  I solved the problem.
I use a Canon 5D mark IV camera, some of these cameras have issue with sensor. Turns out my camera has this problem too. So when i did an update to Camera RAW 12.1 This problem became much more visible. But also, I had the latest version of my graphics card from AMD offical web which did not give the best performance.
Problem is this:
https://www.canonwatch.com/sensor-banding-issue-canon-eos-5d-mark-iv/ 

So, I switched to ACR 11.4.1 and that sensor problem became less apparent (I do not know why) and i installed asus latest driver version for my graphics card and guess what, my photoshop is doing great again.

So your suggestions and other volunteers were more than 100% correct,  but my RAW files had an error due to sensor issues. And that led me all the way to the wrong side ie. there were too many artifacts / banding and noise in my shadows at the start recorded in RAW.

The solution:
So, the correct graphics card driver (from Asus) and when I do my camera firmware update should solve this my problem 100%.

I hope you understand my frustrations and accept my apology. But if I hadn't been so persistent and hadn't written here, I would not have come to a solution. 
Therefore your and others persistence on the answers I took to it to seek a solution of the problem in other matters, ie. my camera and Asus driver. 
My insistence on gradients and brushes was totally wrong because my RAW was wrong at first and I was showing examples on that poorly/error developed RAW file

So thank you for your persistence, it was helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, so that's what it was...interesting, thanks for reporting back. And don't worry, I factored in a bit of frustration here 😉 It is frustrating when you can't get to the bottom of  things.

Banding is a really slippery issue. Just as you think you have it, it eels out of your hands again. What complicates it is that it's cumulative. A little here, a little there, it builds up. One single instance of regular 8 bit banding is generally not noticeable. Put two on top of each other, and it rapidly gets ugly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think this experience may help others who encounter a similar problem, a bad sensor on the camera, plus the wrong driver can cause a lot of trouble.
As soon as I do the firmware update I will send the results

Onece again Thank You! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines