Confusion about color range selections

Engaged ,
Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m using Photoshop 2021 in Windows 10.  The first image below shows a bit of greenery.  That piece is a separate layer, one of several layers, each with its own bit of foliage.  If I activate that one layer and do a color range selection, my expectation is that the selection applies only to that one selected layer.  However, as illustrated by the marching ants in the second image, the selection is applied to each of the layers.  In fact, the color range preview pane in the third image shows that the selection is applied not only to those layers (represented along the bottom of the pane) but to any visible layer that includes pixels of that color (e.g., the layer represented at the top right of the pane).  The only way I know to limit the selection to a single layer is to hide all other layers, which is inconvenient.  Is that it?  Or am I missing something?

A related question:  In this file, there are no saved selections (i.e., no channels other than the 4 RGB channels).  Yet, when I open the color range panel, I get the preview pane shown in the last image below.  This is before any selection has been made.  If no selection has been made, I would expect to see an empty, solid black pane.  Where do these “selections” come from?

4F3B8DF0-41C9-426E-A8CE-6F486CBE0A00.jpeg

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Confusion about color range selections

Engaged ,
Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m using Photoshop 2021 in Windows 10.  The first image below shows a bit of greenery.  That piece is a separate layer, one of several layers, each with its own bit of foliage.  If I activate that one layer and do a color range selection, my expectation is that the selection applies only to that one selected layer.  However, as illustrated by the marching ants in the second image, the selection is applied to each of the layers.  In fact, the color range preview pane in the third image shows that the selection is applied not only to those layers (represented along the bottom of the pane) but to any visible layer that includes pixels of that color (e.g., the layer represented at the top right of the pane).  The only way I know to limit the selection to a single layer is to hide all other layers, which is inconvenient.  Is that it?  Or am I missing something?

A related question:  In this file, there are no saved selections (i.e., no channels other than the 4 RGB channels).  Yet, when I open the color range panel, I get the preview pane shown in the last image below.  This is before any selection has been made.  If no selection has been made, I would expect to see an empty, solid black pane.  Where do these “selections” come from?

4F3B8DF0-41C9-426E-A8CE-6F486CBE0A00.jpeg

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 29, 2020 0

Have something to add?